SubAlba

Dec 20, 2019
RE: PROOF OF ADDRESS DOCUMENT
Unable to process

Applied: May 14, 2020
Date in the letter: May 15, 2020
Date received in the mail: May 28, 2020
Province: Alberta

My husband's SIN application got rejected and received his letter in the mail today.
When he applied, he used my credit card statement as an alternative for his proof of address.

*For everyone who got rejected as well, please enlighten me
Now that he got a letter from Service Canada, can he actually use this as a proof of address since it has his name and address written?

-----

Excerpt from Applicants guide – Online application for Social Insurance Number
(https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/applicants-guide.html#address)

Examples of acceptable proof of address:
  • a letter or document from a government (federal, provincial, territorial or foreign)
  • a letter or document from a financial institution (bank statement, credit card statement, mortgage contract or statement, etc.)
  • a residential tenancy agreement/ lease
  • a bill (from among others a telecom provider, a cable provider, a utility provider, etc.)
  • any document issued by a school, college or university that shows your address
  • employment contract that shows your address

Last edited:

foxstiger

Sep 10, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have landed in Canada and was able to validate a few things online which I missed earlier:

1. The SIN cannot be applied at open serviceontario outlets.

2. The proof of address should have the applicant's name on it.

Both the things are explicitly mentioned on the website: proof of address section & how to apply header on the website

So ,I guess the only option left is to open a bank account once the self.isolation period ends.
Is it sufficient to open a bank account with my passport and COPR client copy? And when opening the bank account, can I give my friend's address, or do I have to give an address that's actually mine? Thanks.

inlandapplicant

Star Member
Mar 24, 2020
My SIN was rejected saying there’s a document that was missing. For proof of status in canada, I have submitted the PR letter from ircc and copr client copy, then phone bill for proof of address and passport for secondary document. For my passport I only scanned the 1st or front page, do I have to scan the last page as well? Maybe that’s why my application was rejected?

Applied online on May 8,
Received letter today May 29

d.c.sharma

Star Member
Aug 3, 2017
My SIN was rejected saying there’s a document that was missing. For proof of status in canada, I have submitted the PR letter from ircc and copr client copy, then phone bill for proof of address and passport for secondary document. For my passport I only scanned the 1st or front page, do I have to scan the last page as well? Maybe that’s why my application was rejected?

Applied online on May 8,
Received letter today May 29
Yes as per my knowledge, the last page is also required. Maybe that's the reason for rejection because everything else looks fine.

inlandapplicant

Star Member
Mar 24, 2020
Yes as per my knowledge, the last page is also required. Maybe that's the reason for rejection because everything else looks fine.
Took 3 weeks for them to send a rejection letter and then keep you guessing which is wrong or missing. I think I’ll just wait for Service CAnada to open, should be sooner. It will be hard to wait for another 3weeks

srujju

Jan 4, 2012
When we apply for a SIN number, what is the application type to select when applying online ? I living here since 2012, I have a 9 Series SIN. now, I'm a PR.. so which options to select ?? Can someone who is aware of this please advise..
I see First SIN, Update or correction to SIN record, Confirmation of SIN, legal change of name, change of status, change of the expiry date(900 series SIN), others in the dropdown

d.c.sharma

Star Member
Aug 3, 2017
Took 3 weeks for them to send a rejection letter and then keep you guessing which is wrong or missing. I think I’ll just wait for Service CAnada to open, should be sooner. It will be hard to wait for another 3weeks
Yes I agree with you. This is insane. If the process is online, they should email the person if there are any missing docs so that he/she can upload again online instead of sending a mail which kills the essence of an online application.

Reactions: inlandapplicant

Icke

Jan 29, 2019
Germany
Serious question, what’s up with the last page of the passport ?
During the process it doesn‘t say that it needs front & last page ,only requests the page with legal name and date of birth.
My last page doesn’t contain any information.

d.c.sharma

Star Member
Aug 3, 2017
During the process it doesn‘t say that it needs front & last page ,only requests the page with legal name and date of birth.
Did your application got rejected? For some passports, last page contains imp information. I'm not sure if you and @inlandapplicant are from the same country.
If your passport doesn't have any important information on the last page, I think you should be fine.

Reactions: Icke

vermas

Champion Member
Jan 12, 2010
NOC Code......
NA
App. Filed.......
eAPR/AOR 13-08-2018
Indian Passports have important personal details on the last pages. Perhaps your passport doesn't have that kind of info. Passports vary from country to country.

Reactions: Icke