+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

getting canadian ID for temp worker

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Dear forum members
I will enter Canada as temp worker.
After getting my SIN can I apply for ID?
Or, what document should I bring with me for identification?
Probably I won't need to keep my passport with me at work every day?

abouttoland

Aug 26, 2013
bring your drivers licence and get a provincial licence, depending on your country you might be able to do a straight swap.

then go from there, bring you passport, birth cert, an international drivers licence

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Thanks for the answer, just to clarify:

So If I bring my passport, birth cert and international driver licence I can get provincial ID?
Do I need to brig any document as a proof that I am temp resident of the province, like work permit, utility bill etc?
This provincial ID is the document that I need to have with me when I travel across Canada?

abouttoland

Aug 26, 2013
it will get you a drivers licence, which is a spring board to other id as you qualify.

For OHIP, you need proof of imigration status and drivers licence, this is only for Ontario, i dont know anything about other provinces or travelling to other provinces

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Dear abouttoland

If I bring the mentioned document I won't get driving licence. I need to pass written exam and then driving exam?
Are you suggesting that the only way to get photo Id is to first get driving licence?
Thanks

abouttoland

Aug 26, 2013
No its not the only way, but kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

In Ontario, at Service Ontario offices you can get an official I'd card too.
The written test is easy - common sense questions, then you can sit either of the full tests within 90 days, in the meantime use the International licemce.
I'm sure its somewhere on the forum about driving here.
Bring proof of insurance from home too.

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Dear abouttoland

Maybe you are right, I will try to get driving licence and then photo id.
About the driving test, as I know you need to bring your own car. Can it be rental car?

About the insurance, is it ok if I bring confirmation letter from my insurance company that in the last 3 years I haven committed any damage?
The problem is that back home the car is on my spouse name and thus the insurance but I am driving the car, so I don;t know if canadian insurance companies will accept this?
Your thoughts?

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
actonis said:
Dear abouttoland

Maybe you are right, I will try to get driving licence and then photo id.
About the driving test, as I know you need to bring your own car. Can it be rental car?

About the insurance, is it ok if I bring confirmation letter from my insurance company that in the last 3 years I haven committed any damage?
The problem is that back home the car is on my spouse name and thus the insurance but I am driving the car, so I don;t know if canadian insurance companies will accept this?
Your thoughts?
hi actonis,

well, the Photo ID card is for people who dont have driving license or who dont plan to get one.
Getting this card is waste of $35 if you are planning to get license soon enough.

The best way is to give a G1 written test as soon as you come to Canada.
get your home country driving license and a authrntication letter from license issuing authority saying that you have exp of X years in your home country. With this letter you will be waived off the time limit for giving road test.

After you clear your G1 written test, you will get a license anyways. And that will have your home address etc. This can be used as a ID everwhere. So no need of geeting that Photo ID.

Am not sure about insurance as I have not yet purchased the car.
Hope it helped.

Regards,
Sharat Joshi

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
actonis said:
Dear forum members
I will enter Canada as temp worker.
After getting my SIN can I apply for ID?
Or, what document should I bring with me for identification?
Probably I won't need to keep my passport with me at work every day?
By the time you get your drivers license from canada, use your landing papers as ID.

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Can I use the domestic ID from my original country.
It looks like visa card, and every information in the Id card is in my native language and in english so a canadian piliceman will understand everyting?
Is there a prerequirement to bring your passport with you all the time?
In my home counry foreiner by law is obligated to carry his passport with him all the time:(

About the ID, well I want to hove Photo ID, event though I plan on getting driving licence too in the first couple of months?
Anyone know what kind of document I will need to obtain photo ID?
Where do I need to request the photo ID? Service Canada?

Thanks

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
Your ID from home country will not be valid in Canada.
You will need the Canadian ID if you want to show it in Canada to someone. You need not have the passport with you all the time in Canada. As long as you have some sort of ID, that should be good enough (PR Card, Lincense, Photo ID etc)

Reg your Photo ID, when you have the Photo ID (Am assuming you will be landing in Ontario) and you go for the Driving Licence, they will take that photo ID from you and cut in half and keep it. Because once you get the license, that ID has no meaning because your license will have all the value.

For this photo ID, all you need is the landing paper and an address.
You give these to Service Ontario officer and he will give you the receipt with your ID and the card will come to your address in 2-3 weeks time.

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Thanks sharat_joshi77

I will be landing in Alberta. But probably the procedure is the same.

Is there a chance I keep the photo ID and get drivers ID also?
As I understood you, even if I apply for photo ID the next day I will need to wait 2-3 week for it to arrive. In this period do I need to carry my passport with me, because I won't have PR and Canadian ID yet?
Another question, if I get new apartment for 2-3 months with new address do I need to change my photo ID?

Thanks

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
actonis said:
Thanks sharat_joshi77

I will be landing in Alberta. But probably the procedure is the same.

Is there a chance I keep the photo ID and get drivers ID also?
As I understood you, even if I apply for photo ID the next day I will need to wait 2-3 week for it to arrive. In this period do I need to carry my passport with me, because I won't have PR and Canadian ID yet?
Another question, if I get new apartment for 2-3 months with new address do I need to change my photo ID?

Thanks
well, am not sue about Alberta's rules. Some of the Albertans (not sure if this is a right word :p) should answer this.
As soon as you apply for any ID, they will give you a recipt with the ID number. That can be used till the time your actual ID comes to you.
Address should be changed within 6 days of moving to new place. That is the norm in Ontario. Again, not sure abt Alberta.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want and need a drivers license, you should bring your foreign license and IDP to a registry in AB and ask to exchange it. They will let you take the written test right away which will get your learners license which you can use as an ID card. When they approve you to take the road test and you pass it (you can rent a car to take the test if you don't have one), you will get either a GDL license or a full license and then you can use that as an ID.

If you are not interested in driving in Canada and do not want to get your license, you can get an ID card instead.

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Thanks for the replay Leon.

Is there any manual I need to read before I take the written test.
By taking the written exam right away you mean like instantly at that moment? Don't they need to process the application, check your documents etc?
How much does it cost to get the exam?
After I pass this exam I will get learners driving Id. I assume after that I can apply for Full Calss 5 driving licence, (I have more then 2 years international driving experience). They will take some time (10 business days?) to process my application, and if approved I will be able to take road test.

With this learners ID I won't be able to drive? I still need to have my international driving licence.

Thanks