+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

D

Deleted member 994371

When are you planning to go back?

Summers, next year. If I go to Vancouver, I might go in Feb.

I wish to get into IT contracting work over there. I will try to find some sort of employment even before landing there since I have everything needed for be employed now (SIN, bank account, etc).

Waiting for my PR card to arrive so that I can formalize my plan. Till then working on a few certifications which will help in my trade.

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
WTF is wrong with these greedy landlords...!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
In order to describe what I saw in Brampton to you, I would have to introduce you to the concept of Yuga in Hindu Mythology.

Now, I am what you call a non-religious person. But once I stayed in Brampton, I am convinced that Brampton is Kali Yuga personified.

Just to describe Kali Yuga to you:

Before I left my country for a "brief" period, I didn't really understand exactly what Indian culture was. Compared to the west, there is an extra level of friendliness involved in day-to-day dealings with people.

Have some guest show up at your door? Invite them into your home for tea. Someone shows up at your door in the evening? Offer them dinner. You have a medical emergency? The whole of the neighborhood will come together to help you in your time of need. Going to a city where your extended family lives? You will probably be invited to stay with them instead of staying in a hotel. If you say no, they might even be offended. Stuck in an unknown place? Ask someone for directions and they will take you to that place instead of just telling you the directions.

You get the point. In my culture, there is an obligation to go above and beyond to help someone out. There is a sense of community wherever you go. I am not well-traveled but I am willing to say that this is more of an East vs West thing. I have heard similar things in neighboring countries as well. That's not to say there is no deceit involved. Someone might try to cheat you by displaying the same level of friendliness. But it is unusual if not the norm.

In Canada (or rather the west) life is about individualism. If you tell someone about your troubles, a person is more likely to just express concern for your problem by saying something like "Oh no! That's terrible! I hope you find a solution to your problem!" There is no obligation to go above and beyond to help someone out. And at the exact same time, people will come across to you as extremely friendly. Even when people say no, they make sure that there will be no hostility between you and them. People say a lot of rhetorical things to one another upon greeting one another, which seemed rather superficial to me.

Here is what troubled me about Brampton. The Indians, over there, in order to assimilate into the "Canadian" culture lose or forget that friendliness expected when dealing with people. But at the same time, they don't let go of the bad aspects of Indian culture. For ex. being nosy, being extremely cheap and selfish, cutting corners, taking shortcuts in dubious ways etc. No one really learns how to be courteous like Canadians and all they are left with are just the bad aspects of our culture. That makes them terrible people deal with it. In fact, I would go so far as to describe them as not Indians, but as a whole new breed of people between Canadians and Indians.

Here is what I saw in Brampton:

1. The Indians over there don't talk to one another. The need to mingle, even with your neighbors which is pretty common in India, is all gone. Everyone just minds their business, which sounds like a good thing but seems strange for someone like me. When you see someone speaking your tongue, you expect some Indianness out of them, which unfortunately is missing.

2. I rented a room through a friend of a friend. Upon reaching there I realized that I was overcharged by 200%. They justified it by saying that no one really lets out a place for just a month and since you make a decent enough amount of money in India, you shouldn't worry about it. The owner of the house, upon learning how much money I made in India, tried to fleece more money out of me. I need a work desk to work during the day. It was placed in another room - his solution? Pay him a few dollars more to use that desk. We came to an agreement where I would pay a little more so that I could use some of his groceries like salts, spices, milk for tea, etc. At the end of my stay, he wanted me to pay him extra for milk again. I barely used a liter of milk, but he needed to pay that extra 6$ for the tea. I had to fight him not to charge me extra. This man owned two houses in Brampton (which go over $1 million each) and owned two really nice cars, but even then he needed extra money for tea. Other stuff included asking me to turn off the lights in my room when using the bathroom.

3. My relatives, who I was on really good terms back in my city, refused to invite me over to their place. At first, they said it is because of Corona, so you should maybe quarantine (and this was in July this year) for a few days before you come to see us. They reluctantly eventually invited me before I was leave for other cities, but treated me like a complete outsider. No warmth or friendliness at all. They also told me stuff like "My son never looks at the price of anything! He just buys whatever he likes!" to imply that I was cheap. Only after they learned that I will be traveling throughout Canada in the peak of summer (read: top dollar for flights and hotels) did they calm down and treated me more normally.

