+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married before landing in Canada.

Eienkei

Star Member
May 31, 2014
Hey all,

I have recently got my FSW visa, the thing is I am getting married soon. I was told that I should contact Visa Office before landing in case of marriage.

What will happen? Will they grant my wife a Visa too? Will it be a problem for my own Visa?

Thanks in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Eienkei said:
Hey all,

I have recently got my FSW visa, the thing is I am getting married soon. I was told that I should contact Visa Office before landing in case of marriage.

What will happen? Will they grant my wife a Visa too? Will it be a problem for my own Visa?

Thanks in advance.
You have two options:

1) either you land before you marry, then go back and get married, then return to Canada and sponsor your spouse for PR

or

2) you get married now, return your PR visa to your visa office stating you got married and request that your wife be added to your application. Your wife will need to fill out forms for background checks etc. and do medicals. If your wife is found medically inadmissible, so will you. If all goes well, you both get your PR visas and can land in Canada together.

Eienkei

Star Member
May 31, 2014
Leon said:
You have two options:

1) either you land before you marry, then go back and get married, then return to Canada and sponsor your spouse for PR

or

2) you get married now, return your PR visa to your visa office stating you got married and request that your wife be added to your application. Your wife will need to fill out forms for background checks etc. and do medicals. If your wife is found medically inadmissible, so will you. If all goes well, you both get your PR visas and can land in Canada together.
She already have police clearance and I don't think she has any medical problems. I really don't want to be away from her, other than medical reasons, is there any other thing I should be afraid of?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Eienkei said:
She already have police clearance and I don't think she has any medical problems. I really don't want to be away from her, other than medical reasons, is there any other thing I should be afraid of?
Before you get married, you should talk to the visa office about it to make sure they don't have a problem. Because you already got your visa, they could say that you should have told them you were getting married before you sent your passport and that it is already too late to add someone after the visa is issued. This is not really true because you can add someone as long as you didn't land yet but I have heard of such things happening. If that were to happen, you would have to appeal for your right to add your wife. However, if the visa office gives you the green light to get married and they will add your wife, you are ok.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I concur in what Leon has posted.

Since a lot of individuals make a serious mistake in similar circumstances, it warrants emphasizing or adding two salient things:

-- First: If your marital status changes prior to landing, you absolutely MUST notify CIC of this, and your partner MUST be ADDED to the application. This will cause at least a significant delay, and typically a rather substantial delay at minimum. Problem is, particularly with the visa already issued, there is also a significant risk of things going awry in this process, which can lead to very long delays or outright problems with obtaining the PR visa.

-- Secondly: It is worth remembering that an individual issued a PR visa can come to Canada, land, and then almost immediately leave Canada to return home. The newly landed PR has plenty of time then to settle affairs in his or her home country and then return to Canada to actually settle in Canada. Up to three years actually (except three years would be cutting it really close, relative to complying with the PR Residency Obligation, and depending on how close, not actually settling in Canada for nearly three years would leave little or no margin for travel in the two years following that).

Note: your situation is very, very common. Many aspiring immigrants face this dilemma, particularly so in the past when the processing time for PR applications could be several years, during which time of course it is common for a single person to get into a relationsip with the person who they want to share life with. But many people in your situation make bad decisions about how to proceed. And, as you indicate, it is not easy to balance the competing priorities involved. Couples usually prefer to be together, and this is especially compelling early in a relationship.

It is important to take a deep breath, examine all aspects of your circumstances, and conscientiously make choices about the best way to proceed, the best way for YOU to proceed. How to go about things now is a very personal decision, to be made based on your interests, your priorities, your circumstances.

Thus . . .

Longer elaboration on the above and related aspects:

If you marry before you land (or are in a common-law relationship), the partner must be added to the PR application, and processed, and the primary applicant cannot land and become a PR until this process is complete. Obviously this will result in at least some delay, a significant delay, and potentially a long delay. (CIC is not known for speedily handling such things.)

