Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
I have seen a ton of people giving visa interviews for study permits so pretty sure interviews are happening for other visa types too.
Student visa appointments are easy to get but other types are pretty hard.

Vidnomenon

Star Member
Oct 19, 2021
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
06-01-2021
Med's Done....
27-10-2020
Passport Req..
20-06-2022
I just submitted my profile in October 2021. Haven't received a AOR as yet.

My past experience after obtaining my 2 yr Diploma from Canada in 2013 has been dire. And I am now back home after many years of patience, struggle, night shifts, low wages, optimism and pessimism, hope and misery. and multiple IELTS examinations with more than average scores (8s). Let me share my experience if you wouldn't mind reading:

Diploma in 2013 December:
Entered Canada as a student and completed a 2-yr Diploma in 2013. I was issued a Work Permit for 2 years right afterwards. Unfortunately, it was rather difficult for me to secure a NOC 0, A, or B level job. After being unable to find the right job, finally I secured a job with a NOC 0 type job. 0632. This was in 2015.

Submitted profile with wrong NOC and docs in 2015:
However, a supposed immigration "lawyer" (actually he was a consultant), suggested I create a profile in 2015 and submitted an application - without my NOC 0632. He used a different NOC, basically hyping up my level of expertise in order for me to be assured eligibility. Anyways, that screwed up my application since Officer wasn't satisfied with my job.

This wasted 2 years since I was waiting for approval. Of course it was rejected in 2017.

Waiting for approval in 2016 and WP extension
Came 2016. I applied for extension of work permit for which I got another year. This was because I could still remain in Canada and reapply for PR under CEC. I applied through the same consultant, not knowing that they might be again using wrong NOCs. By this time, it was already 2017, and my extended WP expired. I reapplied for another WP extension.

To check, I went to a bigger Immigration law firm in downtown Toronto. These individuals told me that my profile was submitted incorrectly, and a fresh application needed to be done right away, plus redo my IELTS. So I withdrew my application and finally submitted a good EE profile late 2018 once I was eligible.

Reapplied for PR again in 2018
At this time I have met all the criteria. My scores were good. But my WP expired in 2017 and my WP extension refusal came in 2018 as well.

Refusal in 2020 January:

This became incredibly difficult. I was hoping that CIC was going to accept my EE application. 2020 January, the letter for my refusal and voluntary departure request came through because while I met all the criteria, I overstayed my visa. After 2017 when my WP expired, I should have left the country. I had enough experience and education from within Canada that I could apply CEC from back home.

But nobody told me that. I was under the impression that since I was inland, I would be accepted. But that wasn't true.

Reapplied for Study Permit and, subsequently, FSW
So I am back home now. In 2020 I reapplied for Study Permit for post-grad course. So this way I can go back, maybe get another WP and re-try. This was suggested to me via different consultant. Sadly, this SP was also refused since Officer was not convinced that I was not going to stay back in Canada.

Now, in 2021, a different immigration lawyer. This time applied for FSW after getting good IELTS scores again. In October consultant submitted my profile. Now FSW is closed.

I am incredibly heartbroken. I don't want to use sad terms, but you get the idea. I don't have a compIT background. Restarting my life back home isn't the easiest thing after working for a life in Canada, doing night shifts, doing labor jobs to support myself, learning to lift heavy boxes, washing dishes, to becoming a managerial level staff at a decent workplace and still working hard. Celebrating St Patricks, Halloween, wearing flannels with my friends in Canada, appreciating the culture there basically.
You went through all of that for a good reason. While you took the right steps by reaching out to people you thought were professionals, you should have done some of your homework yourself.

You sound like a responsible person with a decent work ethic so don't let yourself get beat down
Every action you take still defines your story and so it means you have an opportunity to do something about your future.

What makes (or made?) the Canadian immigration process quite attractive is the idea that anyone can do it, on their own, with effort, research, commitment and time.

Reflect, objectively, on the choices you made that brought you to this point then own your story and see how you take the lessons learned and apply them wisely

• Sad
Reactions: Jazkh

Jazkh

Star Member
Nov 27, 2019
You went through all of that for a good reason. While you took the right steps by reaching out to people you thought were professionals, you should have done some of your homework yourself.
Thank you.

This is essentially the biggest lesson for me. Not to listen to my guide to use a consultant and just do what I thought I should've done. But besides lessons, which I have had plenty of by now, I wish I could get some assurance about the FSW.

Reactions: Vidnomenon

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
The link says people found jobs in 2 days. Will you go out and celebrate now? lol. I understand the psychology of an immigrant especially if Canada is their only chance but what I shared was a study that measured both citizens and immigrants and found an avarage of 4 months (cba to find studies specific to immigrants now, do your own research) to which you responded with "my friends...". If you know some statistics you can see where you're going wrong. You might get lucky and find a job in a week; or super unlucky and not find a job in a year. Unlike you, I have options other than Canada and thanks to that I am not afraid of facing polls and studies about Canada's job market. What's not right is desperate people who like to bend facts the way they want; but I don't do that and all I care is to look at Canada from an unbiased perspective as much as possible.