4. In order to travel between satellite cities of Toronto on weekends (because no public transport on weekends between them, go figure), I used a ride-sharing app. The Indian drivers would always ask for more money than agreed upon after I sat in their cars. Without fail. One even tried to charge me 100$ (the agreed-upon price was 20$) because other people on the ride didn't show up so now I should make up for it, otherwise he can't afford to go.

Now before you say "Duh! East is east and west is west. Of course, there are cultural differences." As an Indian, it feels very strange to go through these experiences with your own people. It feels like you woke up one day, and everyone around is just slightly more evil now. You ask yourself why to put yourself through a place like this. Why not deal with westerners, where everyone at least seems friendly on the surface, even if it's superficial.

The Indians outside of Brampton were cool. Every time I sat in a cab with an Indian driver, they would tell me their stories about how they, too, got cheated somehow by another Indian in the beginning. Everyone advised me to stay away from Brampton, at least for the initial period. They told me to only move there once I am more settled down and understand that place and its quirks.

Edit:
I did find some traces of Indian hospitality, which I forgot to mention above:

1. When I went to the bank to open the bank account, I found out that the money I transferred beforehand to an account was blocked for some reason. The branch that I visited couldn't remove the hold even after trying everything. The (Indian) lady who opened the bank account for me, kept in touch with me for three days after that incident, calling me every day and asking me if I was able to resolve my issue and how I was doing. She even offered me all kinds of good advice about various things on starting life from scratch over here. At first, I thought it was a marketing gimmick, but it turned she was just extra nice.

2. I was catching a bus between two cities from Brampton. Upon reaching my bus terminal, I mentioned my destination to my cab driver, he told me I selected the wrong bus terminal. The actual bus terminal was 4km away. He canceled his upcoming ride and took me to the right bus stop without charging me more.
I lived in different parts of India and "keeping to oneself" is very visible in India as well if you are not in the similar region of india. For example a Maharashtrian living in Chennai will see the similar phenomenon -- I guess mostly due to language. But I have seen the same in Maharastra apartment complexes too, where most people can communicate in Hindi among each other.

In that sense, Punjabi or sikhs operate differently. They have Gurudwaras in which they all gather and take food at least once a week. It also acts as a bonding and meeting point too, keeping each other informed of each other's problems.

D

Deleted member 994371

I lived in different parts of India and "keeping to oneself" is very visible in India as well if you are not in the similar region of india. For example a Maharashtrian living in Chennai will see the similar phenomenon -- I guess mostly due to language. But I have seen the same in Maharastra apartment complexes too, where most people can communicate in Hindi among each other.

In that sense, Punjabi or sikhs operate differently. They have Gurudwaras in which they all gather and take food at least once a week. It also acts as a bonding and meeting point too, keeping each other informed of each other's problems.

I only have experiences of living in Rajasthan, Gujarat and Delhi, which constitute as North India, culturally speaking. I have also lived in Goa but only for a couple of months. But I suppose Goa could be considered multicultural, as true Goans are far and few.

Do things work differently in South?

About the friendliness thing - have you ever missed it? You have lived in many places including Japan. Did you experience it when you left India for the first time? Or were you exposed to the west at an early age so you were already familiar with it?

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
About the friendliness thing - have you ever missed it? You have lived in many places including Japan. Did you experience it when you left India for the first time? Or were you exposed to the west at an early age so you were already familiar with it?
These things tend to be personal choices. For me, I like if my neighbours etc know us but are not too interested in us. All around me, I see people and we say hi to each other but thats the extent of it. I keep ties deeper with friends and family. I also prefer to live with my parents, my in-laws and extended family as well. With neighbours, its always we know each other but we are not into each other's business. I have lived mostly in big urban centres and last 20 years have been in places with too many barriers on communication and socializing so this "urban friendliness" or lack there of is nothing new for me. I am sort of adapted in that manner.