If you marry before you land (or are in a common-law relationship), and then land without properly declaring the change in marital status, you will be forever banned from sponsoring your partner . . . and, your own PR status may be in jeopardy for misrepresentation (by omission).

As already noted, an individual with a PR visa can come to Canada, do the landing, thereby become a landed PR, and leave the very next day to return to his home country or country of current residence. The only overriding obligation is to return to Canada in time to comply with the PR Residency Obligation, that is, to return to Canada in time to be present in Canada for at least 730 days prior to the fifth year anniversary of the day the PR landed.

Depending on your circumstances and location, a short trip to Canada to do the landing may be expensive, inconvenient, or even a very difficult to manage imposition. But that tends to be the better approach in your situation (unless, for example, you have already cohabitated long enough to be considered to be in a common-law relationship, in which case you have no choice, you must contact the visa office as soon as possible to declare the change in marital status, add your partner to the application, and see that process through).

This does not entirely solve the imbroglio you face, however, since a PR cannot sponsor a partner unless the PR is IN Canada, and while this requirement does not mandate that the PR stay full time in Canada, it does require the PR to be residing in Canada during the processing of the sponsored PR application. So before you could then sponsor your partner, you would need to return to and actually settle in Canada.

If your partner possesses a visa-exempt passport, your partner should be able to come to Canada with you when you return, at least to visit, and oft times CBSA will allow such a partner to enter Canada, issuing a Visitor's Record, for an extended period of time based on what is called "dual-intent." It is important to be fully upfront with the POE officers when attempting to do this. It could be tricky unless you have a definite home address in Canada and either employment or documented funds sufficient to support both of you. So to approach things this way, you may need to make multiple trips: one to land, next one to settle, and then return to in effect retrieve your partner (it is far better for you to be accompanying your partner when your partner comes to Canada seeking entry as a visitor with dual intent, this being the intent to visit contingent on seeking and obtaining sponsored PR status).

If your partner does not possess a visa-exempt passport, it can be very difficult or even impossible for the sponsored partner to visit Canada while the sponsored partner PR application is pending. Thus, this situation tends to be more complicated unless you are willing to settle in Canada, make the sponsored partner application, and but for typical holiday length trips to visit your partner, live apart (you in Canada), waiting for the sponsored PR visa application to be processed and the visa issued. While how you go about things in this situation (partner not visa-exempt) is, again, a very personal decision dependent on your priorities, one option is to do the landing, return home, then get married, stay at home a year or so, long enough to be more comfortable with a period of separation, then come to Canada to settle and commence the sponsored PR process.

Ultimately there are no easy solutions in these situations. But you should make yourself aware of what is involved, what is at stake, what the options are, and based on your best judgment navigate your way forward.

Some observations as to particular queries:

Eienkei said:

As noted, I concur in the observations by Leon, and otherwise the above discussion addresses these questions. But it may warrant further noting what is involved if you add your partner to the application (which again must be done if you marry before actually landing).

Your partner must of course be examined, and while a person without medical issues or criminal history or otherwise having a background raising security concerns should encounter no problem in this regard, the process can still take time. The medical exam must be done and then reviewed for example. Security clearance (background check from CIC's end) must be done, and even if relatively perfunctory, again CIC in not known for being particularly speedy in these matters.

Additionally, CIC must evaluate the relationship to determine its validity and its genuineness. CIC probably does not get bogged down with this when the primary applicant and partner have been in a marital relationship for some time prior to the making of the FSW PR application. But I suspect (actual practice may vary depending on the particular Visa Office involved) that for a primary applicant who has already been issued a PR visa, the Visa Office is likely to more closely examine the validity and genuineness of the qualifying relationship.

In any event, assuming everything is in order, the marriage is one valid in the jurisdiction where it takes place and is one that would be valid in Canada if it was to take place in Canada, and otherwise genuine, while this should be relatively NO problem, it will nonetheless take time and result in some delay. The amount of delay probably varies considerably depending on which Visa Office is involved and, of course, factors and circumstances particular to the individuals involved.

