+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married after PPR

Aroonabi

Star Member
Jan 14, 2016
I am single applicant, have recently got PPR and have sent the passport for stamping. My medical date is Apr 14, 2017 and hence I have to land in Canada before Apr 13, 2018. I am planning to move to Canada next year and hence planning to do soft landing before April 2018. I am also planning to get married during this period. My questions are as follows:
1. Should I do soft landing before getting married? Will there be any issue if I add my spouse post my soft landing?
2. Should I get married before April 2018, add spouse to my PR and then do soft landing.

Which of the above is advisable?

3. How long does it takes to add spouse if you have already landed in Canada and have PR Card?

Thanks
You should get married befor you land because adding your spouse after landing is a long process whereas adding your spouse before landing takes just a couple of months. Please go through this post grom page one. U will get your answers

ginichi

Aug 1, 2017
Dear fellow members, Could you please help me for the following question:

I have received COPR and Visa as single applicant last week, which expiration due in December 2017. During the application process I met with a girl and reached decision to marry her recently. I plan to get married before landing so that i could include my wife in the application now, rather than going alone first and sponsor her later.

For the documentation, I could legally get married now and provide to CIC the marriage certificate (along with other required docs like pcc, medical,...), but the photos for the traditional ceremony to prove the relationship would be a problem given that it has been scheduled to take place in November, so its not possible to give them right now.

can I write LOE to explain to them my situation and complete those photos later ? Has anyone been in the same situation like me before ?

Darko986

Star Member
May 24, 2016
Macedonia
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
VIENNA
Nomination.....
27-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
Med's Request
upfront
Passport Req..
19-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
22-05-2017
Dear fellow members, Could you please help me for the following question:

I have received COPR and Visa as single applicant last week, which expiration due in December 2017. During the application process I met with a girl and reached decision to marry her recently. I plan to get married before landing so that i could include my wife in the application now, rather than going alone first and sponsor her later.

For the documentation, I could legally get married now and provide to CIC the marriage certificate (along with other required docs like pcc, medical,...), but the photos for the traditional ceremony to prove the relationship would be a problem given that it has been scheduled to take place in November, so its not possible to give them right now.

can I write LOE to explain to them my situation and complete those photos later ? Has anyone been in the same situation like me before ?
You should be fine as long as you can explain your situation. You can also support your claims with some physical evidences like wedding invitations, or payment receipt for the restaurant or the place where the wedding will be held.
The one thing could be suspicious to CIC in my opinion is why you are getting married legally before the wedding ceremony and not doing it all at the same time.

The point is CIC might ask for proof of relationship. If you have enough documents to claim your relationship is genuine, you should be ok.

Vishal A

Apr 9, 2016
You should get married befor you land because adding your spouse after landing is a long process whereas adding your spouse before landing takes just a couple of months. Please go through this post grom page one. U will get your answers
Thank you

Aroonabi

Star Member
Jan 14, 2016
Varies depending on complexities involved in spouse's medicals/PCC(s)/travel history etc. Typically between 4 to 8 weeks of delay.
this 4-8 weeks time is 'after the docs have been reached there' or 'after they say they have received the docs'? Because in my case the docs reached there on 24th june and AOR came only on 12july.

Darko986

Star Member
May 24, 2016
Macedonia
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
VIENNA
Nomination.....
27-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
Med's Request
upfront
Passport Req..
19-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
22-05-2017
I have received request for additional documents for my spouse.
I have upload box named "Proof of relationship". The info says this may include:
-Marriage certificate,
-common-law statutory declaration,
-birth certificate etc.

Can somebody advise or share his experience what else except the marriage certificate should I upload here and how many of it (photos, conversations or else)??

Apr 6, 2017
I have received request for additional documents for my spouse.
I have upload box named "Proof of relationship". The info says this may include:
-Marriage certificate,
-common-law statutory declaration,
-birth certificate etc.

