+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

getting fired, employee reference letter + contract employment

notee

Star Member
Mar 17, 2014
Hi! I plan to apply for PR using a job I got fired from in addition to a new role I am currently working at. I had a few questions:

- anyone had luck getting an employee reference letter from somewhere they got fired from?
-should i apply using this experience?
- my current role is a contract, i am being contracted by a staffing agency so it's a bit tricky? Should I get reference from both the staffing agency and the company I am being contracted to?

Would be great if anyone had any insights regarding my questions, thank you!

notee

Star Member
Mar 17, 2014
hmmm are you sure you got fired? It sounds more like getting laid off. It's totally different.
pretty sure i was lol

this is basically the difference
"Termination of employment in Ontario can occur in two different ways: (i) termination without cause; or (ii) termination for cause. An employee who has been terminated without cause is presumed to be entitled to reasonable notice of dismissal or pay in lieu of notice of dismissal (a.k.a. a severance package). In contrast, an employee who has been terminated for cause because of a serious act of misconduct is not entitled to notice of dismissal or a severance package."

adaytoremember

Sep 18, 2014
"Fired" generally refers to termination for cause. "Laid off" generally refers to termination without cause. I know I'm arguing semantics, but you were definitely not fired.

As for your original questions, applying using this experience shouldn't be a problem, but you would be the best judge of that. It mostly depends on your current relationship with your previous employer. Regarding your new job, yes, I would obtain letters from both your staffing agency and the company to which you are contracted.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi! I plan to apply for PR using a job I got fired from in addition to a new role I am currently working at. I had a few questions:

- anyone had luck getting an employee reference letter from somewhere they got fired from?
-should i apply using this experience?
Depends if you are able to provide the required documents. And per the above discussion, it sounds like you were "laid off" (not fired). Do you have your ROE? What does it say is the reason for the termination?

- my current role is a contract, i am being contracted by a staffing agency so it's a bit tricky?
Lots of people in the same situation have succeeded.

Should I get reference from both the staffing agency and the company I am being contracted to?
Yes, it is important to get letters from both.

notee

Star Member
Mar 17, 2014
Thanks for your response! The reason given on my ROE was "Restructuring of Role." i don't remember the particular code given, something i would have to check for later.

notee

Star Member
Mar 17, 2014
"Fired" generally refers to termination for cause. "Laid off" generally refers to termination without cause. I know I'm arguing semantics, but you were definitely not fired.

As for your original questions, applying using this experience shouldn't be a problem, but you would be the best judge of that. It mostly depends on your current relationship with your previous employer. Regarding your new job, yes, I would obtain letters from both your staffing agency and the company to which you are contracted.

I figure it doesn't hurt to try to ask them for it which is what I will do