Canada or rather Vancouver has been VERY similar to B'lore in that sense. Highly segmented multicultural collage of people. Victoria.... duh... Pandemic screwed up all my chances to socialize. We had few socializing events in Vancouver. We had many times guests coming to my apartment. I had very good relations with my landlord. I barely knew my neighbours. Only one neighbor we knew because their dog kept on barking all day. My most memorable moment in that sense is my meeting with few Church of Mormon people and a visit to their Church in North Van. I was always curious to see how a real world church operates and what a mass looks like. They were the most accommodating people I have met.

Japan is a totally different beast however. It takes things to a REAL extreme. People live in a bubble of sorts and people tend to respect each other's bubble. They have perfected the art of seeing but not noticing anything. It is like this : You are in a train and you see the guy in front of you being absolutely drunk. People around him will not even notice him even if he is losing control and say yelling stupidly. They will continue being head down in their phones etc. I guess they learnt it because many folks had to live in accommodation in which walls were literally paper thin. You need to learn to tune out the world if you want to live peacefully in such accommodations.

Reactions: OneStepAtATime

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
2. I rented a room through a friend of a friend. Upon reaching there I realized that I was overcharged by 200%. They justified it by saying that no one really lets out a place for just a month and since you make a decent enough amount of money in India, you shouldn't worry about it. The owner of the house, upon learning how much money I made in India, tried to fleece more money out of me. I need a work desk to work during the day. It was placed in another room - his solution? Pay him a few dollars more to use that desk. We came to an agreement where I would pay a little more so that I could use some of his groceries like salts, spices, milk for tea, etc. At the end of my stay, he wanted me to pay him extra for milk again. I barely used a liter of milk, but he needed to pay that extra 6$ for the tea. I had to fight him not to charge me extra. This man owned two houses in Brampton (which go over $1 million each) and owned two really nice cars, but even then he needed extra money for tea. Other stuff included asking me to turn off the lights in my room when using the bathroom.
This business culture is very Indian if I dare say it. You will see it in cities like B'lore or hyderabad. We have a saying "Ungli Pakad ke Haath Pakadna". If you tell them that you work for Microsoft, they will ask a different rate for houses. Autowallas will ask a different rates and will never agree with meter. Hospitals will keep you longer if they know you have insurance. Its same what these folks were doing. This is the reason I go for hotels and hostels which are professionally providing these services and are regulated.

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
WTF is wrong with these greedy landlords...!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Why do these tenants just keep on bending over? Have they never heard of the Landlord & Tenant Board (or its equivalent in BC)?

It's somewhat ammusing (and weird, at the same time) how a lot of these people never got taken advantage of back in the homeland but get taken for a ride in the new country. Why do so many leave their street smarts at the airport back home?

Meanwhile, actual Canadians who know about the legislation favoring tenants:

Last edited:
Reactions: RSub

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hello, I have few questions :) Any help would be great here.

A) Do we need to upload education documents for education activity in Personal History Section? or just the one I claimed in EE profile?

B) For Proof of Funds, I have funds across multiple accounts. Some deposits are very recent, for example in Account A: I have around 10K of wages deposited in past 5 weeks and for Account B I had average balance of around 10K and recently deposited another 10K from my business account. Is that okay?

C) My spouse also have 10k in Indian account to herself, for the proof that funds are available to me, is a signed letter is sufficient? or need it Notary etc?
For (a), if it is only in your Personal History, no need to show any documents for it.
For (b), I'm not too sure, so I hope others chip in.
For (c), my husband just wrote a letter and signed it. We had more than enough in our individual accounts and we provided the statements, but the main PoF that we used was from his providence fund account which was in his name only.

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
there's one thing that i found interesting in this link. The projected backlog for work permits is expected to increase from about 30% now to 60% by nov'22 before it will start gradually falling down. Is this something related to the new program that is in the works for TR to PR?
No idea.

Reactions: AlmostThere2

ImpatientAlligator

Sep 7, 2021
In order to describe what I saw in Brampton to you, I would have to introduce you to the concept of Yuga in Hindu Mythology.

Now, I am what you call a non-religious person. But once I stayed in Brampton, I am convinced that Brampton is Kali Yuga personified.

