+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Interesting that this system got introduced just after a new minister is sworn in, and actually started saying something about backlogs. I think IRCC is headed at the right path this time, what's worrying though is public safety, if you catch my drift. Hopefully he's not the one in charge of CSBA.
It has been in use well before Fraser got sworn in

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
yes, i have read about it from another blog, if i am right i guess ircc was manually inputting data to the spreadsheet hehe
Yeah the Program analysts input a lot of that data manually and sort them into respective categories. Then they get assigned to “containers” from which senior officers can pick up applications for further processing. Chinook, and its predecessors, then allow the officer to have a high level view of multiple apps, to quickly determine what specific aspects need to be looked at further, based on keywords, and analyst notes.

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
The increasing role of AI in visa processing
NOVEMBER 18TH, 2021

When people submit applications to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) they typically have spent significant time carefully completing forms and assembling documents. They expect that their applications will be processed by visa officers who carefully review the information before them. However, applicants need to understand that artificial intelligence is playing an increasing role in visa processing, as is the bulk processing of applications.

IRCC has not been forthcoming with how it uses technology to process applications, however, through a series of Access to Information Act requests as well as Federal Court of Canada litigation, the public is beginning to get a sense of measures being implemented.

Predicative learning
Automated processing of some categories of applications is not new. Since 2015 most visa-exempt foreign nationals have had to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization before they could board a plane to travel to Canada. These applications were, for the most part, automated applications.

What is less known is that in 2017, IRCC successfully conducted a pilot in which automated systems based on predicative analytics triaged and automatically approved low-risk online temporary resident visa applications from China.

Visa applications were sorted into tiers – the lowest risk for auto-approval, medium and high risk for officer review. This triage model was deployed for all applications from China in 2018, and in the same year was piloted in India. The goal appears to be for artificial intelligence to automatically approve low-risk applications, with officers only manually assessing those that have been flagged as medium to high risk.

Chinook
In addition to automated triaging, IRCC has also introduced software so that officers can bulk process applications. The software tool is known as Chinook.

According to an affidavit that IRCC filed in Federal Court, Chinook is a standalone tool that streamlines administrative steps. Applicant information is extracted from their applications and presented in a spreadsheet. Visa officers are assigned a workload of applications through Chinook. They are able to see multiple applications at a time on a single spreadsheet.

This allows them to review the contents of multiple applications on a single screen and allows them to complete administrative steps through batch processes. It also allows visa officers to create “risk indicators” and “local word flags” so that officers can identify possible applications in the processing queue of concern or priority.

According to the Federal Court affidavit, when visa officers enter Chinook, a message pops up that says, amongst other things, “The Chinook User Interface allows you to view multiple applications for review and initial assessment.

It does not replace reviewing documents… and/or reviewing other information… The refusal notes generator is means to assist with general bona fide refusals. If the notes do not reflect your refusal reasons, please write an individual note.”

Concerns
There have been many concerns raised about the implementation of automated triaging and Chinook. These include the possibility that it is what has led to increased refusal rates, that individual care is not being given to applications, that applications are not being carefully reviewed and instead quickly bulk refused, that AI flagging a file as high-risk will lead to an officer wanting to simply affirm the AI’s finding, that refusal reasons are increasingly consisting of boiler plate templates which is not helpful for applicants, and that it may perpetuate systemic racism.

Because IRCC has not been transparent about the implementation of these systems and their results, it is difficult to confirm if these concerns are founded. Regardless, it is important that those submitting applications understand that Canada’s immigration system is no longer one in which human officers meticulously process individual applications in the order that they are received. I have previously written about how it is important for individuals with refused applications to obtain the internal reasons for refusal, or Global Case Management System (“GCMS”) notes. IRCC’s use of artificial intelligence and bulk refusal generators makes this even more important, as a review of the internal reasons or GCMS are often indicative of whether such software was used, and whether a refused applicant should either file a reconsideration request or seek judicial review to see if a human may reach a different conclusion.

Alysson

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2019
The issue I have with the AI is that they are becoming dependent on it, without the AI being that great. There have been cases of TR receiving a rejection for missing a document, but that document was in the file, the AI didn’t pick it up. So they will just make a decision on the spreadsheet instead of doing a recheck.

Reactions: OneStepAtATime

Skey

Aug 3, 2021
Hi everybody. Mar-2021 AOR here. Just received remedical and PCC request from IRCC. Receiving remedical request is quite common, but PCC is not. Should I be worried or it is normal application processing.

@legalfalcon kindly guide.

Reactions: VVV62
D

Deleted member 1050918

The issue I have with the AI is that they are becoming dependent on it, without the AI being that great. There have been cases of TR receiving a rejection for missing a document, but that document was in the file, the AI didn’t pick it up. So they will just make a decision on the spreadsheet instead of doing a recheck.
AI will reject all files from humans and accept all files from robots = Matrix 5 incoming

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi everybody. Mar-2021 AOR here. Just received remedical and PCC request from IRCC. Receiving remedical request is quite common, but PCC is not. Should I be worried or it is normal application processing.

Nothing to worry about. PCCs can be asked by an immigration officer at his discretion. It will be based on your country of residence, citizenship, travel history etc.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Did they say when they’ll start using it?
Chinook is already in use in India and China offices. Lots of people getting rejected due to this.

Reactions: seadrag0n

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
OINP invites only 6 tech NOC's, some of them might have some overlap with 2173 based on actual job duties but for the most part, they are unique.
When you cross bureaucracy with anything you get a bureaucracy.

NOC is a product of bureaucracy.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020

Did you change location since applying? Could be the reason for PCC request. I got the same request cos I relocated after submitting my application.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
None. I joined a certain company with a know preference for employee mobility. I was actually targeting Australia back then. I had PR for Australia (Visa 189). This company had a decent presence in Australia so plan was to join and after sometime move.

I had a word with my boss back then and asked that I want to move sometimes in future and what should I do so he does not feels betrayed. He said nevermind, I am moving myself. He left the company in 5 months. The new boss was a new relationship altogether so I was not having any commitment to keep to him.

After about 6-8 months, my team folded and I was given a choice to move anywhere I want and a period of six months to find a new team to join. I asked one of my colleague (a college friend) that we should move now. We tried Australia at first. Could not get it to work because we were not getting offer together. Then I looked and we interviewed with a team in Canada. That clicked. So we moved to Canada.

Upshot. Look for employers that have liberal employee movement policies.
You had a 189 visa??? Why didn't you stay in Australia? I mean, wouldn't you both have eventually found employment?

Timbuktu_14

Champion Member
Feb 5, 2020
None. I joined a certain company with a know preference for employee mobility. I was actually targeting Australia back then. I had PR for Australia (Visa 189). This company had a decent presence in Australia so plan was to join and after sometime move.

I had a word with my boss back then and asked that I want to move sometimes in future and what should I do so he does not feels betrayed. He said nevermind, I am moving myself. He left the company in 5 months. The new boss was a new relationship altogether so I was not having any commitment to keep to him.

After about 6-8 months, my team folded and I was given a choice to move anywhere I want and a period of six months to find a new team to join. I asked one of my colleague (a college friend) that we should move now. We tried Australia at first. Could not get it to work because we were not getting offer together. Then I looked and we interviewed with a team in Canada. That clicked. So we moved to Canada.

Upshot. Look for employers that have liberal employee movement policies.
Interesting read. Wonder why you didn't think Aussie was a better shot?