+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Gettin New SIN Number

jokepoke

Feb 27, 2020
Employers can't tell if a SIN is expired. They are required to verify that a person has a permit authorizing them to work. As long as a person has the right to work, the employer will accept the SIN. The issue you will face is that some employers don't understand Implied Status and may not hire you because of that.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/ei/ei-list/ei-employers-sin.html
I just got hired for a job, but the only document I have with my expired SIN number is one in which it says the expiration date right next to the SIN number. Going to try to just show them a picture of the SIN number on the form (without the expiration date) and not bring in the form itself, but I'm not really sure how to handle this at all. Not even sure if I'll be able to be paid if I only give them the number.

I applied online for the renewal a few weeks ago but I have no idea if it even processed now. This is what it says on the online application now and all of the phone servers are backed up, so I have no idea if my application is still valid (I applied a few weeks ago) or if I need to re-apply by mail:

> Please be advised that this service is currently unavailable and we are working on resolving this issue. However, we are still accepting applications by mail. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Wow, this is so damn disorienting.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I just got hired for a job, but the only document I have with my expired SIN number is one in which it says the expiration date right next to the SIN number. Going to try to just show them a picture of the SIN number on the form (without the expiration date) and not bring in the form itself, but I'm not really sure how to handle this at all. Not even sure if I'll be able to be paid if I only give them the number.

I applied online for the renewal a few weeks ago but I have no idea if it even processed now. This is what it says on the online application now and all of the phone servers are backed up, so I have no idea if my application is still valid (I applied a few weeks ago) or if I need to re-apply by mail:

> Please be advised that this service is currently unavailable and we are working on resolving this issue. However, we are still accepting applications by mail. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Wow, this is so damn disorienting.
You don't need to show them anything from the form. Just tell them the SIN or write it down on a piece of paper. A lot of people, especially those of us who got SINs a long time ago, don't actually have any documentation for it anymore. I lost my card MANY years ago. All an employer needs is the number.

If they see a SIN starting with 9, they are supposed to verify you have the legal right to work. That means looking at your immigration status, not the SIN validity.

jokepoke

Feb 27, 2020
You don't need to show them anything from the form. Just tell them the SIN or write it down on a piece of paper. A lot of people, especially those of us who got SINs a long time ago, don't actually have any documentation for it anymore. I lost my card MANY years ago. All an employer needs is the number.

If they see a SIN starting with 9, they are supposed to verify you have the legal right to work. That means looking at your immigration status, not the SIN validity.
Good to hear, thank you.

omikey

Apr 20, 2020
Hi everyone, I landed 3 weeks ago as a new PR. Service Canada was closed and i have been struggling to reach them. The website is a bit vague as well about applications as it says they will only attend to Urgent Applications. Can anyone please help? I did the online application and got a reference ID but there is no way to track that application or be certain they received it.

If i do decide to mail my documents in, will my passport and COPR be sufficient?

prapplicant1

Star Member
Aug 18, 2019
Hi everyone, I landed 3 weeks ago as a new PR. Service Canada was closed and i have been struggling to reach them. The website is a bit vague as well about applications as it says they will only attend to Urgent Applications. Can anyone please help? I did the online application and got a reference ID but there is no way to track that application or be certain they received it.

If i do decide to mail my documents in, will my passport and COPR be sufficient?
They only acceptin by mail now.
Online application was available but right now it is not working. To work you need the sin numbe
How did you apply to them and when?
Online. April 6. Check previous messages.

prapplicant1

Star Member
Aug 18, 2019

Yeah, just wait, they sent mine today. Also applied online on April 6