I should say I was just like you moving to Canada for the first time; my expectations (and dreams) were on the moon. Do your research and set your expectations carefully because reality won't care about what you or your friends think. Not that I care what you'll end up feeling; I just hate playing the desperate immigrant here especially after the shitshow that's been going on for the last 2 years.

Also I should add that whenever people got bashed for "spreading doom & gloom", they actually turned out right. We were witch hunting fellas who said there wouldn't be a single FSW draw in 2021 right? Keep living in your own dreams but it's also good to know what the reality is.
There is a much simpler solution to this dilemma. Come to Canada with your job. I did that and it worked OK for me. Heck prioritizings employment over immigration seems rational to me. Get an employer that routinely transfers employees to Canada. Come with your job, stay as a PR. Better yet, Start PR in your home country.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
I just submitted my profile in October 2021. Haven't received a AOR as yet.

My past experience after obtaining my 2 yr Diploma from Canada in 2013 has been dire. And I am now back home after many years of patience, struggle, night shifts, low wages, optimism and pessimism, hope and misery. and multiple IELTS examinations with more than average scores (8s). Let me share my experience if you wouldn't mind reading:

Diploma in 2013 December:
Entered Canada as a student and completed a 2-yr Diploma in 2013. I was issued a Work Permit for 2 years right afterwards. Unfortunately, it was rather difficult for me to secure a NOC 0, A, or B level job. After being unable to find the right job, finally I secured a job with a NOC 0 type job. 0632. This was in 2015.

Submitted profile with wrong NOC and docs in 2015:
However, a supposed immigration "lawyer" (actually he was a consultant), suggested I create a profile in 2015 and submitted an application - without my NOC 0632. He used a different NOC, basically hyping up my level of expertise in order for me to be assured eligibility. Anyways, that screwed up my application since Officer wasn't satisfied with my job.

This wasted 2 years since I was waiting for approval. Of course it was rejected in 2017.

Waiting for approval in 2016 and WP extension
Came 2016. I applied for extension of work permit for which I got another year. This was because I could still remain in Canada and reapply for PR under CEC. I applied through the same consultant, not knowing that they might be again using wrong NOCs. By this time, it was already 2017, and my extended WP expired. I reapplied for another WP extension.

To check, I went to a bigger Immigration law firm in downtown Toronto. These individuals told me that my profile was submitted incorrectly, and a fresh application needed to be done right away, plus redo my IELTS. So I withdrew my application and finally submitted a good EE profile late 2018 once I was eligible.

Reapplied for PR again in 2018
At this time I have met all the criteria. My scores were good. But my WP expired in 2017 and my WP extension refusal came in 2018 as well.

Refusal in 2020 January:

This became incredibly difficult. I was hoping that CIC was going to accept my EE application. I was waiting for PPR! I was accepted into the EE pool. I paid the $400 RFPF fee. Medical and background passed. Ghost updated. Was watching these forums here everyday.

2020 January, the letter for my refusal and voluntary departure request came through because while I met all the criteria, I overstayed my visa. After 2017 when my WP expired, I should have left the country. I had enough experience and education from within Canada that I could apply CEC from back home.

But nobody told me that. I was under the impression that since I was inland, I would be accepted. But that wasn't true.

Reapplied for Study Permit and, subsequently, FSW
So I am back home now. In 2020 I reapplied for Study Permit for post-grad course. So this way I can go back, maybe get another WP and re-try. This was suggested to me via different consultant. Sadly, this SP was also refused since Officer was not convinced that I was not going to stay back in Canada.

Now, in 2021, a different immigration lawyer. This time applied for FSW after getting good IELTS scores again. In October consultant submitted my profile. Now FSW is closed.

I am incredibly heartbroken. I don't want to use sad terms, but you get the idea. I don't have a compIT background. Restarting my life back home isn't the easiest thing after working for a life in Canada, doing night shifts, doing labor jobs to support myself, learning to lift heavy boxes, washing dishes, to becoming a managerial level staff at a decent workplace and still working hard. Celebrating St Patricks, Halloween, wearing flannels with my friends in Canada, appreciating the culture there basically.
I really feel for you! I think you know everything that went wrong already. I do not want to blabber about past. Just one thing : You have experience in Canada, if you wish consider other countries as well.

My own employer's lawyer gave me a terrible advice. Do not apply for PR till you land in Canada on WP. This is bullshit. Dual intent is very much possible. Anyhoo!

Jazkh

Star Member
Nov 27, 2019
I really feel for you! I think you know everything that went wrong already. I do not want to blabber about past. Just one thing : You have experience in Canada, if you wish consider other countries as well.

