+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married after COPR is issued

medchen23

Jul 11, 2023
Hello,

I got married on April 29th just 1 day after my COPR was issued.
As it was suggested by IRCC and in different threads, I informed IRCC through webfroms on May 11th about my marital status change and I have attached different documents (IMM forms, PCC for my wife, passport copy of my wife,...etc.).
My COPR will expire on November 23rd and I still didn't receive any feedback regarding the application status although I have also paid the processing fees online beginning of this week and sent the receipt to IRCC through a webform.
I would like to know whether it will be wiser to land there and report my marital change to the border agent by showing the exchange with IRCC and the marriage certificate or should I wait for IRCC to contact me even if my COPR will expire?
Please note that I need to know how to proceed since I may leave my work to go to Canada before the expiry of my COPR and I need to book a ticket and find a job in advance.
Any piece of support or guidance will be much appreciated.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hello,

As it was suggested by IRCC and in different threads, I informed IRCC through webfroms on May 11th about my marital status change and I have attached different documents (IMM forms, PCC for my wife, passport copy of my wife,...etc.).
My COPR will expire on November 23rd and I still didn't receive any feedback regarding the application status although I have also paid the processing fees online beginning of this week and sent the receipt to IRCC through a webform.
I would like to know whether it will be wiser to land there and report my marital change to the border agent by showing the exchange with IRCC and the marriage certificate or should I wait for IRCC to contact me even if my COPR will expire?
Please note that I need to know how to proceed since I may leave my work to go to Canada before the expiry of my COPR and I need to book a ticket and find a job in advance.
I am not sure but as I had read on this forum that the said eCOPR will cancel as your composition has changed. Don't book the ticket now.

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Hello,

You have done what was needed, just keep following up with IRCC.

You cannot change martial status when you land. That is ABSOLUTE NO NO .

Mar 7, 2024
Hi, did IRCC finally sent you a new COPR? Did they extended the validity, or you had to travel before november 23rd? I am in the same exact situation as you, my COPR expires in Apr 24th, 2024 (about 1 month from now), and I still don't know how to proceed since I need to resign my job with at least 1 month notice, sell my car, book tickets... I am very very anxious, any information would be greatly appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, did IRCC finally sent you a new COPR? Did they extended the validity, or you had to travel before november 23rd? I am in the same exact situation as you, my COPR expires in Apr 24th, 2024 (about 1 month from now), and I still don't know how to proceed since I need to resign my job with at least 1 month notice, sell my car, book tickets... I am very very anxious, any information would be greatly appreciated.
Did your marital status change since you got COPR? If wanting an extension for your COPR because you need more time to move you will not be given an extension. You can land in Canada before the COPR expires and return to your home country right away which is called a soft landing.

Mar 7, 2024
Did your marital status change since you got COPR? If wanting an extension for your COPR because you need more time to move you will not be given an extension. You can land in Canada before the COPR expires and return to your home country right away which is called a soft landing.
Yes I got married and notified IRCC, they requested the usual documents (proof genuine relationship, PCC, marriage certificate, etc) and now I am waiting for final decision. The thing is, my initial COPR expires in 1 month

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Yes I got married and notified IRCC, they requested the usual documents (proof genuine relationship, PCC, marriage certificate, etc) and now I am waiting for final decision. The thing is, my initial COPR expires in 1 month
If you got married after your COPR was issued and now you are adding spouse to your application, your current COPR is automatically cancelled and doesn’t matter even if it is expiring soon. They will issue you new once all requirements have been met.

Reactions: canuck78
Mar 7, 2024
Ok thanks, but the question still remain: what is the expiry date of the new COPR? Would be the same as the previous one, that is one month from now?