Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
Hi! I received a nomination in May 2022 and an invitation to apply for PR in June. So I submitted all the required documents. However, since I live in USA I got the police certificate from the county because I didn't know that I need to get it from the FBI, the website wasn't working back when I applied. So they sent me a rejection letter. Is there a way to appeal? Also, I am willing to submit a new application but will OINP accept to link my nomination to my new application after I got rejected?
Unlikely that IRCC will reconsider. In the times of IRCC rejecting applications for silly reason, your application has a classic reasoning to reject. Rejection due to PCC is one of the common mistakes. You can reapply anytime.

Reactions: klubsoda

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
Ukrainian family wishes they were warned about B.C.'s pricey rental market

Ukrainians who have escaped their war-torn country are arriving in British Columbia to find themselves thrust into the province's ultra-competitive rental market with little help finding a home.

Dr. Arif Qammar reached Canada with his wife and three children on Aug. 15, and has spent the last two weeks in a desperate search for an adequate two-bedroom home.

"When I go to see a house, there are 15 people, 20 people, 30 people waiting there," Qammar said.

Low vacancy rates in the province's Lower Mainland mean landlords can be picky about their tenants, with many asking for employment records and credit history – something that can immediately disqualify refugees and other new arrivals.

The rental rates that even cramped accommodations can fetch have also left Qammar stunned, particularly after clearing out much of their savings spending about $7,000 on long, zig-zagging flights into Canada.

"I was going crazy," he told CTV News. "For small basements they are charging $2,200, $2,400."

And as they’ve grown increasingly anxious about finding a home, Qammar and his family have nearly fallen prey to online scammers offering to help them settle for hundreds of dollars – an issue acknowledged on the B.C. government's "Welcoming Ukraine" website

DWINDLING LIST OF CANADIAN HOST FAMILIES
Qammar's family of five has been living at a Richmond hotel since their arrival, fully funded by SUCCESS, one of the largest providers of settlement services in the province.

But hotels are supposed to be a temporary measure, and Qammar said he has faced daily pressure to find somewhere permanent – something he has struggled to do, despite repeated calls to a variety of organizations in the province.

Among them is the Maple Hope Foundation, which has helped nearly 70 Ukrainian families settle into B.C. since the start of the Russian invasion, pairing them with Canadian host families and developers willing to provide free rent.

But with no end in sight for the Ukrainian conflict, the war has lost much of the public's attention. Offers to house Ukrainian refugees have dried up, according to Maple Hope Foundation co-founder Svitlana Kominko.

"I think it's human nature – we get used to things, even something horrific like this," she said.

And while Kominko believes the B.C. government has done a "great job" aiding Ukrainians by providing six months' financial assistance and helping them secure employment, she said there is little help breaking into the pricey rental market.

"The province is not assisting them in terms of housing, and that's very unfortunate," Kominko said. "Financial assistance is close to $1,000 a month for six months (for a single adult) – but you know the rental prices in Vancouver."

DISCOURAGED REFUGEE FAMILIES LEAVING FOR OTHER PROVINCES
Kominko said she's seen a number of families arrive in B.C. and scramble for weeks to find housing, only to eventually give up and move to another province – something Qammar wishes he knew before booking his flights.

His message now to others eyeing Canada as they flee Ukraine: "Stay away from B.C."

"They should educate people not to come to B.C. because B.C. has a problem with housing. They should push them to go to maybe Calgary or Halifax or Hamilton or somewhere far from big cities," he added.

The provincial government said it could not comment on Qammar’s family’s situation for privacy reasons, but noted that B.C. Housing is continuously working to help Ukrainians settle in the province.

"Our immediate focus is on housing options when people first arrive. Some of the options available are volunteer host families and short-term hotel stays, while families stabilize and are assisted to connect with a range of services and longer-term housing," the Ministry of Attorney General and Responsible for Housing said in an email statement.

"Other organizations involved in housing include the federal government, United Way and the Ukrainian Canadian Congress."

So far, the federal government has approved 216,034 applications under the Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel program, allowing Ukrainians to relocate into the country quickly. B.C. could not confirm how many have come to the province.

Kominko agrees with Qammar there should be messaging warning Ukrainians to consider alternatives to the west coast, but said there’s a good chance it wouldn’t reach refugees in fraught situations.

“Some have very low awareness, or they are so traumatized they are not even thinking properly,” she said. “They just go.”

• Sad
Reactions: OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Star Member
Jun 23, 2021
SEA
Category........
FSW
Congrats @ElvisRamaj !

Looking forward to saying the same to @mushymush in two weeks. It still feels strange to have been invited while you're still waiting. I'm expecting an acceleration in the growth of the 501-600 pool, to perhaps 1000 thanks to the new month, but that shouldn't affect you as long as the draw pattern holds. Fingers crossed!

@ashu2111 you have nerves of steel my man, letting an ITA pass you by like that!

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
IRCC is known to deny study permit if you have an active EE profile. You don't have to withdraw it but the chances of refusal go up.
There was a court case in which Canadian supreme court explicitly ruled for dual intent.
https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/fct/doc/2019/2019fc423/2019fc423.html
The applicant had a MBA from India and was repeating her MBA in Canada. She wanted to repeat MBA after 12 years in Canada from a much better university and she also saw her prospectives in senior management positions in Canada or real-estate industry in India. Court agreed that she can have both of these intents at the time of application.