Can somebody advise or share his experience what else except the marriage certificate should I upload here and how many of it (photos, conversations or else)??
What does your request specifically say? For me, I received a "Request Letter" (PDF, downloaded from MyCIC account) stating clearly which documents they need. There are also several "upload box" open for me (1 for birth cert, 1 for marriage cert, etc). I'm EE FSW-O by the way, but I guess we should be similar?

I just submitted the docs yesterday and start to wait.

Darko986

Star Member
May 24, 2016
Macedonia
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
VIENNA
Nomination.....
27-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
Med's Request
upfront
Passport Req..
19-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
22-05-2017
What does your request specifically say? For me, I received a "Request Letter" (PDF, downloaded from MyCIC account) stating clearly which documents they need. There are also several "upload box" open for me (1 for birth cert, 1 for marriage cert, etc). I'm EE FSW-O by the way, but I guess we should be similar?

I just submitted the docs yesterday and start to wait.
Dec 15, 2016 at 12:17 AM
deadbird said:
What is required for proof of relationship. I was thinking of submitting marriage certificate and pictures of the ceremony. Anything else you would recommend?
You'll also be asked for a completed Principal Applicant Relationship Assessment Questionnaire & Spouse Relationship Assessment Questionnaire. As well as the following:

- Relationship photos (Wedding photographs depicting all the rituals of a traditional wedding, wedding reception and post wedding photographs, commitment ceremony photos from outings together trips, honeymoon, etc. (10–15 photos max)
- If you are living together, evidence such as copy of bills, bank statements, lease agreement, drivers licenses showing your names and address (10–15 pages max)

BTW Congratulations!!

This was posted earlier on this forum. I think lot of people submitted photos of the wedding along with the certificate. But I am also not sure if this is preferred to be done or not.
Anybody that's in the process or already finished can write his experience!!

Darko986

Star Member
May 24, 2016
Macedonia
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
VIENNA
Nomination.....
27-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
Med's Request
upfront
Passport Req..
19-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
22-05-2017
I received this response from CHC, Pretoria:

"We wish to advise that you are correct in stating that your spouse needs to be added to your application. She has to be examined even if she is not accompanying you to Canada at this stage. Apologies if this was not clearly explained to you before.

You need to do the following:

Return the COPR form and your original passport to our office for cancellation.

To add your spouse to your application we require the following documents:
-Copy of your spouse's birth certificate .
- Copy of your marriage certificate.
- Original police certificates from all the countries your spouse has resided in for longer than 6 months after the age of 18.
- Completed Schedule A Background/Declaration form and Additional Family Information form (IMM5406)for your spouse.
- Updated Generic Application Form For Canada (IMM0008 ) and updated IMM5406 "Additional Family Information" form for yourself.
The abovementioned forms can be downloaded from the following website: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/southafrica-afriquedusud/visas/forms-formulaires.aspx
All documents must be translated into English or French by a Sworn Translator, if applicable.
"
Hey DyIB

I am in the same situation as you were.
Can you please share your timeline after adding spouse?
Did they keep the passport at the office all the time during the processing of your spouse until the second PPR??

Thanks

Darko986

Star Member
May 24, 2016
Macedonia
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
VIENNA
Nomination.....
27-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
Med's Request
upfront
Passport Req..
19-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
22-05-2017
Asking for updated POF is at VO's discretion. When I got married while my application was still in progress, Vienna VO did not ask me for updated POF as well. I sent them only what they asked for, and it all went through fine.
Hey alok4best

Can you please share your timeline to PPR after CIC received additional documents for your spouse? Did you have any complications with the process?
I am also at Vienna. Strangely in the first request for docs they didn't ask for IMM 5562 (travel form) and medicals.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Hey alok4best

Can you please share your timeline to PPR after CIC received additional documents for your spouse? Did you have any complications with the process?
I am also at Vienna. Strangely in the first request for docs they didn't ask for IMM 5562 (travel form) and medicals.
Hey Drako. We were one of the last ones to be processed under the old FSW system so my timelines might not be a true reflection of things work under express entry.
In those days, applications were initially sent to CIC in Canada who will do prelim checks to ensure the points we claim are genuine. My application was forwarded to Vienna in first week of April 2015. I dropped them a note about my marriage as soon as I managed to find this.

