+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Get Passport back

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
On the flip side what doesn’t make sense are people who fled their country , presumably going to Canada for protection, now wanting back a passport that represents the same country they are fleeing from.
that is true but some get married and no longer continue the refugee process, or they are not the main applicant in a claim just apart of it as the spouse or dependant of the protected person, not a protected person themselves. so they can use their passports, etc i believe.

Reactions: Akhenatonbta

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
So I contacted IRCC to follow up on my PR card application and they replied that while waiting for the card, I could request getting my passport back from the office that seized it. So I guess it is acceptable to ask to get your passport back since they are... well, IRCC.

Here is their email:

Return of identity documents

If your identity documents were not returned to you when you became a permanent resident and you wish to have them back, please send a written request to the office and include:

A list of the requested original identity documents, and
The reason for your request, including an explanation that you became a permanent resident without your documents.
You can send your request either:

By mail to the following address: ***
*** choose your office from IRCC website.

Akhenatonbta

Star Member
Jan 29, 2020
On the flip side what doesn’t make sense are people who fled their country , presumably going to Canada for protection, now wanting back a passport that represents the same country they are fleeing from.
LOL, that have nothing to do. I need my passport to travel abroad. Do you think you can go to any airport with a PR card only? Besides, I do not have a Canadian passport. Don't you know the difference between resident and citizen? If I want to go to Europe or USA( my visa is in my passport) I need my passport. SImple!!!

P.D. I already have my passport.

Reactions: ozalp and Andftoe

Zainab umer

Star Member
Feb 14, 2020
LOL, that have nothing to do. I need my passport to travel abroad. Do you think you can go to any airport with a PR card only? Besides, I do not have a Canadian passport. Don't you know the difference between resident and citizen? If I want to go to Europe or USA( my visa is in my passport) I need my passport. SImple!!!

P.D. I already have my passport.
How did u get ur passport back. Can u plz share?

Reactions: Qasim Zaib

Akhenatonbta

Star Member
Jan 29, 2020
How did u get ur passport back. Can u plz share?
I wrote a mail through web form on IRCC asking where was my passport. After two weeks, they responded to me. They told me it was supposed to get it when I receive my PR card, but if I wanted it before, I will have to contact the office that had my passport. In my case, they told me that my passport was on 6900 Airport road. I went directly to that office and brought the CopR document, driver's license and a formal letter that said: I would like to get my passport back because I already got a permanent residence. I did not give any explanation, but it is up to you to write the reason you want it back.

They accepted my letter without a problem. Two days after they called me to pick up my passport. I went there, waited for a while, signed a form they gave me and that is all. I got my passport back. There were no questions nor issues with that requeriment.

Zainab umer

Star Member
Feb 14, 2020
I wrote a mail through web form on IRCC asking where was my passport. After two weeks, they responded to me. They told me it was supposed to get it when I receive my PR card, but if I wanted it before, I will have to contact the office that had my passport. In my case, they told me that my passport was on 6900 Airport road. I went directly to that office and brought the CopR document, driver's license and a formal letter that said: I would like to get my passport back because I already got a permanent residence. I did not give any explanation, but it is up to you to write the reason you want it back.

They accepted my letter without a problem. Two days after they called me to pick up my passport. I went there, waited for a while, signed a form they gave me and that is all. I got my passport back. There were no questions nor issues with that requeriment.
U r the first person who responded to my question in this regard. Appreciation..... thank you so much

Andftoe

Star Member
Jul 23, 2020

If youl don't mine, could you share with us the whole template of your letter. Because I have to do this as well. I'm just waiting for COPR and I want to be ready.

mehranjadoon

Sep 5, 2019

Thanks for your explanation...first practical experience lolz

I entered Canada at Montreal and claimed asylum, where they seized my passports. I applied for PR to CPC Mississauga. My PR application is going to be finalized by Etobicoke IRCC.

Where are my passports suppose to be? Which office should I contact in order to get it back?

Akhenatonbta

Star Member
Jan 29, 2020
If youl don't mine, could you share with us the whole template of your letter. Because I have to do this as well. I'm just waiting for COPR and I want to be ready.
Hi, Yes for sure.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Your name
UCI number:XXXXXXXX

Home address

Toronto, ON,ZIp

March 5, 2021​

Sir or Madam
Greater Toronto Enforcement Centre

6900 Airport Road, Entrance 2B

Mississauga, On, L4V1E8

RE: REQUEST FOR RETURNING OF SEIZED PASSPORT.

