+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Gettin New SIN Number

Skp1310

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
This is the link that lists the required original documents for SIN application (it lists both the requirements for mail and in-person).
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/before-applying.html#primary

A quick Command-F (Ctrl-F) shows the word "address" is nowhere to be found on the site. When you download the application for mailing the form in, it lists the same information and includes a checklist. Again, nothing about an address.
Yes ur right for mail applicants they don’t require address proof. But for ppl who apply via online they need address proof. But ur case they mentioned SIN online request. Which makes confusion. Due to this pandemic situation we can’t do anything other than jus wait. !!

Dimzonchik

Apr 4, 2018
For the online application, yes, it requires it.
But for the mailed and in-person applications it does not say it requires a proof address. If you can find where it asks for proof of address I would appreciate it.

Mostly I am confused because I applied by mail, but the letter they sent me (to my correct address, btw) says they were unable to process my "online request."
I was writing about the online application. For mail it is different. I didn' see any address requirements.

omikey

Apr 20, 2020
Another bit of confusion is the website saying they are only attending to urgent requests.. What do they define by urgent requests? LOL

Reactions: Dimzonchik

winterisnotcoming

Star Member
Mar 30, 2019
For the online application, yes, it requires it.
But for the mailed and in-person applications it does not say it requires a proof address. If you can find where it asks for proof of address I would appreciate it.

Mostly I am confused because I applied by mail, but the letter they sent me (to my correct address, btw) says they were unable to process my "online request."
Did you include a cover letter of some sort explaining the urgency? I remember reading that you have to justify the urgency for mail application. Not sure if its still a requirement.

Reactions: Skp1310

winterisnotcoming

Star Member
Mar 30, 2019
I don't remember where, but it was clearly written that you have to give proof of address in Canada. I sent my rental agreement.
Thats awesome you are able to secure a housing without a SIN. Can you share the trick please? In Vancouver/Toronto, it hard to secure a housing without a job (and a job requires a SIN).

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Thats awesome you are able to secure a housing without a SIN. Can you share the trick please? In Vancouver/Toronto, it hard to secure a housing without a job (and a job requires a SIN).
Landlords cannot demand a SIN when renting . They can request it , but you are not obligated to give it . Just like when you apply for a credit card, it’s always optional
And FYI, you should never be giving it too anyone except the Federal Government & banks to administer tax slips

winterisnotcoming

Star Member
Mar 30, 2019
Landlords cannot demand a SIN when renting . They can request it , but you are not obligated to give it . Just like when you apply for a credit card, it’s always optional
And FYI, you should never be giving it too anyone except the Federal Government & banks to administer tax slips
I understand I am not obligated to provide SIN to landlord, how likely do you think one is to be able to find a housing in Van/TTO without SIN?
Also, you are missing employers.

According to the Employment Insurance Regulations, which came into force on April 30, 2013, employees are required to provide their SIN to their employer. They may do so by presenting their confirmation of SIN letter, their SIN card or other documentation showing their SIN.
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/ei/ei-list/ei-employers-sin.html

winterisnotcoming

Star Member
Mar 30, 2019
Just got a call back from SC after submitting the form 24 hours ago, they said they cant provide any info as all the SIN requests are being processed by one office in NB and we have to contact them at 18662746627. I tried calling and no luck talking to someone. Let me know if someone is able to.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I understand I am not obligated to provide SIN to landlord, how likely do you think one is to be able to find a housing in Van/TTO without SIN?
Also, you are missing employers.

According to the Employment Insurance Regulations, which came into force on April 30, 2013, employees are required to provide their SIN to their employer. They may do so by presenting their confirmation of SIN letter, their SIN card or other documentation showing their SIN.
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/ei/ei-list/ei-employers-sin.html
i sold my place & rented . They asked for my SIN, I refused , that’s how. They asked for a copy of my credit report , that’s ok
I just take out MY personal information
DOB etc
When I fill in a application for a credit card I just ignore the SIN request
And that’s in Toronto.
Employers is a given. Maybe if they think you’re new to Canada , you’ll just give it.

Last edited:

phl2019

Feb 24, 2019
Any updates , does any one got SIN in mail ??
Hi

We have sent our application for SIN by mail last Friday and got Canada Post confirmation that our documents were delivered last Monday.

We called them on Monday to request that a note of urgency be appended on our application but were informed that our files have yet to be uploaded into their system.

I’m just calling them now to make the request again. The last time I called (3pm in the afternoon) wait time was 20-30mins. Hoping the same today.

winterisnotcoming

Star Member
Mar 30, 2019
Hi

We have sent our application for SIN by mail last Friday and got Canada Post confirmation that our documents were delivered last Monday.

We called them on Monday to request that a note of urgency be appended on our application but were informed that our files have yet to be uploaded into their system.

I’m just calling them now to make the request again. The last time I called (3pm in the afternoon) wait time was 20-30mins. Hoping the same today.
Which number do you use to call them? How would you send a new document for them to append? Email? I am thinking of proving a better proof of address.

phl2019

Feb 24, 2019
Which number do you use to call them? How would you send a new document for them to append? Email? I am thinking of proving a better proof of address.
Hi,
This is the SIN Registration Hotline Number: +1 (866) 274-6627

Just got off the phone with an agent.

Was informed that
• they are still on the March files as since Service Canada offices have closed, thousands of applications have hence been filed through mail and there are security measures in place to lessen mishandling and losing our important documents

• as it is a pandemic, applications are treated as urgent and no need to append a note that an individual application is urgent

• processing is First Come, First Served

• upon scanning of documents (takes the most time due to the loads of papers to be scanned) and creation of system on file it should take 3 days to get a SIN and the docs back to you

Our case:
Given that our documents were mailed mid-April, I’m hoping to get our SIN by end of May

The challenge now is find an employer willing to hire without a SIN

omikey

Apr 20, 2020
Hi,
This is the SIN Registration Hotline Number: +1 (866) 274-6627

Just got off the phone with an agent.

Was informed that
• they are still on the March files as since Service Canada offices have closed, thousands of applications have hence been filed through mail and there are security measures in place to lessen mishandling and losing our important documents

• as it is a pandemic, applications are treated as urgent and no need to append a note that an individual application is urgent

• processing is First Come, First Served

• upon scanning of documents (takes the most time due to the loads of papers to be scanned) and creation of system on file it should take 3 days to get a SIN and the docs back to you

Our case:
Given that our documents were mailed mid-April, I’m hoping to get our SIN by end of May

The challenge now is find an employer willing to hire without a SIN
This is not in the least bit reassuring. Are they going to keep your passport and other documents till then? Also does this timeline aply for online applications as well because the documents are already scanned? So many questions and so few answers. Thanks for the feedback and hopefully they find a way to get more info across to everyone affected by this