Eienkei said:
If you had not already been issued the PR visa, and the priority to stay together outweighs the impact of a delay in processing, this would be an easier decision to make. Get married, declare the relationship, and go through the process of having your partner added and examined.

I do not know, but where the visa has already been issued, I would be afraid of things that, as one might say, go-bump-in-the-night. That is vague, sure, and perhaps tinged with elements of paranoia. But bureaucracies work best when the process is simple, straight-forward, without complications, when the process is routine and standard. Throwing a complication into the process simply increases the risk of something going awry, something going off-the-rails so to say. And, remember, bureaucracies in general are not known for working all that well even when they are working at their best.

I suppose it makes a difference which Visa Office is involved. But I am not sure how one judges which Visa Offices are more likely to complete the process efficiently versus which ones are at risk for things getting bogged down or otherwise going awry.

Further observations regarding failure to declare change in marital status prior to, or at the very latest at the time of landing:

Perhaps the most common mistake made in these situations is for the individual with the PR visa to come to Canada and land without declaring the change in marital status and without formally adding the partner to the application.

As noted above, the failure to notify CIC and have the partner included in the application results in the PR being forever prohibited from sponsoring the partner for PR. This happens with some frequency. CIC is almost always unrelenting, utterly unforgiving.

Additionally, landing without giving notice of the change in marital status constitutes a misrepresentation, a misrepresentation by omission, in failing to notify CIC of a material change in circumstances. Note that even if the POE officer who processes the landing does not clearly ask the question, as to whether there has been any change in marital status, the landing PR's marital status should be identified in the CoPR, which the landing PR must sign at the time of landing, the signature verifying that the information in it is correct. Thus if the PR's marital status at the time of landing is different from what is indicated in the CoPR, that is a material misrepresentation even if the BSO/CBSA officer conducting the landing interview fails to ask about marital status. This can result in the loss of PR status.

I have seen a number of reports, anecdotal accounts posted in forums like this one, of PRs who assert that they informed the POE officer (BSO or CBSA officer) conducting the landing interview that they had married, and the officer went ahead and processed the landing anyway. And then when they went to sponsor their partners for PR, CIC ruled that they were forever banned from sponsoring their partners. I cannot say why things happened the way they did at the POE for these individuals. I can say, however, with emphasis, that if a PR is married at the time of landing, and the PR's partner is not included in the application, the PR will be forever banned from sponsoring the partner.

Overall, there are some pitfalls lurking for individuals in these situations, which are quite common, and again, ultimately, there are no easy solutions. Again, the PR in this situation should make himself or herself aware of what is involved, what is at stake, what the options are, and based on his or her priorities and best judgment navigate the way forward cognizant of the pitfalls and how to avoid them.

Reactions: sk_achary

whitefang

Sep 27, 2015
Getting separated before landing to Canada

Dear All

Its my 1st time to send a query, hopefully someone can give me advise on how to proceed.

I already received my PR, i applied together with my common law partner and son, both of them received there PRs as well, my concern is my partner and i started to be cold to each other due to incompatibility to many things.

my question is do i have to report that he will not join me in canada? or is it ok not to report it po?

thank you in advance for your help

whitefang

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Getting separated before landing to Canada

whitefang said:
Dear All

Its my 1st time to send a query, hopefully someone can give me advise on how to proceed.

