+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

imransyed

Feb 26, 2020
Category........
FSW
Oh some good news that just came in!

I got a course by course report for my credentials from WES and apparently I have a GPA of 3.2.
That is amazing to me coz i thought it'd be a 2.8 or something and it was really stressing me out because it's difficult to meet any graduate admission requirements with a GPA less than 3.0.

My day is made haha

Edit: oh and they recognise my 3 year bachelor degree as a 4 year Canadian equivalent. Beautiful!

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018

I got a course by course report for my credentials from WES and apparently I have a GPA of 3.2.
That is amazing to me coz i thought it'd be a 2.8 or something and it was really stressing me out because it's difficult to meet any graduate admission requirements with a GPA less than 3.0.

My day is made haha

Edit: oh and they recognise my 3 year bachelor degree as a 4 year Canadian equivalent. Beautiful!
Congrats!!

• Love
Reactions: imransyed

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
You are so spot on! We don't even look at MBA education when we hire management candidates. It is all skills, skills, skills. Even with ATS, we no longer have criterias to filter based on education. It is definitely a poor way to hire if MBA education is used in the initial screening. I interview candidates and was a key advisor in several orgs for management hires - never once we said "This person is an MBA".

I don't know if that's completely true. MBA hardly adds any value to what we already know if we have skills. I think MBA is more of structured path to land an entry-level management role as some companies (traditional orgs) still potentially use it to screen applicants. 95% of all Directors, VPs and C-levels in my org aren't MBAs, and I'm seeing this trend grow more and more.

In my opinion:
  • If someone can run Google ads, there's literally no lack of MBA will hold them back from landing a Paid acquisition role. 3-4 years of accelerated Sr Management path from there is possible.
  • If someone can build financial models, good with excel/Python/(VBA? lol), etc - nothing will hold them back from making that career transition.

Honestly, I prefer candidates who built something of their own vs those who'd blindly run SWOT analysis :D. At least in the cases where we want to hire a top 75 percentile candidate as a preference, we love to see a candidate with a portfolio vs an MBA. I'd try to look for data on MBA preference for hiring that demands a below 75 percentile candidate.

A good read for anyone who is right now re-thinking their career: https://www.reforge.com/blog/how-to-make-career-decisions#Common-Traps-Career-Decisions
What you are saying is very North American or Western European centric thinking and that too in post 80s orgs. More traditional orgs -- in construction, finance, import export, transport, shipping -- tend to have minimal entry requirements with MBA. Its just one more checkmark. I have seen this in action. A friend of mine with good skills in managing teams was denied an AVP level tech position in a major media house because he was not having a post grad management degree. He did his MBA on part time with BITS in India and was able to get similar roles. There is still a major chunk of orgs who recruit based on your degrees and creds. One can make them as their starting point to develop their experience.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
So many points that I can relate to. After the citizenship, I intend to move back to GCC region which has a tonne of traditional orgs, with traditional hiring mindsets. It is not that I need an MBA to learn good management skills or anything, its just that in that region of the world, a degree is door opener. Opposite is true for Canada though.

Can you expand on the Google ads thing a little bit?

Also to all: I am looking for professional career/guidance counsellors who specialize a bit on the mature side of things. MBAcrystalball is well known, but i am still on the look out. Once I am through with it, I will post the results here.

Stay safe out there!
If you intend to move to GCC, why don't you just reach out to few folks in GCC with roles similar to what you want or higher (preferably higher) on Linkedin? It may look annoying from the perspective of other party but lets be honest here: do you have anything to lose here? At worst you will get a lot of "no replies" but thats the worst of it. If you want to end up in GCC, why not get critical info from the horse mouth?

I did something similar way back in 2011 when I had to know about suitability of PhD from Tokyo. I reached out to foreign/indian researchers in Japan who did their degrees from Japan and were working there. I got a lot of inputs. When you have a direct line why guess? Take Linkedin Premium for a month or so as it makes your job easier. Its cheap. Like 25 dollars cheap.

Find few companies that you want to work in there. Find folks in them. Ask them. Simple. Ask your queries. Rinse and repeat few times and you will get a general idea or lack of it. If its lack of it then things are very situational -- which is fine too! You will have to work with those baseline.

