+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
Just curious, how's the feeling of people who got ITA learning french through their blood and tears for several months or years, seeing that a lot of (arguably lazier) people got ITA just by waiting it out for several months?
Do you guys regret learning French by any chance?
Nope, no regrets.

French added 62 points to my score (if I remember correctly). I would be on around 440 without it and I don't expect CRS to drop this low anytime soon (if ever). It would take another 3 draws of 7,000 each to get it down to around 472.

I started learning French at the beginning of Covid lockdowns so I wouldn't be able to apply via FSW until mid 2022 anyway, so I didn't 'lose' any time or anything like that.

I got ITA at a perfect time (Oct 2022), when processing times are ridiculously fast. I never expected to get from ITA to COPR in 2.5 months and from ITA to landing in just over 6 months (landing at the end of April). This allowed me to time my move perfectly when I hoping for it to happen.

Learning another language, especially widely spoken one, is never a bad thing ;)

Last but not least - I like doing hard things. Learning French to B2+/C1 level in 10 months was something I would consider absolutely impossible if it wasn't the only way to increase my CRS score. Hell, the first French teacher I approached even refused to take me on because he said it's impossible. Well, I like proving that very few things are impossible and I consider learning French one of my biggest achievements.

So once again - nope, zero regrets :)

armitabbsn

Oct 6, 2020
Iran
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi
Asking for a friend

She is main applicant , her husband is the dependant.
According to her husband job situation, he cannot land with her. What happens if his COPR and medical expire? Can he land later..?
Can the main applicant do sth for the dependent ?

Jazkh

Star Member
Nov 27, 2019
Nope, no regrets.

French added 62 points to my score (if I remember correctly). I would be on around 440 without it and I don't expect CRS to drop this low anytime soon (if ever). It would take another 3 draws of 7,000 each to get it down to around 472.

I started learning French at the beginning of Covid lockdowns so I wouldn't be able to apply via FSW until mid 2022 anyway, so I didn't 'lose' any time or anything like that.

I got ITA at a perfect time (Oct 2022), when processing times are ridiculously fast. I never expected to get from ITA to COPR in 2.5 months and from ITA to landing in just over 6 months (landing at the end of April). This allowed me to time my move perfectly when I hoping for it to happen.

Learning another language, especially widely spoken one, is never a bad thing ;)

Last but not least - I like doing hard things. Learning French to B2+/C1 level in 10 months was something I would consider absolutely impossible if it wasn't the only way to increase my CRS score. Hell, the first French teacher I approached even refused to take me on because he said it's impossible. Well, I like proving that very few things are impossible and I consider learning French one of my biggest achievements.

I initially agreed on learning French. But I have actually been working throughout Covid. Plus, while some may suggest a better time management, I might have been able to learn it.

It is very commendable that you, and some others here, have learned an entirely new subject from scratch. But for the rest of us its not something to decide on a whim.

To use an analogy, ask someone who has never worked out (gym I mean), to go and lose 100 lbs. Ask 1000 people to do that. How many do you realistically think will succeed? You are that rare person who has made it, even though your first French teacher totally ignored you, and I truly admire you for that.

Keep it up man, and congrats.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

Daren2023

Jan 20, 2023
Category........
FSW
Nope, no regrets.

G
Just curious, how's the feeling of people who got ITA learning french through their blood and tears for several months or years, seeing that a lot of (arguably lazier) people got ITA just by waiting it out for several months?
Do you guys regret learning French by any chance?
Knowing any language is valuable, especially such wide spoken language as French. I learned English when I was in my teens and it has helped me tremendously in life. I am already seeing the benefits of knowing French in my carer and when I travel. AND I continue to learn French after ITA. I am very glad that this immigration program motivated me to learn a new language.