[31] There is nothing inherently illogical about the Applicant wanting to eventually live in Canada (a goal that she may or may not achieve at some point in the future) and her intent to work in real estate in India until that goal is achieved, and indefinitely if that goal is not achieved.
The law clearly says dual intent is possible : https://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/i-2.5/section-22.html
  • (2) An intention by a foreign national to become a permanent resident does not preclude them from becoming a temporary resident if the officer is satisfied that they will leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for their stay.
Here is also the instructions to the VOs : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/dual-intent-applicants.html

Now coming to higher rates of rejections of SP. Well, people with dual intents often have some years of work experience and are away from studies at times for 5+ years. Some of them are even trying to repeat the degrees in Canada. This will attract higher scrutiny and rejection, not just because of dual intent but because of their complicated profiles and often not straight forward as a person just out of college. It has more to do with the person's complicated profile and case and less to do with their dual intent.

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
There was a court case in which Canadian supreme court explicitly ruled for dual intent.
https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/fct/doc/2019/2019fc423/2019fc423.html
The applicant had a MBA from India and was repeating her MBA in Canada. She wanted to repeat MBA after 12 years in Canada from a much better university and she also saw her prospectives in senior management positions in Canada or real-estate industry in India. Court agreed that she can have both of these intents at the time of application.

The law clearly says dual intent is possible : https://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/i-2.5/section-22.html

Here is also the instructions to the VOs : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/dual-intent-applicants.html

Now coming to higher rates of rejections of SP. Well, people with dual intents often have some years of work experience and are away from studies at times for 5+ years. Some of them are even trying to repeat the degrees in Canada. This will attract higher scrutiny and rejection, not just because of dual intent but because of their complicated profiles and often not straight forward as a person just out of college. It has more to do with the person's complicated profile and case and less to do with their dual intent.
I also read that high rejection rate for SP's is happening because IRCC received 50% more SP applications this year than during the same time last year.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
I also read that high rejection rate for SP's is happening because IRCC received 50% more SP applications this year than during the same time last year.
Its more than that, they have started to use Chinook. That means automated rejection. They are rejecting on weird basis which no one knows of. They auto generate rejection letter with no information.

Reactions: klubsoda

AlmostThere2

Star Member
Apr 22, 2022
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
07-08-2020
Its more than that, they have started to use Chinook. That means automated rejection. They are rejecting on weird basis which no one knows of. They auto generate rejection letter with no information.
Maybe this system is what is issuing mass rejection, but I personally know of quite a few young people that have been rejected, most that went for masters and a younger one that went for his bachelor, of course, there could be something wrong with their applications, but hearing of many rejections and only one success around me kinda makes you think that there may be some truth to rejection based on country of origin, didn't Steven Meurrens tweet something to that effect? Or maybe it was a collab that Holthe did with another immigration lawyer. But I agree that if someone had taken a long hiatus from school and they were asking for a study permit, I'd evaluate their case with higher scrutiny too.

D

Deleted member 1006777

Congrats @ElvisRamaj !

Looking forward to saying the same to @mushymush in two weeks. It still feels strange to have been invited while you're still waiting. I'm expecting an acceleration in the growth of the 501-600 pool, to perhaps 1000 thanks to the new month, but that shouldn't affect you as long as the draw pattern holds. Fingers crossed!

@ashu2111 you have nerves of steel my man, letting an ITA pass you by like that!
Ty mate. I'm not too concerned honestly. If it happens it happens. If not, I move on. I called an FST draw in August. Glad I was wrong. But I wonder if the universe wants to stick it to me by having it two weeks from now lol.

But yeah good job getting the ITA. I'm just here hoping the app itself doesn't get rejected for some asinine reason.

ashu2111

Jul 15, 2020
hey Ashu, what's your concern with declining the ITA? I do have an ITA and i hope to decline it (if things go the way I intend them to), so got curious after seeing your comment...
There is no specific concern. I just need need PCCs from different countries, one of them got lost in the mail, so all these documentation is taking much longer than I expected.

Reactions: Rohit Chhabra

ashu2111

Jul 15, 2020
Congrats @ElvisRamaj !

Aha. Thanks man. Trust me, I don't want to pass it. It's just that I need to get a few things in order and then by the mid of September, I'll get in the pool. My Dutch PCC got lost twice in the mail and I am insecure af about it lol.

Starboy12

Jul 6, 2021
Hey guys, my medicals expire beginning of November. I planned to travel by beginning of October as I got PPR since July and sent my passports to London immediately but it’s been 7 weeks and they still haven’t issued my COPR and are still with my passport.(they haven’t responded to my over 15 emails explaining that I need my passport for other things) I’m really worried especially because of the medical expiration timeframe even though it’s clearly the fault of IRCC London office.
Anyone had any sort of similar experience please?

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Unlikely that IRCC will reconsider. In the times of IRCC rejecting applications for silly reason, your application has a classic reasoning to reject. Rejection due to PCC is one of the common mistakes. You can reapply anytime.
Posts like those really amaze me a lot! People are struggling to get nominations or invites and people who have got it .. say they "didn't know" FBI PCC was needed .. It is an immigration application why would one not take the time to educate themselves

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Aha. Thanks man. Trust me, I don't want to pass it. It's just that I need to get a few things in order and then by the mid of September, I'll get in the pool. My Dutch PCC got lost twice in the mail and I am insecure af about it lol.
I understand your concern but if I were you I would rather get in the pool get ITA and not submit the application if I don't get the documents. The profile will automatically go back to the pool. There is nothing to lose here.

60 days is still a lot of time and chances are you do get your documents in that time. And you get to submit your application.