+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GCMS Notes and the Curious Case of Section(s) 16(1)(c)

cali2bc

Star Member
Feb 6, 2015
California, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2015
Doc's Request.
23-10-2015
AOR Received.
11-06-2015
File Transfer...
14-07-2015
Med's Done....
09-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-12-2015 (Decision Made 25-11-2015)
LANDED..........
08-02-2016
I received my notes this morning and the email contained the following language:

"The processing of your request is now complete and I am pleased to enclose the documents requested. Certain information qualifies for exemption pursuant to section(s) 16(1)(c) injurious to the enforcement of any law of Canada or a province or the conduct of lawful investigations of the Access to Information Act."

Hmm! So naturally after reading that, I looked up section(s) 16(1)(c) of the Access to Immigration Act. Section 16(1)(c) is as follows:

"16. (1) The head of a government institution may refuse to disclose any record requested under this Act that contains
(a) information obtained or prepared by any government institution, or part of any government institution, that is an investigative body specified in the regulations in the course of lawful investigations pertaining to
(i) the detection, prevention or suppression of crime,
(ii) the enforcement of any law of Canada or a province, or
(iii) activities suspected of constituting threats to the security of Canada within the meaning of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service Act,
if the record came into existence less than twenty years prior to the request;

(b) information relating to investigative techniques or plans for specific lawful investigations;
(c) information the disclosure of which could reasonably be expected to be injurious to the enforcement of any law of Canada or a province or the conduct of lawful investigations, including, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, any such information
(i) relating to the existence or nature of a particular investigation,
(ii) that would reveal the identity of a confidential source of information, or
(iii) that was obtained or prepared in the course of an investigation; or
"

But what could that mean? My eligibility, security and criminality assessments all say "Not started." There is, however, an entry on my notes that is now redacted, but it used to be on my first set of notes. It was under ASSOCIATIONS ---> ORGANIZATIONS AND ENTITIES, and it was named, "No Partner Checks Complete Application" from 4/13/15, which was an entire month before I even applied. Strange.

Does anyone have suspicions as to why this entry was redacted on my second set of notes? Is this a common thing for applicants to receive redacted notes? Should I be concerned, since it doesn't seem to hint that this redaction had to do with eligibility, security and criminality assessments.

I appreciate any feedback that you can provide! :)

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
The first part sounds like they are covering their rears so they don't let out information that could impact any criminal investigations.

The redacted must be a mistake that was on your original notes, how could they note something before you even sent in your application? If you aren't a criminal I think you have nothing to worry about!

The only thing I see on the GCMS notes codes that says "partner" is common-law or conjugal partner. Are you married or common-law?

cali2bc

Star Member
Feb 6, 2015
California, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2015
Doc's Request.
23-10-2015
AOR Received.
11-06-2015
File Transfer...
14-07-2015
Med's Done....
09-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-12-2015 (Decision Made 25-11-2015)
LANDED..........
08-02-2016
Aquakitty said:
The first part sounds like they are covering their rears so they don't let out information that could impact any criminal investigations.

The redacted must be a mistake that was on your original notes, how could they note something before you even sent in your application? If you aren't a criminal I think you have nothing to worry about!

The only thing I see on the GCMS notes codes that says "partner" is common-law or conjugal partner. Are you married or common-law?
Thanks for the feedback, Aquakitty! I'm married (and not a criminal ;) ) , so that redacted section makes zero sense to me. My first set of notes were released in their entirety and contained no disclaimer regarding Section 16, so that's why I was curious.

Cansk

Star Member
Sep 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-07-2015
AOR Received.
AOR1 11-08-2015 / AOR2 17-09-2015
File Transfer...
SA approval/transfer 9-09-2015 processing 17-09-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront-MR recieved Oct 14,2015
Interview........
Feb 23 2016
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
DECISION MADE March 18 2016
LANDED..........
March 29 2016
cali2bc said:
I received my notes this morning and the email contained the following language:

"The processing of your request is now complete and I am pleased to enclose the documents requested. Certain information qualifies for exemption pursuant to section(s) 16(1)(c) injurious to the enforcement of any law of Canada or a province or the conduct of lawful investigations of the Access to Information Act."