A person who speaks three languages is a polyglot, a person who speaks two languages is bilingual, you know what a person who speaks just one language is called? An American! Don't be an American my friend! (This is a JOKE! I like Americans they are nice people)

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
G

Knowing any language is valuable, especially such wide spoken language as French. I learned English when I was in my teens and it has helped me tremendously in life. I am already seeing the benefits of knowing French in my carer and when I travel. AND I continue to learn French after ITA. I am very glad that this immigration program motivated me to learn a new language.

A person who speaks three languages is a polyglot, a person who speaks two languages is bilingual, you know what a person who speaks just one language is called? An American! Don't be an American my friend! (This is a JOKE! I like Americans they are nice people)
Consistently learning new stuff keeps your brain sharp too. The fun part about chasing any milestone in life is that we rarely enjoy the milestone, but we do enjoy the journey that it requires. :)

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
I initially agreed on learning French. But I have actually been working throughout Covid. Plus, while some may suggest a better time management, I might have been able to learn it.

It is very commendable that you, and some others here, have learned an entirely new subject from scratch. But for the rest of us its not something to decide on a whim.

To use an analogy, ask someone who has never worked out (gym I mean), to go and lose 100 lbs. Ask 1000 people to do that. How many do you realistically think will succeed? You are that rare person who has made it, even though your first French teacher totally ignored you, and I truly admire you for that.

Keep it up man, and congrats.

BTW, although working from home helped a lot with time management and learning French, I carried on working full time throughout Covid. But I guess the lockdown and complete change of my daily pattern helped with adding 2.5h per day for French.

Personally I think that everyone can achieve (almost) everything they want. It's 'just' a case of having strong enough motivation. If someone told me that I will learn another language, let alone in 10 months, I would just laugh at them. But I had no other option - I really wanted to move to Canada, I'm close to 40 so age is not on my side, I maxed out IELTS and PhD wasn't an option (would lose more points for my age), and I wanted to have the flexibility of having PR, rather than being tied to a specific employer, province, etc.

It's like with your example about losing weight. I 100% agree with what you said. But I would add another line to it - let's imagine these 1000 people are all morbidly obese and they are told they must lose 100 lbs or they'll die in 12 months. Suddenly the success rate would go through the roof. It's all about strong enough motivation ;)

The main reason why I often mention learning French is because I genuinely believe that if I could do it, anyone can. It always seems impossible until it's done ;)

Once again, thank you for your kind words :)

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
Hi
Asking for a friend

She is main applicant , her husband is the dependant.
According to her husband job situation, he cannot land with her. What happens if his COPR and medical expire? Can he land later..?
Can the main applicant do sth for the dependent ?
No he will need to reapply for pr or get sponsored by her.

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
"blood and tears"? Lol, you should see what we do at work :D. IELTS and TEF are relatively easy exams and there are no "blood and tears". TEF is annoying a bit, but we all have opportunity costs. Some of us are too impatient to be hung up in the immigration limbo and would finish it with predictability to focus on the real stuff we do. Remember it is not "me vs you", it is "can I get it?".

Depending upon how many things you've seen or what your exposure has been to the international immigration, you can go through a range of emotions. Look at these people (video starts from a timestamp):
I personally dislike this guy (imo he's a loser and non-inclusive), but I was very happy when he got his PPR in this timestamp. They spent 10 years in AU just trying to get a PR and were losing hope, but Canada offered him it instead. Dude still isn't working full time and driving Uber (and thinks of flukey businesses like dropshipping while buying courses from scam gurus), so that sucks, but otoh, he's at peace with what he wanted.

Similarly, I saw that PhD lady who was at 489 from a year or so and when the draws touched 489 she lost age points and was 484. She got an ITA today. She had to leave her research work and do janitorial work to survive. She's a published author and technically she did make a mistake by betting with IRCC. I went on twitter today to congratulate her today :)

Right or wrong, people went all in to this immigration program. If they get an ITA, we all should be very happy for them. Not so much if they are racist or discriminatory though, haha.
I want to watch the video but I don't understand the language..

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
Nope, no regrets.

