Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
Hi everyone,

I wanted to start this thread for existing Group of Five (G5) sponsors or those wishing to form / be part of a G5 in Calgary. I'm a Canadian citizen who is sponsoring my Syrian husband (Family Class) and so I am somewhat familiar with the immigration processes (having filed our application without a representative). The Family Class page of this forum was incredibly helpful in sharing experiences, answering questions and providing support to each other and so I am hoping this thread will be equally as helpful.

At the moment, I am outside Canada while we wait for my husband's PR application processing to finish ...but our plans are to return to Canada (hopefully by the end of the year / early next year) to live permanently.

I have created a timeline https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JcjnmkGJUu1DyuFZ4Yer6wxUjmJ5yNoKg47u8rNMYfQ/edit#gid=0 where G5 groups can track the progress of their application. If you want to see a sample of this in action, check out the 2015 Outland Family Class spreadsheet (see my signature)

Please add your information and resources for sponsoring a refugee and resources for refugees in Calgary by replying to this thread. Examples include:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/ref-sponsor/index.asp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/YYCSYR/

I look forward to us supporting each other.

C.

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
I'm bumping this up...I can't believe I haven't found anyone involved in a G5 group in Calgary yet to connect with. I want to form my own group to sponsor a refugee...not looking to bombard anyone with questions as I'm pretty familiar with CIC immigration processes. Just wanted to find others to connect with who are going through the same thing :)

Take care,

C.

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chilkootcee said:
I'm bumping this up...I can't believe I haven't found anyone involved in a G5 group in Calgary yet to connect with. I want to form my own group to sponsor a refugee...not looking to bombard anyone with questions as I'm pretty familiar with CIC immigration processes. Just wanted to find others to connect with who are going through the same thing :)

Take care,

C.
I'm looking to start the same in Ottawa, so far haven't come across anything similar,
I have few Friends in Calgary I will p[ass on your message and advice them to check it out.

Good luck

teleute

Aug 4, 2016
Did you ever end up connecting with anyone on this? I'm part of a group that's just starting this process as well. What's the status on your group's application?

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
teleute said:
Did you ever end up connecting with anyone on this? I'm part of a group that's just starting this process as well. What's the status on your group's application?
Hey thanks for responding....my friend in Calgary and her neighbours ended up forming a group to help people and so those of my friends who were interested in helping out this refugee that I know joined that group...so then they looked into finding SAH and found one. The application was submitted and essentially approved after an interview in Turkey but had to wait on the medical as his wife was pregnant at the time. Now that the baby was just born, I imagine the process will continue.

In the meantime, the group wanted to be able to help others and so I think they have partnered with a family in Ft. MacMurray who lost their home...they are also looking at helping other refugees who are already in Calgary but I don't know the details.

I hope it goes well with your group.

C.

SKguy

Feb 10, 2015
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey great thread!

I live in Calgary and I'm looking for people to join me in sponsoring a friend of mine and his wife, me and my gf have the eligible income and status to do so but we need more people. I might also need help completing the form and all, but that's early to talk about... just wanted to get the discussion going

thanks!

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
SKguy said:
Hey great thread!

I live in Calgary and I'm looking for people to join me in sponsoring a friend of mine and his wife, me and my gf have the eligible income and status to do so but we need more people. I might also need help completing the form and all, but that's early to talk about... just wanted to get the discussion going

thanks!
For some reason I had many challenges trying to find a G5 to help with the refugee family we wanted to sponsor....so we ended up finding an SAH....although in the final end, there are so many people in the group they ended up forming, I think it would have been just a matter of time.

The forms are straightforward enough but I'm sure there will be lots of help on these forums if you need it. Because we went with a SAH, they had someone who reviewed and helped with the forms. I'm familiar with the forms to sponsor a spouse (as we just did that this last year).

C.

SKguy

Feb 10, 2015
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good to know!

What is SAH exactly? and would you be able to give me some contact information for people to get me started? if you can PM any info to me it would be much appreciated

Thanks!

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
SKguy said:
Good to know!

What is SAH exactly? and would you be able to give me some contact information for people to get me started? if you can PM any info to me it would be much appreciated

Thanks!
Best to do some reading and go through all of the documents on the IRCC website...here is a start.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLish/refugees/sponsor/index.asp

There is also a list of SAH's in Canada on the bottom of this page http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/sponsor/sah.asp

C.

nasj

Star Member
Jan 22, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Before I start my group of five, I contact all the SAH in Toronto to find a Sponsor to no avail.
All of them they said they reached their limit, and I can try in next year.

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nasj said:
Before I start my group of five, I contact all the SAH in Toronto to find a Sponsor to no avail.
All of them they said they reached their limit, and I can try in next year.
Do you have any idea what the limit is? what criteria are they choosing from?

thanks

nasj

Star Member
Jan 22, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know all Syrian are qualify if you have the fund to support them.
I have no idea about the limit.

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
nasj said:
As far as I know all Syrian are qualify if you have the fund to support them.
I have no idea about the limit.
It is up to each SAH to decide how many they wish to sponsor...this is the limit they are talking about. Also, there are targets set at the government level and once these targets are reached they will significantly scale back operations.

Alternatives to SAH is to form a G5 (group of 5) or become a community sponsor.....in essence, if you have a group of people that are willing to raise the funds and take care of the family....if you present this proposal to an SAH they may become more interested I don't know....community sponsor must be an association, organization or corporation...there is more info here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/sponsor/community.asp

c.

Amanj89

Sep 17, 2019
Hi everyone,
My wife and i have been looking for some people to join us sponsoring a refugee who has stuck in Indonesia for 7 years.He got the refugee status by UNHCR but unfortunately he does not have the basic human rights there . Anybody knows people or connections willing to join us? BTW we live in Cummer Ave Toronto . Thanks for your support in advance.