Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
I've seen the word "lambda" tossed around a lot. What type of people does it refer to? Is it a Canadian thing? Urban dictionary didn't help much :D
They are the sacrificial Lambs for Canada. They are the folks who spend their own money to come to Canada and end up serving Canadian community. They take out loans and come to Canada to “study”, do odd part time jobs, and end up pursuing full time career as Uber Eats driver or food service provider, and serve the Canadian Citizens and PR.

P4ndA

Mar 18, 2019
To whom it may concern,

I received an Invitation to Apply and proceeded to apply for Express Entry - Federal Skilled Worker, then submitted on December 16th, 2022.

On June 22nd, 2023, I arrived in Calgary, Alberta, Canada

On July 6th, 2023 I received the Ready-For-Visa letter, and I replied to the letter on the same date via web form as instructed in the Letter (about change of contact information). After submission, I received the automated email with the subject containing E-01-10200-10201-Update or ask about your application: Change or update your contact information-Permanent Residence-Federal Skilled Worker. The automated email confirmed the receipt of my IRCC Web Form.

To my understanding, I did as instructed in the letter and I am supposedly waiting for the portal credentials to log in for the next steps and to be landed virtually in Canada.

However, after calling to IRCC contact centre, an agent confirmed me that IRCC has not received anything replies from me since the date of the Ready-For-Visa letter sent out on July 6th, 2023.

Can you anyone help me with my case please ?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I've seen the word "lambda" tossed around a lot. What type of people does it refer to? Is it a Canadian thing? Urban dictionary didn't help much :D
Actually the term originated when this college called Lambton college was known to enroll massive numbers of intl students that would have no career prospects in the courses that they took. Basically studying to end up working part time or survival jobs. This user called @dankboi just started calling the students that attended there lamdas and the term has just stuck lol

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
I have heard many jokes about Lambton college I never realized it is tied with fake student immigration.

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
Most Canadian based F500 (big banks/insurance) in my experience aren't prepared for this this kind of situation as they always assumed that most people working would be able to get PR on their own - that has been the case for the most part. I believe next year is going to be the year where that won't be the case (assuming they don't give yet another PGWP extension policy).

As for HR policies, its a crapshoot to be honest. Smaller established companies may be more lenient than bigger ones - I know a case where an employer didn't want to sponsor LMIA (he needed it due to age) but he was able to get himself an LMIA by getting hired through a consultancy and getting contracted to his own team, so kept his job as is). I don't know the legality of it but I heard some director in that particular big 5 may have pulled some shady stuff under the table against their own HR's policy.

Perhaps, they will stop hiring people with an open work permit.
I doubt companies will stop hiring open work permit people. They all love the fact they don't have to pay for the visa, all open visa candidates demand lower pay than Canadians. It is a 2 birds with one stone for employers. It is mid management folks like me who have to feel heat both sides
1) From subordinates whose demand LMIAs and Province Sponsorships,
2) A strict No always from Top Management (all across Business & legal/HR/Immigration)
I feel bad often and struggle with my conscience about saying No to employees unless they are totally undeserving like the Lambdas. Reason is I have struggled myself to in my failed Australian immigration & and still have not got my PR here in CAN. I had a episode in the USA, not knowing what to do during a business trip where Indian student workers caught hold of my hand and begged to make the employer enroll her in the H1B lottery.

• Sad
Reactions: OneStepAtATime

primestudio

Star Member
Jul 7, 2018
I doubt companies will stop hiring open work permit people. They all love the fact they don't have to pay for the visa, all open visa candidates demand lower pay than Canadians. It is a 2 birds with one stone for employers. It is mid management folks like me who have to feel heat both sides
1) From subordinates whose demand LMIAs and Province Sponsorships,
2) A strict No always from Top Management (all across Business & legal/HR/Immigration)
I feel bad often and struggle with my conscience about saying No to employees unless they are totally undeserving like the Lambdas. Reason is I have struggled myself to in my failed Australian immigration & and still have not got my PR here in CAN. I had a episode in the USA, not knowing what to do during a business trip where Indian student workers caught hold of my hand and begged to make the employer enroll her in the H1B lottery.
Fair enough, in my experience, Canadian companies didn't think much about hiring PGWP workers unlike that of AUS and UK as they're aware that such employee need to have sponsorship at some point.

As for me, since I did my bachelor in Canada at a top univ in STEM, I don't have any foreign experience (could have gotten > 500CRS if I have atleast 1 year of experience abroad lol). I already have 2 yoe in Canada and will reach 3 yoe (with buffer) before my PGWP runs out.

Its so sad they value 3 years of Canadian experience so little compared to 2 yoe in Canada + 1 yoe abroad - I dunno what's the merit but I believe its harder to get 3 yoe (that would mean you found a job before graduation and started working immediately implied status, I didn't rely on any public policy). I actually had to skip my grandmother's funeral just for the sake of maintaining implied status. Well at least its not in vain.

I guess Canada wants me to go back to my home country for a year before setting as a PR. I just hope If I ever have to go back and forth, all of my Canadian experience wouldn't get easily dismissed by some dumb HR who thinks I'm a recent immigrant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lord_Tony

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
I guess Canada wants me to go back to my home country for a year before setting as a PR.
You can only do your best at this point and unfortunately can't control everything. Sometimes, things take time. I'd also suggest learning French on the side - you'll never know what will eventually help you out.

Given that you're already working in a decent job, do the same if you have to go back. Get your ITA, come back with more accomplishments and skills. Don't let these things significantly impact you, instead utilize that time to double down on building your future.

Always a good idea to ask "Is this the best that I can do with the time I've got?" and keep going.