I already received my PR, i applied together with my common law partner and son, both of them received there PRs as well, my concern is my partner and i started to be cold to each other due to incompatibility to many things.

my question is do i have to report that he will not join me in canada? or is it ok not to report it po?

thank you in advance for your help

whitefang
After you've landed as PR's, there is absolutely no duty to report anything about your marital status to immigration. It will not affect your status in any way if he chooses not to live with you in Canada but if you reconcile your differences, it's also fine if he does.

vibhu_kk

Oct 14, 2015
Leon said:
Before you get married, you should talk to the visa office about it to make sure they don't have a problem. Because you already got your visa, they could say that you should have told them you were getting married before you sent your passport and that it is already too late to add someone after the visa is issued. This is not really true because you can add someone as long as you didn't land yet but I have heard of such things happening. If that were to happen, you would have to appeal for your right to add your wife. However, if the visa office gives you the green light to get married and they will add your wife, you are ok.
@Leon and @dpenabill

Thanks for detailed response. But I have an additional query on top of the above mentioned solution.

The PR Visa is stamped for approximately a year from the date of the medical examination.

Now I wish to "Land" in Canada with my to-be spouse, and the processing of her PR could take 10-17 months as per CIC timelines. My PR is surely expected to expire in this span of time, and I can't do my Landing formalities without my spouse!
How does one come out of this soup? Is there a workaround where I can be married, and still travel with an individual PR (of course after declaring to the authorities that I am married), while the PR for my spouse is being processed?
Alternately, if they allow me to travel alone without my partner having to have her name on my PR Visa, and I can become a sponsor and get her there.

In either of the 2 cases, I would require some kind of a permit that allows me to declare that I am married, yet travel alone without my partner's name on my Visa, as I wouldn't want my PR Visa to expire :-X

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once you get married, your PR visa you got as a single person is automatically invalid because your family composition has changed. You can not land on that visa after getting married because doing so would be misrepresentation.

If the visa office has allowed you to add your wife to the application, they will issue new visas for you both. You would have to wait until you get the new visa. You may have to re-do your medicals as they expire.

vibhu_kk said:
@Leon and @dpenabill

Thanks for detailed response. But I have an additional query on top of the above mentioned solution.

The PR Visa is stamped for approximately a year from the date of the medical examination.

Now I wish to "Land" in Canada with my to-be spouse, and the processing of her PR could take 10-17 months as per CIC timelines. My PR is surely expected to expire in this span of time, and I can't do my Landing formalities without my spouse!
How does one come out of this soup? Is there a workaround where I can be married, and still travel with an individual PR (of course after declaring to the authorities that I am married), while the PR for my spouse is being processed?
Alternately, if they allow me to travel alone without my partner having to have her name on my PR Visa, and I can become a sponsor and get her there.

In either of the 2 cases, I would require some kind of a permit that allows me to declare that I am married, yet travel alone without my partner's name on my Visa, as I wouldn't want my PR Visa to expire :-X

vibhu_kk

Oct 14, 2015
Leon said:
Once you get married, your PR visa you got as a single person is automatically invalid because your family composition has changed. You can not land on that visa after getting married because doing so would be misrepresentation.

If the visa office has allowed you to add your wife to the application, they will issue new visas for you both. You would have to wait until you get the new visa. You may have to re-do your medicals as they expire.
Understood!
But I guess I am lost here. So how does one initiate sponsorship sitting in Canada for a new wedded spouse when you mentioned that the PR becomes invalid the moment you change your marital status. To clarify:

1. I have landed in Canada as a bachelor and acquired my PR.
2. I need to go back to my country to get married. According to you, my existing PR becomes invalid once my marital status changes
3. How can I ever become a sponsor and initiate PR from Canada for my spouse if I can't travel back with an invalid PR Visa?
4. and if I am getting my spouse's name embossed on my PR from my home country, when does the case of becoming a sponsor and bringing a spouse exist.

