+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

G5 Sponsorship question

splendid2019

Jul 2, 2019
Hi-Do all the 5 sponsors have to live in the same province as the refugee family. We have the assigned representatives for a sponsor who resides in a different province. My understanding is as long as the out-of-province sponsor fulfills their financial obligation, it would not be an issue provided the assigned representative resides in the same community of the future refugee family. The gov immigration website does not state anything about distance. Thanks for answering my question.

J

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
They all must live in the same province as per eligibility requirements. It is right on the site site under “Who can apply.”

To be eligible, each member of the group must:

• be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident,
  • be at least 18 years old,
  • live in the same community where the refugee is expected to settle, and
  • agree to give settlement support for the length of the sponsorship (usually one year).

Reactions: YVR123

splendid2019

Jul 2, 2019
I understand that, but then step 2, reads as below, particularly the last line suggests the sponsor does not have to reside in the same community so long as the representative does. Please correct me if I misunderstood. thanks

Step 2: Make sure you are eligible to sponsor

Each sponsor must:
  • Be 18 years old or older
  • Be a Canadian citizen, Registered Indian or a Permanent Resident of Canada
  • Reside in the expected community of settlement (or appoint a representative who does)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I understand that, but then step 2, reads as below, particularly the last line suggests the sponsor does not have to reside in the same community so long as the representative does. Please correct me if I misunderstood. thanks

Step 2: Make sure you are eligible to sponsor

Each sponsor must:
  • Be 18 years old or older
  • Be a Canadian citizen, Registered Indian or a Permanent Resident of Canada
  • Reside in the expected community of settlement (or appoint a representative who does)
It will likely come down to how many sponsors are in the community. Private sponsorship is a large commitment so the government doesn’t want the responsibility to provide support to a small number of people in the community and financial sponsors across the country.