+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Biometrics as an overseas applicant from within Canada

julieneric

Mar 17, 2019
Hi,

I have a question regarding the biometrics. Apparently, overseas applicants have to give biometrics before they enter Canada and are not eligible to have their fingerprints and photograph taken at a Canadian port of entry. Unfortunately, this is only mentioned in the letter they sent when you get to that point of the process and my girlfriend (the applicant) is already in Canada.

I am wondering what our options are, she is Chinese, making it very difficult to go back home to do it. I also don't really understand what difference it makes whether or not she is doing it from Canada as a visitor...

Has anyone dealt successfully with this situation before?

Thank you in advance.

Julien

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Does she have a US visa? Has she already done biometrics? Did you change your application and not file for conjugal?

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
Theres no requirement that she had to do it before she came to Canada, it's just highly recommended because there's nowhere in Canada to give biometrics, and if you leave Canada there's never a guarantee that you'll be allowed to reenter when you're a visitor.
She can do it in any country that has a VAC, she doesnt have to return to her home country specifically to do it.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
No US Visa, never done biometrics and we're applying as conjugal partners
Hopefully you changed your application when someone gave you the information re conjugal , you do not qualify for conjugal if she is in Canada
There are no immigration barriers preventing you from being common law or getting married.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/can-a-permanent-residence-applicant-outside-canada-come-to-canada-in-the-meantime.622385/

Reactions: Jnicole45

mimilala

Jun 20, 2019
Hi,

I have a question regarding the biometrics. Apparently, overseas applicants have to give biometrics before they enter Canada and are not eligible to have their fingerprints and photograph taken at a Canadian port of entry. Unfortunately, this is only mentioned in the letter they sent when you get to that point of the process and my girlfriend (the applicant) is already in Canada.

I am wondering what our options are, she is Chinese, making it very difficult to go back home to do it. I also don't really understand what difference it makes whether or not she is doing it from Canada as a visitor...

Has anyone dealt successfully with this situation before?

Thank you in advance.

Julien

I received the same request today. I am from Hong Kong, currently a visitorin Canada. Applied for outland applicant. Any chance that I can do the biometrics in US instead of my home country?

Thank you in advance

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
I received the same request today. I am from Hong Kong, currently a visitorin Canada. Applied for outland applicant. Any chance that I can do the biometrics in US instead of my home country?

Thank you in advance
As long as you can legally enter the US, as in you have the proper visa if necessary, you can do biometrics there.