Basically, you are trying to get an ad-hoc mentor. It can be pulled off. Its mostly a numbers game. Reach out to 30 and get 3-4 responses.

One more option is to do what I call linkedin window shopping. Go through the profiles of folks working in roles you want to have in GCC on linkedin and see how they might have reached there. Their past experience and education is on display. So you have some data points to work with. Its useful too though not totally accurate.

I used the above method (window shopping) back in the day to get an admit from a really good US university. Basically by analyzing the kind of folks they send admits to (I used to collect resumes of their recent grads), I was able to narrow down what they wanted to hear in application package. I applied only to that univ and got the admit there. I did not go there but thats a very different story.

Last edited:

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
What you are saying is very North American or Western European centric thinking and that too in post 80s orgs. More traditional orgs -- in construction, finance, import export, transport, shipping -- tend to have minimal entry requirements with MBA. Its just one more checkmark. I have seen this in action. A friend of mine with good skills in managing teams was denied an AVP level tech position in a major media house because he was not having a post grad management degree. He did his MBA on part time with BITS in India and was able to get similar roles. There is still a major chunk of orgs who recruit based on your degrees and creds. One can make them as their starting point to develop their experience.
I have worked internationally for the large part of my life. So, my perspective is definitely EU and NA based. One thing about these traditional orgs that you listed is that most of them are shrinking verticals(I think fintech isn't a shrinking vertical yet). By shrinking, I mean these companies only focus on reducing operational costs as they're unlikely to hit inflection points and live on incremental growth. Would make sense for these companies to hire less ambitious and mediocre candidates.

But, I'm definitely seeing a small percentage of people who have vertical focused experience (e.g. fisheries, warehousing, etc) also take management positions as they build "career defensibility" and are almost irreplaceable. So, hopefully the trend changes there to accommodate worthy applicants.

There is still a major chunk of orgs who recruit based on your degrees and creds. One can make them as their starting point to develop their experience.
Definitely. However, if someone is trying to improve their career - those organizations are not the right fit for them. Sub optimal pay and lack of opportunities to help a candidate carefully craft their executive role. After all, your career growth potential = environment of the company * your skills.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Just a small example of how easy it is to land the same job using different tactics. Applies to nearly all jobs that MBA promises. This discussion will deviate significantly from the FSW thread, so I'll pause here. Happy to share more info in DM.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
I have worked internationally for the large part of my life. So, my perspective is definitely EU and NA based. One thing about these traditional orgs that you listed is that most of them are shrinking verticals(I think fintech isn't a shrinking vertical yet). By shrinking, I mean these companies only focus on reducing operational costs as they're unlikely to hit inflection points and live on incremental growth. Would make sense for these companies to hire less ambitious and mediocre candidates.

But, I'm definitely seeing a small percentage of people who have vertical focused experience (e.g. fisheries, warehousing, etc) also take management positions as they build "career defensibility" and are almost irreplaceable. So, hopefully the trend changes there to accommodate worthy applicants.
I believe in what Taleb calls Lindy's Effect. If something has existed for a long time, it will exists in future too for quite sometime to come. Come think of it, why do Mainframes still exist in banks for transaction processing? Legacy does not die fast enough.

Meanwhile, front ends moved from terminals to thick clients / application to web based client to back to thick mobile apps and again back to web apps. It applies to businesses too. Tech businesses turn up side down every five years. Banks are still here and they will likely be still here for some time. So is construction. So is mining and petroleum. List is long.

That being said, its one thing to use an existing thing and its another to become one with an existing thing. One should do the former and no the later. Develop skills, learn domain but do not become a champion for legacy. I did it and its possible. I have friends who took up job in IBM to kick start their career but never became IBM types.

Definitely. However, if someone is trying to improve their career - those organizations are not the right fit for them. Sub optimal pay and lack of opportunities to help a candidate carefully craft their executive role. After all, your career growth potential = environment of the company * your skills.
Ultimately, it comes to the person. I will say why struggle when you can use an existing system to your advantage. Use it, grow and jump out of it. Nothing stops you from learning valuable skills while working for a rent seeker. Best part? They are paying you too!