Hmm! So naturally after reading that, I looked up section(s) 16(1)(c) of the Access to Immigration Act. Section 16(1)(c) is as follows:

"16. (1) The head of a government institution may refuse to disclose any record requested under this Act that contains
(a) information obtained or prepared by any government institution, or part of any government institution, that is an investigative body specified in the regulations in the course of lawful investigations pertaining to
(iii) activities suspected of constituting threats to the security of Canada within the meaning of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service Act,

(b) information relating to investigative techniques or plans for specific lawful investigations;
(c) information the disclosure of which could reasonably be expected to be injurious to the enforcement of any law of Canada or a province or the conduct of lawful investigations, including, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, any such information
"

But what could that mean? My eligibility, security and criminality assessments all say "Not started." There is, however, an entry on my notes that is now redacted, but it used to be on my first set of notes. It was under ASSOCIATIONS ---> ORGANIZATIONS AND ENTITIES, and it was named, "No Partner Checks Complete Application" from 4/13/15, which was an entire month before I even applied. Strange.

Does anyone have suspicions as to why this entry was redacted on my second set of notes? Is this a common thing for applicants to receive redacted notes? Should I be concerned, since it doesn't seem to hint that this redaction had to do with eligibility, security and criminality assessments.

Our notes had same s.16(1)c in similar area. I'm puzzled by this. I've ordered a new set of notes scheduled to arrive in a couple of weeks. Will check in with you if I see any change. Let's stay connected on this one.

humblee

Star Member
Apr 14, 2016
bogota
Category........
Visa Office......
bogota colombia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-02-2016
AOR Received.
08-03-2016
File Transfer...
17-03-2016
Cansk said:
Our notes had same s.16(1)c in similar area. I'm puzzled by this. I've ordered a new set of notes scheduled to arrive in a couple of weeks. Will check in with you if I see any change. Let's stay connected on this one.
How can I order my notes from my spouse sponsorship app

dungle87

Star Member
Jun 1, 2016
Saskatchewan
humblee said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/requests-atip.asp

To send a request you must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or an individual or corporation currently in Canada.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
humblee said:
Assuming you are the sponsored person, if your spouse is in Canada, he/she can do it at the above link.

Shineon39

Dec 3, 2015
Yellowknife, Northwest territories
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
22-10-2015
Nomination.....
Csq received 26-01-2016
AOR Received.
11-12-2015 AOR2: 07-01-2016
File Transfer...
17-12-2015
Med's Done....
10-09-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2016
LANDED..........
02-09-2016
cali2bc said:

"

Dont worry about that, i had exactly the same under association, organization and entities. I ordered 3 set of note and all had s16 1c. Cic does some check on us, if no criminal record there is no problem :)
I've been approuve even with s16 1c in my note ;)

edilsonjr

Dec 29, 2015
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-mar-2016
Doc's Request.
30-mar-2016 (Schedule 4A)
Nomination.....
07-dec-2015
AOR Received.
29-mar-2016
Passport Req..
29-nov-2016
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Hi guys.

Good thing I found this topic...

I have the same S.16(c) under Organisation and Entities.

I hope this is nothing, just like with you guys.

Got my first set of GCMS notes on the 18th of August, in the middle of my 4th month of processing, and could note a blank page with the S.16(c) on the top right corner.

Just requested a second set of notes, to see if anything else was added.

chhapa

Oct 4, 2015
Visa Office......
NDVO
App. Filed.......
27-08-2015
AOR Received.
15-10-2015
File Transfer...
06-11-2015
Interview........
November
LANDED..........
02-05-2017
cali2bc said:
Thanks for the feedback, Aquakitty! I'm married (and not a criminal ;) ) , so that redacted section makes zero sense to me. My first set of notes were released in their entirety and contained no disclaimer regarding Section 16, so that's why I was curious.
In my Note1 (eligibility), on right corner is s16(1) (c)
They hide 8-9 rows of statements of the Note1 page

Tun701

Star Member
Feb 12, 2015
I wouldn't worry to much about it. We had it on our first set of notes, nothing on the second set of notes and then it appeared again on the third set of notes?! Who knows why! My husband landed a few months ago with no problems!