+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Gap year? // Change in major/course?

tedikora

Dec 10, 2018
I am currently in first year BMM (Bachelor of Mass Media) in an Indian college. I completed my 12th (science) with a 90% in 2018. I want to apply to the Computer Science program (Bsc in CompSci) in Canadian universities.

Has anybody had a similar experience of changing courses? How does it affect the application?
Because I have a great overall academic record except this recent one year and I'm not quite sure whether I should call it a gap year or call it a changing of majors since none of what I did in FYBMM would be counted while applying for CompSci.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I am currently in first year BMM (Bachelor of Mass Media) in an Indian college. I completed my 12th (science) with a 90% in 2018. I want to apply to the Computer Science program (Bsc in CompSci) in Canadian universities.

Has anybody had a similar experience of changing courses? How does it affect the application?
Because I have a great overall academic record except this recent one year and I'm not quite sure whether I should call it a gap year or call it a changing of majors since none of what I did in FYBMM would be counted while applying for CompSci.
This is not a gap you are just changing your major. You will have to justify the visa officer in your SOP/ Letter of explanation as to why you want to change your major and what has made you interested in CompSci rather than Media. Gap is when you do not have an explanation as to what you have done for a given period of time.​

tedikora

Dec 10, 2018
This is not a gap you are just changing your major. You will have to justify the visa officer in your SOP/ Letter of explanation as to why you want to change your major and what has made you interested in CompSci rather than Media. Gap is when you do not have an explanation as to what you have done for a given period of time.​
Thank you for your reply!

But would mentioning Media decrease my chances of getting admission into CompSci or would it be more favourable if I just show it as a gap year? Since it might display a conflict of interest if I show Media. Also, if I do show it, would they ask for my transcripts at the end of the year, or would they just ask for some proof which shows that I was studying BMM at so-and-so college before the end of the year?
Is my performance in this year going to affect my chances of getting in, even if the major I'll be applying for has none of the subjects that I am studying currently?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Thank you for your reply!

But would mentioning Media decrease my chances of getting admission into CompSci or would it be more favourable if I just show it as a gap year? Since it might display a conflict of interest if I show Media. Also, if I do show it, would they ask for my transcripts at the end of the year, or would they just ask for some proof which shows that I was studying BMM at so-and-so college before the end of the year?
Is my performance in this year going to affect my chances of getting in, even if the major I'll be applying for has none of the subjects that I am studying currently?
You will at the least have to show your most recent transcripts to the visa officer. He is going to see your academic performance and your IELTS and the other parts of your profile. You are asking me if you should lie to the visa officer and I would say that is a very stupid decision. It could bite you in the ass now or even later. Be honest, give your reasons why you are changing and hope for the best.