Dear Sir or Madam
Greater Toronto Enforcement Centre:

I am writing this letter to request the return of my passport as it was seized by migration office when I claimed refugee in Canada.

As you will see in the attached documents, I already withdrew my refugee claim, and I was also accepted as a permanent resident. My application was accepted as a family member of a protected person. I need my passport, as this document is the only one that I can use to travel abroad. Under the law I do not have any pending requesting, hearing or appointment; therefore, my passport should be returned.

I hope this document may be returned to my home address, or otherwise I could pick it up anywhere. You could contact me via e-mail, phone or mail. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks a lot.

Sincerely,

My name and signature

;//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Sorry if there is a grammar or spelling mistake. My English is not perfect. LOL

Let me know if you have any other question.

Reagrds,

Akhenatonbta

Star Member
Jan 29, 2020
Thanks for your explanation...first practical experience lolz

I entered Canada at Montreal and claimed asylum, where they seized my passports. I applied for PR to CPC Mississauga. My PR application is going to be finalized by Etobicoke IRCC.

Where are my passports suppose to be? Which office should I contact in order to get it back?
Hi,

I suppose your passport is seized by IRCC office in Montreal. Anyway, the first step is writing an email to:

https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

You have to asking to them where is your passport. They will check on the system and after 2 weeks aprox they will send you a response with that information. If you did not get a departure or deportation order, the most feasible option is that your passport is in an IRCC office in Montreal.

When you get the response from them. You will know where your passport is, so you will have to contact that office by mail, fax and send a letter requesting your passport. In my case I went directly just the next day I got a response from IRCC mail and brought the letter. It was fast and easy.

atifmdbaseer

Mar 6, 2021
Hi everyone, hope everyone is doing great..
Can anyone help me out with withdrawal process, how i need to start, request to receive passport back to travel back home... really need suggestions and advice on this

Reactions: Qasim Zaib

mehranjadoon

Sep 5, 2019
Hi,

I suppose your passport is seized by IRCC office in Montreal. Anyway, the first step is writing an email to:

https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

You have to asking to them where is your passport. They will check on the system and after 2 weeks aprox they will send you a response with that information. If you did not get a departure or deportation order, the most feasible option is that your passport is in an IRCC office in Montreal.

When you get the response from them. You will know where your passport is, so you will have to contact that office by mail, fax and send a letter requesting your passport. In my case I went directly just the next day I got a response from IRCC mail and brought the letter. It was fast and easy.
Thanks for your message. I will get in touch with them, lets see what they say

hamasi

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
Hi, Yes for sure.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Your name
UCI number:XXXXXXXX

Home address

Toronto, ON,ZIp

March 5, 2021​

Sir or Madam
Greater Toronto Enforcement Centre

6900 Airport Road, Entrance 2B

Mississauga, On, L4V1E8

RE: REQUEST FOR RETURNING OF SEIZED PASSPORT.

Dear Sir or Madam
Greater Toronto Enforcement Centre:

I am writing this letter to request the return of my passport as it was seized by migration office when I claimed refugee in Canada.

As you will see in the attached documents, I already withdrew my refugee claim, and I was also accepted as a permanent resident. My application was accepted as a family member of a protected person. I need my passport, as this document is the only one that I can use to travel abroad. Under the law I do not have any pending requesting, hearing or appointment; therefore, my passport should be returned.

I hope this document may be returned to my home address, or otherwise I could pick it up anywhere. You could contact me via e-mail, phone or mail. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks a lot.

Sincerely,

My name and signature

;//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Sorry if there is a grammar or spelling mistake. My English is not perfect. LOL

Let me know if you have any other question.

Reagrds,
this post was very practical to many of us, i assume so i really appreciate.just a few question: i just got my COPR today. i was wondering when can i request my passport?did you request before receiving your actual PR?
and i think you mentioned you withdrew your refugee claim, if so it means you are not protected person anymore?
i just want to get my passport back and IRCC, or whatever it is , they seized my passports.
and can you please tell me where did you send the letter?im also in toronto so i think i need to send the request to the same address.