Just to describe Kali Yuga to you:

Before I left my country for a "brief" period, I didn't really understand exactly what Indian culture was. Compared to the west, there is an extra level of friendliness involved in day-to-day dealings with people.

Have some guest show up at your door? Invite them into your home for tea. Someone shows up at your door in the evening? Offer them dinner. You have a medical emergency? The whole of the neighborhood will come together to help you in your time of need. Going to a city where your extended family lives? You will probably be invited to stay with them instead of staying in a hotel. If you say no, they might even be offended. Stuck in an unknown place? Ask someone for directions and they will take you to that place instead of just telling you the directions.

You get the point. In my culture, there is an obligation to go above and beyond to help someone out. There is a sense of community wherever you go. I am not well-traveled but I am willing to say that this is more of an East vs West thing. I have heard similar things in neighboring countries as well. That's not to say there is no deceit involved. Someone might try to cheat you by displaying the same level of friendliness. But it is unusual if not the norm.

In Canada (or rather the west) life is about individualism. If you tell someone about your troubles, a person is more likely to just express concern for your problem by saying something like "Oh no! That's terrible! I hope you find a solution to your problem!" There is no obligation to go above and beyond to help someone out. And at the exact same time, people will come across to you as extremely friendly. Even when people say no, they make sure that there will be no hostility between you and them. People say a lot of rhetorical things to one another upon greeting one another, which seemed rather superficial to me.

Here is what troubled me about Brampton. The Indians, over there, in order to assimilate into the "Canadian" culture lose or forget that friendliness expected when dealing with people. But at the same time, they don't let go of the bad aspects of Indian culture. For ex. being nosy, being extremely cheap and selfish, cutting corners, taking shortcuts in dubious ways etc. No one really learns how to be courteous like Canadians and all they are left with are just the bad aspects of our culture. That makes them terrible people deal with it. In fact, I would go so far as to describe them as not Indians, but as a whole new breed of people between Canadians and Indians.

Here is what I saw in Brampton:

1. The Indians over there don't talk to one another. The need to mingle, even with your neighbors which is pretty common in India, is all gone. Everyone just minds their business, which sounds like a good thing but seems strange for someone like me. When you see someone speaking your tongue, you expect some Indianness out of them, which unfortunately is missing.

3. My relatives, who I was on really good terms back in my city, refused to invite me over to their place. At first, they said it is because of Corona, so you should maybe quarantine (and this was in July this year) for a few days before you come to see us. They reluctantly eventually invited me before I was leave for other cities, but treated me like a complete outsider. No warmth or friendliness at all. They also told me stuff like "My son never looks at the price of anything! He just buys whatever he likes!" to imply that I was cheap. Only after they learned that I will be traveling throughout Canada in the peak of summer (read: top dollar for flights and hotels) did they calm down and treated me more normally.

4. In order to travel between satellite cities of Toronto on weekends (because no public transport on weekends between them, go figure), I used a ride-sharing app. The Indian drivers would always ask for more money than agreed upon after I sat in their cars. Without fail. One even tried to charge me 100$ (the agreed-upon price was 20$) because other people on the ride didn't show up so now I should make up for it, otherwise he can't afford to go.

Now before you say "Duh! East is east and west is west. Of course, there are cultural differences." As an Indian, it feels very strange to go through these experiences with your own people. It feels like you woke up one day, and everyone around is just slightly more evil now. You ask yourself why to put yourself through a place like this. Why not deal with westerners, where everyone at least seems friendly on the surface, even if it's superficial.

The Indians outside of Brampton were cool. Every time I sat in a cab with an Indian driver, they would tell me their stories about how they, too, got cheated somehow by another Indian in the beginning. Everyone advised me to stay away from Brampton, at least for the initial period. They told me to only move there once I am more settled down and understand that place and its quirks.

Edit:
I did find some traces of Indian hospitality, which I forgot to mention above:

1. When I went to the bank to open the bank account, I found out that the money I transferred beforehand to an account was blocked for some reason. The branch that I visited couldn't remove the hold even after trying everything. The (Indian) lady who opened the bank account for me, kept in touch with me for three days after that incident, calling me every day and asking me if I was able to resolve my issue and how I was doing. She even offered me all kinds of good advice about various things on starting life from scratch over here. At first, I thought it was a marketing gimmick, but it turned she was just extra nice.