Someone really fun in a really fun movie once said "I work for bank but I do not think like a bank, big bank small bank I like to make money."

Last edited:

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I agree with you a little bit, MBA is outdated but the only Bachelor's degree that I have is low gpa and from a not so great college in India. And now that I sort off realize the value of good education and the doors it can open, I want one degree for which I will put in my everything.

Thankfully, I am a PR so for me, the price is not a big factor at all. I would not be spending international student fees on any degree anywhere though. For me an MBA/grad degree is just a door stopper for me to get in, and then the marketing skills plus experience matters more. I have never used anything I learned in my Bachelors at all and I work in supply chain/procurement, so it is very related to the degree I have. (business administration)

I don't know if I have the skills, but I certainly have the need/want/hunger to develop more skills. Its just that my circumstances have really limited me to get my foot in the door. However when I do get an interview call, I tend to ace it with flying colors but its for job that haven't helped me develop new skills really.
That's what I want the MBA to do for me. Open new doors, show recruiters that I have potential and the ability to learn and be good at anything I apply myself to. Kinda want to prove that to myself too.

So many points that I can relate to. After the citizenship, I intend to move back to GCC region which has a tonne of traditional orgs, with traditional hiring mindsets. It is not that I need an MBA to learn good management skills or anything, its just that in that region of the world, a degree is door opener. Opposite is true for Canada though.

Also to all: I am looking for professional career/guidance counsellors who specialize a bit on the mature side of things. MBAcrystalball is well known, but i am still on the look out. Once I am through with it, I will post the results here.

Stay safe out there!
I think if you want to go back to the GCC then the MBA is a good idea, mainly because they have a strong preference for people with Western education and experience, so they don't mind paying a premium in terms of salary to bring someone on board with that kind of background, because they feel they will enrich their organization. They've also always been snobby when it comes to treating and paying Western nationals compared to nationals from the developing world, it's always been part of their mindset.

I don't really know how others get along with Indian qualifications here in the job market, I'm assuming if they have good experience from large internationally known corporations, there is less of an emphasis on where they get their educational credentials from. Do you feel you're primarily disadvantaged because your institution is not well known in India or because it's an Indian qualification in general?

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
I think if you want to go back to the GCC then the MBA is a good idea, mainly because they have a strong preference for people with Western education and experience, so they don't mind paying a premium in terms of salary to bring someone on board with that kind of background, because they feel they will enrich their organization. They've also always been snobby when it comes to treating and paying Western nationals compared to nationals from the developing world, it's always been part of their mindset.

I don't really know how others get along with Indian qualifications here in the job market, I'm assuming if they have good experience from large internationally known corporations, there is less of an emphasis on where they get their educational credentials from. Do you feel you're primarily disadvantaged because your institution is not well known in India or because it's an Indian qualification in general?
I am also very curious as how will they treat a person with Canadian passport and Canadian degree but with Indian roots. I doubt our friend @imransyed will have to tell them his place of birth but guess some of it will show up in his resume and past degrees.

That being said, pay is usually good in GCC in traditional businesses.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I am also very curious as how will they treat a person with Canadian passport and Canadian degree but with Indian roots.
I am too, but at least in terms of salary, you will be on the scale the Westerners are on. As long as you're getting paid like a Canadian/American/Brit/European, the other stuff shouldn't be an issue.

No one goes to the Gulf for the work environment, they go there for the money and lifestyle.

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018

My day is made haha

ECA is mandatory to get admission?

MysteryLog

Jan 19, 2023
There was no FSW draw this week as expected. Anyone have an idea if the new FSW format which focuses on specific jobs for ITA issuance has started?

imransyed

Feb 26, 2020
Category........
FSW
Yes, even here in Canada this thinking is still there. Eg: the job I have currently wanted a bachelor's degree or a SCMP certificate at least. Now that I am in the roll, I only need basic computer skill. Don't even need 12th grade education to do what I do. And of course, the white Canadian who is in the same position but senior to me due to age/experience only has a technician diploma. Anyway, I digress. This mentality is even more prevalent in GCC countries.
If you intend to move to GCC, why don't you just reach out to few folks in GCC with roles similar to what you want or higher (preferably higher) on Linkedin? It may look annoying from the perspective of other party but lets be honest here: do you have anything to lose here? At worst you will get a lot of "no replies" but thats the worst of it. If you want to end up in GCC, why not get critical info from the horse mouth?

