+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Married after PPR

Hetalc17

Jul 16, 2018
I received my Ready for Visa email and need to submit my passport in 1 month.

I am getting married in May. What is the best option to add my spouse to my application

Option 1: I submit my passport, get married in may and inform cic

Option2: Sponsorship (not willing to do this as its a long process and takes 1 year)

I have few questions wit Option1:

1) Should I send my passport now, or inform cic about my marriage in May?
2) If I submit my passport , how can I inform cic about my marriage, will it be once I land in Canada?
3) Will I be able to enter Canada , or they will cancel my COPR?

Thanks a lot in Advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jit97

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
You can't inform them until you are actually legally married.
You either land first then get married and sponsor your spouse after. Or marry before you land and add your spouse to your current application
Your option 1 will not work.

Hetalc17

Jul 16, 2018
You can't inform them until you are actually legally married.
You either land first then get married and sponsor your spouse after. Or marry before you land and add your spouse to your current application
Your option 1 will not work.

I can submit my passport now, get married in May. How do I inform cic about my marriage?

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Submit your passport now, get your COPR back. As long as it's valid until after May, you can get married in May, inform IRCC, send your COPR back, submit other documents for your spouse, i.e . marriage certificate, PCC, medical, etc. Then wait till they finish processing your spouse and issue you both new COPRs

If for whatever reason, your COPR will expire before May then you will have to land first, or get married immediately.

Hetalc17

Jul 16, 2018
Submit your passport now, get your COPR back. As long as it's valid until after May, you can get married in May, inform IRCC, send your COPR back, submit other documents for your spouse, i.e . marriage certificate, PCC, medical, etc. Then wait till they finish processing your spouse and issue you both new COPRs

If for whatever reason, your COPR will expire before May then you will have to land first, or get married immediately.

Thanks a lot!

vinay16

Dec 30, 2018
Thank you so much for detailed answer. I was trying to find answer to similar questions.

Monash0910

May 23, 2019
Hi,

It's been 6 months since we got married and updated CIC, my husband being the principal applicant has updated his express entry with my details and docs. My UID was generated withing one month i.e. by the end of Jan..when can I expect ppr..is this normal? Coz I read that this type of scenario has 2-4 months of processing time however we have crossed that..

mehdi.bdr

Oct 12, 2022
I received my Ready for Visa email and need to submit my passport in 1 month.

I am getting married in May. What is the best option to add my spouse to my application

Option 1: I submit my passport, get married in may and inform cic

Option2: Sponsorship (not willing to do this as its a long process and takes 1 year)

I have few questions wit Option1:

1) Should I send my passport now, or inform cic about my marriage in May?
2) If I submit my passport , how can I inform cic about my marriage, will it be once I land in Canada?
3) Will I be able to enter Canada , or they will cancel my COPR?

Thanks a lot in Advance!
Hello your case is pretty similar to mine, i have received an invite to deposit my passport at the embassy for PR. i would like to get married and add my wife to my application. can you tell us about your experience please ?<

if i give them the passport now and then add my wife will they recalculate our points from scratch or will be just an evaluation of her documents with an update of proof of funds and Medicals?<

Thanks in advance !

mehdi.bdr

Oct 12, 2022

Hello i'm in the same case, i have received an invite to deposit my passport at the embassy for PR. i would like to get married and add my wife to my application.

if i give them the passport now and then add my wife will they recalculate our points from scratch or will be just an evaluation of her documents with an update of proof of funds and Medicals?

Thanks in advance !