+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Canadian friends

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I'm not looking in this site friendship because I know this site is not meant for that but there might come some exceptions. I'm sorry for my silly question. I would like to ask Canadian people here, why it is so difficult to friendship with Canadian person online? For example when I send to a Canadian person nice message they will never reply.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What kind of sites are you messaging people through? Are they dating sites? Or something else? What are you asking or saying in your messages? This might be part of the problem.

I'm Canadian and have a very large number of friends - but none of them are online. They are all people I have met and see in person (even if I only see them once every two years because they live far away). I like connecting with people in person and knowing them in person - and don't see the need for friends who are online only.

There are people I speak to through an online forum (not this one) about a shared interest who I have never met in person. I'm not sure I would call any of them friends - more people I discuss things with online - but I do feel I know some of them. If one of them ever sent me a "I want to be friends message" - I would think this was creepy and ignore them. Any messages I send or get are about our shared interest and ask specific questions about that.

If you're going through dating sites - then I would guess the fast majority of people are looking to date someone locally.

bubulici

Star Member
Mar 31, 2016
Unsure what sort of friendship you're talking about; but if you're after the kind of sites where expats talk about common interests, arrange meet-ups, events, sports activities etc. there are plenty out there, one of them being for example Internations.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
bubulici said:
Unsure what sort of friendship you're talking about; but if you're after the kind of sites where expats talk about common interests, arrange meet-ups, events, sports activities etc. there are plenty out there, one of them being for example Internations.
personally i'm not impressed with internations. i've found they charge a membership fee just to get the time/location of an event (at least the one in my area does). it's one thing to charge for an event if someone goes, it's another to charge someone before they know if they want to even attend the event. i've found meetup.com to be better at providing information for local events/groups to meet.

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
What kind of sites are you messaging people through? Are they dating sites? Or something else? What are you asking or saying in your messages? This might be part of the problem.

I'm Canadian and have a very large number of friends - but none of them are online. They are all people I have met and see in person (even if I only see them once every two years because they live far away). I like connecting with people in person and knowing them in person - and don't see the need for friends who are online only.

There are people I speak to through an online forum (not this one) about a shared interest who I have never met in person. I'm not sure I would call any of them friends - more people I discuss things with online - but I do feel I know some of them. If one of them ever sent me a "I want to be friends message" - I would think this was creepy and ignore them. Any messages I send or get are about our shared interest and ask specific questions about that.

If you're going through dating sites - then I would guess the fast majority of people are looking to date someone locally.
Hi Scylla,

Thank you for your answer. I appreciate it. What I mean with friendship is just normal friendship. Like talking about life and those kind of things and hopefully to see some day face to face. I know it sounds akward through internet but since I live in different country it is so hard to find any Canadians here. In fact in the company where I work there is one very nice Canadian man with whom I have friendship but he left to United States to work there for one year.

But I'm currently searching from dating sites. I know it is not the best place to search.

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bubulici said:
Hi Bubulici,

Thank you for your answer. Yes that kind of friendship. :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Softdev00 said:
Hi Scylla,

Thank you for your answer. I appreciate it. What I mean with friendship is just normal friendship. Like talking about life and those kind of things and hopefully to see some day face to face. I know it sounds akward through internet but since I live in different country it is so hard to find any Canadians here. In fact in the company where I work there is one very nice Canadian man with whom I have friendship but he left to United States to work there for one year.
Honest answer? I would personally never be interested in having this kind of conversation with someone I don't know on the internet. For me, friendship conversations are reserved for people I actually know / know in person. If someone I didn't know tried to have a friendship conversation with me online, then I would assume they have some sort of ulterior motive (scam, trying to get money out of me, etc.) and would ignore them.

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Honest answer? I would personally never be interested in having this kind of conversation with someone I don't know on the internet. For me, friendship conversations are reserved for people I actually know / know in person. If someone I didn't know tried to have a friendship conversation with me online, then I would assume they have some sort of ulterior motive (scam, trying to get money out of me, etc.) and would ignore them.
Seriously?

Yes that's my honest answer. I'm not here to lie. I hate lying so much.

If that's really the case then I would stop searching friendships online.