I did something similar way back in 2011 when I had to know about suitability of PhD from Tokyo. I reached out to foreign/indian researchers in Japan who did their degrees from Japan and were working there. I got a lot of inputs. When you have a direct line why guess? Take Linkedin Premium for a month or so as it makes your job easier. Its cheap. Like 25 dollars cheap.

Find few companies that you want to work in there. Find folks in them. Ask them. Simple. Ask your queries. Rinse and repeat few times and you will get a general idea or lack of it. If its lack of it then things are very situational -- which is fine too! You will have to work with those baseline.

Basically, you are trying to get an ad-hoc mentor. It can be pulled off. Its mostly a numbers game. Reach out to 30 and get 3-4 responses.

One more option is to do what I call linkedin window shopping. Go through the profiles of folks working in roles you want to have in GCC on linkedin and see how they might have reached there. Their past experience and education is on display. So you have some data points to work with. Its useful too though not totally accurate.

I used the above method (window shopping) back in the day to get an admit from a really good US university. Basically by analyzing the kind of folks they send admits to (I used to collect resumes of their recent grads), I was able to narrow down what they wanted to hear in application package. I applied only to that univ and got the admit there. I did not go there but thats a very different story.
I have already did the cold texting, a fair bit of it. I still do it actually but never focused on it from your pov! Okay, lets see how it goes then. :D
Having grown up there, I already know a lot of stuff that I need to be doing. One can ask, well if I knew everything about career progression in GCC, why am I so lost now? It's a long story and I have my reasons but a major factor is also that GCC region stayed pretty much the same from 1970s boom years to 2014. From then on, it has changed every day, for the worse you can say. They are prioritizing very highly skilled people over low/decently skilled intensely. More on this later.

100% agree with getting into an org with good opportunities. Living in GCC, you more or less get good/optimal pay but the type of experience can be very different.

YESSS!
Multitude of reasons but mostly indian nationality and indian low grade credentials, a metric ton of nepotism also can be added to the list.
But one thing is given, if you have excellent experience but mediocre credentials, a few good jobs may not be offered to you unless you have a gold medal or something in your education. This is only valid for freshers though. Of course there comes a time where creds dont matter at all. Also this would probably mean a recruiter reaching out to you, instead you submitting your resume to them.

ECA is mandatory to get admission?
Yes, so far in my case it is. Any foreign credential used to apply for a course in Canada as a PR or Citizen needs an equivalency cert from WES/ICAS, and a course by course assessment (for IRCC the assessment type is different.)

WES did it for me in less than 5 days, far faster from the 1-3 month time it took when I applied for the first time.

Last edited:

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
There was no FSW draw this week as expected. Anyone have an idea if the new FSW format which focuses on specific jobs for ITA issuance has started?
There's no new FSW format. There'll be a stream for targeted C-19 draws. FSW draws will go in parallel (from what IRCC has said).

Honestly, we don't know why the pause. There is no communication.

Could be that they already overshoot their targets for Q1(14,500/70,000 ITAs issued), hoping to resume after a certain wait time.

Could be that they are planning to resume draws with C-19 streams in motion too.

Could be another IT glitch.

Could be that they are falling behind service levels for July/Aug ITAs and are trying to catch-up? Who knows.

Reactions: zagcollins

ilikesnow

Apr 19, 2022
Sydney
NOC Code......
ADIOS!
My journey although started in 2018, when I first applied for WES evaluation, by the time I got IRCC respected 8777 IELTS scores in 2019, the CRS went way above my capability. Got invited by Alberta in Sep 2021 out of Blue, got AINP and applied in Oct 2021. December 2021 was application got cancelled as incomplete, as it was missing key documents and wrong PCC(My sister did the application, as I was too busy with work).

I wasn't serious about moving to Canada but just wanted to be on safe side as my whole family lives there! Got AINP PNP again in Sep 2022 and re-did the application by myself. Application approved 24th Jan 2023.

Thanks everyone for making this place/forum a great source of information, application data and helpful individuals. I don't think many of us could have done this without the Forum.