My own employer's lawyer gave me a terrible advice. Do not apply for PR till you land in Canada on WP. This is bullshit. Dual intent is very much possible. Anyhoo!
Yes, there has clearly been some misinformation that one must remain inland when applying for PR. I wish I had left Canada once my WP expired.

However, I have now submitted a new profile from home in October 2021. Yet to recieve any AOR. Extremely curious to know how this will end up.

KojiGold

Star Member
Aug 5, 2021
There is a much simpler solution to this dilemma. Come to Canada with your job. I did that and it worked OK for me. Heck prioritizings employment over immigration seems rational to me. Get an employer that routinely transfers employees to Canada. Come with your job, stay as a PR. Better yet, Start PR in your home country.
Sorry if this is a repeated question from you, but did you get your job through any already known contact in Canada? or purely by going through the job-seeking websites?
And may I also ask is your job an IT/Engineering sector or other fields? For my case, I have talked to dozen of relatives and friends who are already in Canada (all through study routes and then PNP) and all of them are certain that for my field (human resources) is nearly impossible to have an employer interested. I have also gone through tens of ads on totaljobs, LinkedIn, and even the Job Bank and nobody even replied. There is one Canadian guy on Quora who mentions that majority of resumes sent from those "currently not eligible to work in Canada" are not even seen by an actual employer and automatically removed from the system. It was funny that Job Bank kept sending me emails of employers interested in me, and when I would go down through the "apply now" page I could see the famous notice of "This employer will only consider those who are eligible to work in Canada".

D

Deleted member 1050918

Good thought but transferring to Canada (as an expat you say I believe?) would be a very rare occurance. One would be lucky to be in a company that has an office in Canada and that can actually make that transfer. Only one of the big names I worked for had an office in Canada (even senior managers hadn't heard about the Canadian office btw lol). This should be more probable in IT/software/compsci; but then again, those tech fellas don't need that anyway. They can rather easily find decent jobs in Ontario and BC.

I see from people's experiences and my own experience that there's really no shortcut to finding good employment in Canada for those not in IT/software. Moving to Ontario helps a lot but that's about it. You just need to go there on your PR, mentally prepare yourself that your journey could take a whole year or even more, you're going to be spending a lot of money for nothing, you'll most likely need to work survival jobs which will not kill you but will kill your soul until you find a decent job (if you turn out lucky enough that is).

If money isn't a problem for one then one could go back to school for an M.Eng. degree with an old enough prof who has good ties with Canadian firms. I see that upon completing the program profs help a lot with finding a job. But gotta avoid those 30-something immigrant profs who know nobody in the field; they'll only work you as cheap/free labor and give you nothing back other than a useless degree.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaycejay

Champion Member
Jan 4, 2020
Category........
FSW
https://canadianimmigrant.ca/immigrate/immigration-law/the-increasing-role-of-ai-in-visa-processing?fbclid=IwAR2nK8-HsycLRUSbhqT5wR0OJeHVZ7w6C6Msfwjx2agaJscQSpNuwclEXJA

IRCC has introduced software so that officers can bulk process applications. The software tool is known as Chinook.
According to an affidavit that IRCC filed in Federal Court, Chinook is a standalone tool that streamlines administrative steps. Applicant information is extracted from their applications and presented in a spreadsheet. Visa officers are assigned a workload of applications through Chinook. They are able to see multiple applications at a time on a single spreadsheet.
This allows them to review the contents of multiple applications on a single screen and allows them to complete administrative steps through batch processes. It also allows visa officers to create “risk indicators” and “local word flags” so that officers can identify possible applications in the processing queue of concern or priority.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Sorry if this is a repeated question from you, but did you get your job through any already known contact in Canada? or purely by going through the job-seeking websites?
None. I joined a certain company with a know preference for employee mobility. I was actually targeting Australia back then. I had PR for Australia (Visa 189). This company had a decent presence in Australia so plan was to join and after sometime move.

I had a word with my boss back then and asked that I want to move sometimes in future and what should I do so he does not feels betrayed. He said nevermind, I am moving myself. He left the company in 5 months. The new boss was a new relationship altogether so I was not having any commitment to keep to him.

After about 6-8 months, my team folded and I was given a choice to move anywhere I want and a period of six months to find a new team to join. I asked one of my colleague (a college friend) that we should move now. We tried Australia at first. Could not get it to work because we were not getting offer together. Then I looked and we interviewed with a team in Canada. That clicked. So we moved to Canada.

Upshot. Look for employers that have liberal employee movement policies.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Good thought but transferring to Canada (as an expat you say I believe?) would be a very rare occurance.
Umm... you can chose employers that are more open to it. There are quite a few of them.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
This should be more probable in IT/software/compsci; but then again, those tech fellas don't need that anyway.
I agree to this. I am in "tech" only. One big reason is that "tech" is not mafia-ized as other engineering fields are. Try doing this in civil. EGBC or similar mafia will make it impossible for you to find a job.