I have no idea how I would have made it through those several months of waiting if I hadn't learnt French. The uncertainty would have eaten away at me, possibly to the point of abandoning my plans to immigrate. I honestly have no idea how some managed to cope all this time.

That said, without French I wouldn't have enough points even now, so for me it's more of a necessity than for many others.

In any case, I've come to enjoy the language very much, and in the process of learning it I've managed to shed my longstanding fear of learning languages so that's a big plus. It remains to be seen too what sort of advantages being English-French bilingual can bring. I imagine it might be of some help in career advancement in this country.
I guess if your score is around 440, then French is the only choice so it makes sense that you guys would have no regrets.. My question would be harder for someone who sits at 460 - 470, then it's more dilemmatic whether to learn French or to just wait.

But somehow I see the patterns here, people who keep saying that French is possible in 10 months seem to genuinely enjoy learning the language or french. I believe this only applies to certain people in the first place.

In Canada, there will always be a benefit for learning French, beyond getting an ITA.
Can you give an example besides living in quebec and becoming a Canadian PM?

Reactions: Jazkh

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
"blood and tears"? Lol, you should see what we do at work :D. IELTS and TEF are relatively easy exams and there are no "blood and tears". TEF is annoying a bit, but we all have opportunity costs. Some of us are too impatient to be hung up in the immigration limbo and would finish it with predictability to focus on the real stuff we do. Remember it is not "me vs you", it is "can I get it?".

Depending upon how many things you've seen or what your exposure has been to the international immigration, you can go through a range of emotions. Look at these people (video starts from a timestamp):
I personally dislike this guy (imo he's a loser and non-inclusive), but I was very happy when he got his PPR in this timestamp. They spent 10 years in AU just trying to get a PR and were losing hope, but Canada offered him it instead. Dude still isn't working full time and driving Uber (and thinks of flukey businesses like dropshipping while buying courses from scam gurus), so that sucks, but otoh, he's at peace with what he wanted.

Similarly, I saw that PhD lady who was at 489 from a year or so and when the draws touched 489 she lost age points and was 484. She got an ITA today. She had to leave her research work and do janitorial work to survive. She's a published author and technically she did make a mistake by betting with IRCC. I went on twitter today to congratulate her today :)

Right or wrong, people went all in to this immigration program. If they get an ITA, we all should be very happy for them. Not so much if they are racist or discriminatory though, haha.
btw, if you believe that IELTS & TEF are relatively easy exams, then it is also relatively easy to get a Canadian PR right? Especially, if the score falls below 481, then we all just need to be:
1. Below 30 years old
2. Master's degree
3. 3 years of foreign work experience
4. CLB 9 IELTS

pw0032239

Oct 24, 2021
I guess if your score is around 440, then French is the only choice so it makes sense that you guys would have no regrets.. My question would be harder for someone who sits at 460 - 470, then it's more dilemmatic whether to learn French or to just wait.

But somehow I see the patterns here, people who keep saying that French is possible in 10 months seem to genuinely enjoy learning the language or french. I believe this only applies to certain people in the first place.

Can you give an example besides living in quebec and becoming a Canadian PM?
check crs score of ontario french speaking draw, you will get your answer

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
btw, if you believe that IELTS & TEF are relatively easy exams, then it is also relatively easy to get a Canadian PR right? Especially, if the score falls below 481, then we all just need to be:
1. Below 30 years old
2. Master's degree
3. 3 years of foreign work experience
4. CLB 9 IELTS
If IRCC keeps draws regular and the only condition is IELTS + TEF - Canadian PR will continue to be easy. If they pause, show inconsistency, or change rules - it can be an endless chase imo. Last 3 years have been a good example. With number of students and work permit holders crossing all limits, you can be sure that FSWs will take a big hit sooner or later. Right now 481 is good, but for how long? If the draw size goes low (which it should) and PNP applications go high (which are, increase PNP quotas), things won't be predictable anymore.