The only thing they asked for my wife at that time was a copy of marriage certificate, and her birth certificates and passport, along with updated copies of family and dependent information forms (sorry I don't recall what the form numbers are now). I also sent police clearance certificates for my wife along with these.

They did not ask for updated proof of funds. After this there was a lull for sometime. Later, towards the end of June, I was sent medical request forms for both of us. We did the medicals within few days. And within the next 2 weeks, we were asked to pay RPRF and send our passports for stamping. I paid the RPRF online, but we traveled to Vienna in person to get the stamping done as we wanted to visit the city anyway. We finally traveled there first week of August and eventually moved to Toronto in November. There were no complications about adding my wife since I was not claiming any points for her education or work experience. Compared to other people who had their apps being processed at Vienna around the same time, ours was delayed by just a week. I hope it helps.

Reactions: Darko986

Darko986

Star Member
May 24, 2016
Macedonia
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
VIENNA
Nomination.....
27-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
Med's Request
upfront
Passport Req..
19-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
22-05-2017
Hey Drako. We were one of the last ones to be processed under the old FSW system so my timelines might not be a true reflection of things work under express entry.
In those days, applications were initially sent to CIC in Canada who will do prelim checks to ensure the points we claim are genuine. My application was forwarded to Vienna in first week of April 2015. I dropped them a note about my marriage as soon as I managed to find this.

The only thing they asked for my wife at that time was a copy of marriage certificate, and her birth certificates and passport, along with updated copies of family and dependent information forms (sorry I don't recall what the form numbers are now). I also sent police clearance certificates for my wife along with these.

They did not ask for updated proof of funds. After this there was a lull for sometime. Later, towards the end of June, I was sent medical request forms for both of us. We did the medicals within few days. And within the next 2 weeks, we were asked to pay RPRF and send our passports for stamping. I paid the RPRF online, but we traveled to Vienna in person to get the stamping done as we wanted to visit the city anyway. We finally traveled there first week of August and eventually moved to Toronto in November. There were no complications about adding my wife since I was not claiming any points for her education or work experience. Compared to other people who had their apps being processed at Vienna around the same time, ours was delayed by just a week. I hope it helps.
Hey alok4best
Your info is very helpful. According to your case i think the procedure of adding a dependent after ppr would be pretty much the same. I have request for the same docs as in your case. I was interested mostly in your timeline specifically for Vienna, but it seems it is similar to the previous statements on this forum, the second PPR should come somewhere between 2-3 months after addition (if no additional complications regarding background checks etc.). Hope everything will go smooth.
Thanks

Reactions: alok4best

rokee

Jul 8, 2016
Hi Guys, I got married on the 19th of July. I sent them all required docs like updated forms,marriage cert,birth cert of my wife and all docs they could request for. I sent them via mail on the 21st of July. I haven't heard from them since. I am a PNP applicant and already got visa stamped. Any ideas on how these tins work?

Darko986

Star Member
May 24, 2016
Macedonia
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
VIENNA
Nomination.....
27-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
Med's Request
upfront
Passport Req..
19-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
22-05-2017
Hi Guys, I got married on the 19th of July. I sent them all required docs like updated forms,marriage cert,birth cert of my wife and all docs they could request for. I sent them via mail on the 21st of July. I haven't heard from them since. I am a PNP applicant and already got visa stamped. Any ideas on how these tins work?
You have to notify CIC about your marital status change.
You can do it through web form : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp or with a reply to your ppr email direct to the local visa office.
Then you wait for them to respond and send you spouse kit along with instructions for further steps. This may take some time until they respond.
After you will have to return the passport and COPR to the visa office and submit additional documentation.
Good luck

Reactions: JJ0110