K

KenshiMK1

If you think about, one way to solve this problem is to simply flood the country with a lot of young people who get citizenship. To the point oldies can not sway elections. And then flood gates for land and housing will open.
I will start with this part. This is incorrect. I have been hiring immigrants that came here after 2018. Everyone requested a transfer. My sample is anecdotal and I accept it. However, liberals created a problem with housing, medical healthcare. Most young people and new immigrants won't vote for them for a simple reason; they are not getting what they expected to get. Please, do not forget one more minor but very important detail. A very left oriented society that strives under Liberals doesn't sit well with new immigrants. There are not many who move from West to Canada. Most are from conservative societies and thus, quite a lot of policies and ways of living are not accepted by new immigrants and they will support anyone who is for more traditional values.

BTW, look at the house ownership data as well... Canadian, by majority are home owners. It used to be 70% or so in 2011s, I guess it is now in 66% or so. And thats why you win elections by more expensive houses.
Exactly what I have mentioned before. Older Canadians are happy with real estate prices. Younger ones and immigrants are not. However, everyone (older and younger) Canadians are turning against high immigration numbers. The reason is simple. Older ones cannot get a medical assistant they need. Younger ones cannot get good paying jobs.

Right now, lowering house prices is taboo. You make them lose election on not doing that, you will get cheap housing.
That's exactly how Trudeau won. I still remember his speech.

Reactions: Impatient Dankaroo

primestudio

Star Member
Jul 7, 2018
You can only do your best at this point and unfortunately can't control everything. Sometimes, things take time. I'd also suggest learning French on the side - you'll never know what will eventually help you out.

Given that you're already working in a decent job, do the same if you have to go back. Get your ITA, come back with more accomplishments and skills. Don't let these things significantly impact you, instead utilize that time to double down on building your future.

Always a good idea to ask "Is this the best that I can do with the time I've got?" and keep going.
Yeah, luckily I have a lot of options on my plate. Hopefully can stay here under my province's PNP (employer can sponsor, but cutoff is quite high as lambdas moved here to take advantage of the pathway), OINP Tech, EE tech draw - At this point, I'll just take whichever comes first.

Most of my friends aren't as lucky and judging from current trend, they will have to come back and work for a while. Sadly, there's not that much diaspora from my country so its probably going to be a lonely future for me

Last edited:
K

KenshiMK1

Well actually, thank you for not advising. Thank you for not telling me to "just move to Alberta or Sask."
And thank you for seeing that the Canada you as an immigrant came to in 2015 is long gone. Many refuse to see this for one reason or the other.
How often are you blamed for "pulling up the ladder behind you"? :p
I didn't come in 2015. I came in 2005. I have been in Canada for almost 20 years.

I haven't had that conversation with anyone. I have been very supportive of immigration until 2020, when new numbers were announced. In 2021, I remember waking up and opening a YT during breakfast and seeing "Breaking" section telling me about record high invitations for Express Entry. That's when I realized that it became about quantity and not quality and the current government will worsen the existing problems. Exactly what happened.

If we look at it from my perspective, I should be happy about current numbers. 1-2 more years and I will sell my condo for 2 millions easily. Heck, I am being offered 1,3 right now. 2 more years of this immigration rate when housing will get to the point of "impossible" and I can sell, quit my job, and just move, right? In reality, I hate to see what new immigrants like yourself are going through. I want you to be successful and have a good life here. It's not your fault that the current government just messed up everything so badly that people who just starting out in Canada have very little opportunities to climb. That's why I am against high numbers of immigration.

K

KenshiMK1

A lot of talented seniors from my previous company got down-leveled when joining FAANG (staff -> senior, senior-> mid) during the hiring boom.
That's fine and kind of expected. You join at a lower level and within 2 years get promoted to senior, then squad lead, then staff. Then you can climb higher (which is actually pretty hard) or just move to management.

Most dev in my current company are questionable - Canadian graduate (both domestic/international) from top 4 university ran circle along the so-called senior (on-paper). My friend working at a big 5 as a dev (not in Toronto/Vancouver) recently got promoted to senior after literally 1 yoe (he was a bachelor graduate without any internship). This is the reality outside of tech hub.
That's correct. We hire mostly from Waterloo, Toronto, McGill and UBC. There are always exceptions but those are the ones we target. In regards to titles; they are inflated. I was senior, then became mid at a different company, then moved to senior at another one, then was hired as mid at my current one and got promoted to senior and then staff.

Last year, I had a lot of tech companies offering position + immigration assistance (Alberta tech PNP) - I was too scared to take it as layoffs loomed near as I was waiting for 2 yoe in Canada to safe guard my PR route just in case my PGWP run out. I'm just waiting for the market to come up to take the bait.
Market is getting better. Most of the companies got in hiring freeze mode because they follow FAANG. FAANG started hiring again, companies are following. Chin up :) You will see a lot of crap until you retire :)

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I will start with this part. This is incorrect. I have been hiring immigrants that came here after 2018. Everyone requested a transfer. My sample is anecdotal and I accept it. However, liberals created a problem with housing, medical healthcare. Most young people and new immigrants won't vote for them for a simple reason; they are not getting what they expected to get. Please, do not forget one more minor but very important detail. A very left oriented society that strives under Liberals doesn't sit well with new immigrants. There are not many who move from West to Canada. Most are from conservative societies and thus, quite a lot of policies and ways of living are not accepted by new immigrants and they will support anyone who is for more traditional values.

Exactly what I have mentioned before. Older Canadians are happy with real estate prices. Younger ones and immigrants are not. However, everyone (older and younger) Canadians are turning against high immigration numbers. The reason is simple. Older ones cannot get a medical assistant they need. Younger ones cannot get good paying jobs.

That's exactly how Trudeau won. I still remember his speech.
I'm hoping to get my citizenship by late 2025 before the election. The first thing I'll do is vote Conservative

Last edited:
Reactions: Taran D