2. I was catching a bus between two cities from Brampton. Upon reaching my bus terminal, I mentioned my destination to my cab driver, he told me I selected the wrong bus terminal. The actual bus terminal was 4km away. He canceled his upcoming ride and took me to the right bus stop without charging me more.
Normally, when I search for a suburb/locality on YouTube, it'll be full of real estate brokers or lifestyle bloggers or happening events. For Brampton, it's like the Canadian version of Florida Man.

ImpatientAlligator

Sep 7, 2021
Yeah. I sent them webform and a week later was able to connect to an agent via call and got my address updated. I got response to my webform a month later. So, I believe calling them is the fastest way to make any updates.
Call them to confirm their mistake. Decided that collecting it from the lawyer is the best solution considering how the IRCC operates.

Reactions: Rkb94 and RSub

ilikesnow

Apr 19, 2022
Sydney
NOC Code......
B. The 10k from wages looks good, but the account history is not. From 20k to zero to 10k, its a bit too much. What account did you show as POF when you received the nomination from Alberta or they didn't ask for it ?

For second account, as I told you, if I am the officer, I would really ask some more questions regarding that 10k. When you transfered that money from the business account, what was the reason? Personal use is no valid reason because as in any business you would need to declare spendings, and based on them pay tax accordingly, so until you pay the taxes on that money its technically a loan.

I don't know how they check them at the IRCC, but I sure as hell dig deeper onto them than to give you a pass on those funds.

C. The affidavit is just a declaration, but if you include your name in the spouse's account, as in using the account with full privilege, you can get a statement from the bank that "Account X in the name of Ms. XX, has full privilege user even the husband YX or such". That would be considered as prove.

Also, I can see the statements I can get from bank do not have the date account was opened neither anywhere it says the average balance! That can be issue? given balance is displayed next to all transactions for past 6 months.

You should get a statement from the bank stating the date your account was opened, amount it has currently in it and if the user has any current outstanding debt witht he bank. This is different than "bank statement" and its mandatory to get it from the bank to confirm that the money is yours, free of debt and to be used immidiately.
B. I just spoke to my accountant and he said we can provide proof for big transactions and transfer from business accounts if needed. I need to show around 17K POF and my wages account should have 13K next week. The second account have 10K from long time and a 10k deposit a month back. My Indian joint account have roughly 5000 and my spouse have 10k. I think even if the case officer have issues with a particular large deposit, rest of accounts should be sufficient to cover the 17k I need to show.

C. Including my name in account is not possible, only possible thing is to open a new account and transfer money to it. Few people who have used spouse funds in past have said a letter signed by spouse is sufficient.

Bank is happy to provide me a letter that ticks everything but they have no system to generate average balance thing, so I'll attach a LOE and attach past 6 months statement alongside other signed letters.

Reactions: AlmostThere2

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
These things tend to be personal choices. For me, I like if my neighbours etc know us but are not too interested in us.
+1 to this. I tend to avoid "over friendly" people simply because in my experience people like that don't have a sense of boundaries and tend to ask questions on personal level which are not commensurate with the level of relationship. So, if on a first 1-2 meeting I find someone asking too many personal level details or make comments on my life choices I make sure to avoid them in future. Unfortunately, Indian folks have no sense of boundaries and they think personal questions are okay to ask like how much you make? Where do you work and what is your designation (these questions are meant to judge your economic status) Why are you not married? Or if you are married why don't you have kids? And someone doesn't want kids .. questions like how can you not want kids etc. etc.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
C. Including my name in account is not possible, only possible thing is to open a new account and transfer money to it.
No Need

Few people who have used spouse funds in past have said a letter signed by spouse is sufficient.
This is all you need.

Bank is happy to provide me a letter that ticks everything but they have no system to generate average balance thing, so I'll attach a LOE and attach past 6 months statement alongside other signed letters.
6 months statement is all you need. There is no need for a LOE but if it makes you sleep better at night and worry less do that. Else, honestly no one even reads those things. I have read enough GCMS notes to know that LOEs are not as useful as people think they are.