Apologies if the question/scenario is redundant...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
vibhu_kk said:
Understood!
But I guess I am lost here. So how does one initiate sponsorship sitting in Canada for a new wedded spouse when you mentioned that the PR becomes invalid the moment you change your marital status. To clarify:

2. I need to go back to my country to get married. According to you, my existing PR becomes invalid once my marital status changes
3. How can I ever become a sponsor and initiate PR from Canada for my spouse if I can't travel back with an invalid PR Visa?
4. and if I am getting my spouse's name embossed on my PR from my home country, when does the case of becoming a sponsor and bringing a spouse exist.
Your posts are contradictory and you need to clarify your current situation. Do you have a PR visa and still have to "land" in Canada by a certain date to activate your PR status? Or have you already used your PR visa to "land" in Canada and activate your PR status. Your first post makes it sound like you still have to land in Canada and want to take your spouse with you. Your second post makes it sound like you have already landed in Canada. You need to clarify which is correct if you expect a clear answer from this forum.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vibhu_kk said:
Understood!

1. If your PR visa is issued when you are single but before you land you get married then your PR visa is invalid for use to land. You must notify the visa office of the marriage and return the COPR and passport for PR visa cancellation. If you still wish to obtain Canadian PR then you add your spouse to the application which includes filling out the prerequisite forms and paying the applicable fees. Your spouse must pass medical and background checks. If all is clear you both get issued new PR visas and COPRs with a new expiry date. If your background and medical checks expire in this process they must be re-done. If you and/or your spouse fails any of the checks then the application is closed off.

2. If your PR visa is issued, you land then get married you can sponsor your spouse thereafter as a member of the Family Class. You and your spouse must meet the eligibility criteria for this. The advantage of going this route is that in the unfortunate situation where say your spouse has a medial or background issue at least one person in the relationship has PR status and you can try work out how to deal with he issues causing the failures then re-apply if these are resolved. Note that PRs need to be living in Canada during the sponsorship process..the odd vacation is ok but if you appear to be living abroad then the sponsorship will fail.

3. If your PR visa is issued, you marry but don't inform CIC then land your spouse is permanently ineligible for sponsorship as they are not considered a member of the Family Class. Approximately 80% of the sponsorship appeals to the IAD are on this ground alone. The IAD is unable to deal with any sponsorship cases where the person being sponsored in not a member of the Family Class. You are also likely going to face removal proceedings as being inadmissible for misrepresentation.

4. Don't confuse PR visa with PR status. Once you land the PR Visa which is a one time entry document is now used up but you hold PR status subject to being in compliance of the RO. Your PR Card will be your status document for travel purposes.You can use your PR Card to travel back and forth from Canada. If you do not have a PR card then depending on your passport you can apply for a PRTD to return to Canada, use your visitor visa exempt passport, or travel via a US/ Canada land border on non commercial transport. The CBSA agent at the border will deal with your admission as a a PR.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vibhu_kk said:
Understood!

1. So far.. so good.

2. No, that is not what I said. The PR visa becomes invalid if you get married before you land. This is because your spouse must be added to your application and examined before the decision can be made on your dual PR if you apply together. Landing on a visa you got as a single person after getting married would be seen as misrepresentation and that is serious business, you would be barred from ever sponsoring your spouse and could lose your PR yourself. If you land on your visa before getting married, there is no problem and you will land as a PR and gain your PR status.

3. The PR visa is for single use only. Once you become a PR, you can not use the PR visa to enter again. You must use your PR card or if you don't stay in Canada long enough to get it in the mail, you can apply for a PR travel document at the visa office in your home country.

4. You have two options. 1) You land before getting married, then come back, get married, then go back to Canada and apply to sponsor your wife or 2) you get married now, return your PR visa and ask to add your wife to your application and you will both get PR visas together and can land together. In this case, there is no sponsorship, however, your PR depends on your wife passing background checks and medicals, otherwise, you will not get one either.

eefromusa

Aug 21, 2015
I have another problem and would appreciate some guidance..

Got PR in Oct 2015 and was planning to land in April 2016 (as it is 1 yr from medical date)
Planning to get married in Dec 2015.
I understand i need to declare to CIC that I got married. my problem is that my husband does not want to move or land in Canada for next 2-3 years. If i apply for him- he will have to do the landing within 1 yr of his medical.

Is there an option that I declare about marriage but do not apply for him.