USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
I am coming to your province :D

I am planning to land in 4-5 months so the plans could change but for now, Saskatoon is the plan.

My stress of whether or not I will get the PR has been replaced by "Holy shit. It's actually happening. I have so many things to plan and to do!"

But the stress of moving/planning is nowhere near the stress of the PR wait. I can't wait to finally land and get that anti-climax feeling that you are talking about. Here's hoping the situation at Service Canada will be resolved by the time I land. I read their reviews on Google and it doesn't seem promising though.

Although nothing is set in concrete, I have been looking into working as an IT contractor in Canada. It seems like something that will suit my lifestyle more.

I spent all day yesterday finding the details of sending the passport for stamping. It still feels a little surreal.

I have been told the stress will last for a year even after moving. Hopefully, after that things will fall into place.
Snow could be bad but I have and have been surviving harsh winters for the last 6 years. Snow could get you depressed if you are new to living in those conditions. Just keep yourself engaged with something. Mingle with local community. If you are coming as a couple, definitely make more friends.
On getting a job in IT, reach out to VanHack, Randstad, and many other IT recruiters in Canada and let them know you have a PR. Don't fall into the hands of desi consultancy because they will ruin your life.

You will do great. Have fun. Welcome to North America-The land of dreamers.

D

Deleted member 994371

Snow could be bad but I have and have been surviving harsh winters for the last 6 years. Snow could get you depressed if you are new to living in those conditions. Just keep yourself engaged with something. Mingle with local community. If you are coming as a couple, definitely make more friends.
On getting a job in IT, reach out to VanHack, Randstad, and many other IT recruiters in Canada and let them know you have a PR. Don't fall into the hands of desi consultancy because they will ruin your life.

You will do great. Have fun. Welcome to North America-The land of dreamers.
Thank you for the suggestions. I will google for more of them recruiters but if you know more of them, please do let me know.

Don't fall into the hands of desi consultancy because they will ruin your life.
This is the exact scenario I want to avoid.

Reactions: RSub

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
Thank you for the suggestions. I will google for more of them recruiters but if you know more of them, please do let me know.

This is the exact scenario I want to avoid.
I will. I will join your WhatsApp group soon. We all can chat and help each other.

cpr2019

Nov 10, 2019
Hi guys...i have a question regarding soft landing...do you need to maintain minimum deposit of around 3000 to 5000 CAD ..i heard if you dont maintain then you ll be charged 30 CAD per month...any thoughts on this...TIA

mohit2904

May 4, 2022
Hi guys, i need some help, my biometrics was done on 31st March. Need to know what will be timelines for the next process. Can someone let us know timelines?

Last edited:

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Is he working as a contractor too?

I have been told to register a business in my name and find work that way. I have also been told to get a high-level AWS certification that should help to find work over there, which isn't easy but worth it in my field.
They are all about certifications here so definitely do as many as you can (relevant ones of course). AWS and TOGAF are high on the list. He is not a contractor, though we are also looking into the option of registering our own business as well (that's what we've done for the past 15 years or so as IT consultants) but just waiting to understand the terrain first especially the things like tax implications etc...

OneStepAtATime

Star Member
Jun 23, 2021
SEA
Category........
FSW
It's my turn guys.

Finally :)

My almost 2 years of agony is over.

Thank you to each and every one of you who has been part of this thread, especially during the lull period where there was no "ray of hope". I loved waking up and checking this thread for the discussions.

@tapperb @Hokage @Rkb94 @ImpatientAlligator @dankboi @PRANIT01 @RSub @wonderbly @ImpatientKangaroo @GandiBaat @dxdroid (yes, you too) @Pasha1 @OneStepAtATime @AbsoluteZero (ty for your advice for the medicals) @Vidnomenon @WPGBound

.....I am probably forgetting quite a few names but thank you to everyone who was part of this journey.

Do join the Whatsapp and Telegram FSW Worldwide groups in my signature if you'd like to keep in touch.

You were right, mate <3
Congrats! Feels like I just watched you step through a portal. Hope to see you on the other side.

hamhk202

Star Member
Apr 29, 2018
Yes, your letters must be recent if you are still working with the employer.
No currently I work as self employed, so do you think there is no need to refresh my previous job reference letter( full time 3 years)? And about my current job should I explain what am I doing now, because I will not claim points for this job.

dxdroid

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2021
They are all about certifications here so definitely do as many as you can (relevant ones of course). AWS and TOGAF are high on the list. He is not a contractor, though we are also looking into the option of registering our own business as well (that's what we've done for the past 15 years or so as IT consultants) but just waiting to understand the terrain first especially the things like tax implications etc...
I agree with that.

alexross

Jan 11, 2018
Hi guys...i have a question regarding soft landing...do you need to maintain minimum deposit of around 3000 to 5000 CAD ..i heard if you dont maintain then you ll be charged 30 CAD per month...any thoughts on this...TIA
Most of the big banks need you to maintain a balance of few thousands to avoid the monthly fee. But cheap accounts (with less features and lower number of free debits per month) are available at most big banks for around $4 per month. You do have some cheaper banks that have accounts where you don't have to maintain a minimum balance and they also don't charge any monthly fee like Tangerine bank. Tangerine bank is the low cost subsidiary of Scotiabank, they cut cost by not maintaining any physical branches. Everything is online, if you want to physically walkin, they do have a few contact centers.

cpr2019

Nov 10, 2019
It's my turn guys.

Finally :)

My almost 2 years of agony is over.

Thank you to each and every one of you who has been part of this thread, especially during the lull period where there was no "ray of hope". I loved waking up and checking this thread for the discussions.

@tapperb @Hokage @Rkb94 @ImpatientAlligator @dankboi @PRANIT01 @RSub @wonderbly @ImpatientKangaroo @GandiBaat @dxdroid (yes, you too) @Pasha1 @OneStepAtATime @AbsoluteZero (ty for your advice for the medicals) @Vidnomenon @WPGBound

.....I am probably forgetting quite a few names but thank you to everyone who was part of this journey.

Do join the Whatsapp and Telegram FSW Worldwide groups in my signature if you'd like to keep in touch.

You were right, mate <3
Pls provide the link for the whatsapp and telegram group

Reactions: Maybe.Moving

cpr2019

Nov 10, 2019
Most of the big banks need you to maintain a balance of few thousands to avoid the monthly fee. But cheap accounts (with less features and lower number of free debits per month) are available at most big banks for around $4 per month. You do have some cheaper banks that have accounts where you don't have to maintain a minimum balance and they also don't charge any monthly fee like Tangerine bank. Tangerine bank is the low cost subsidiary of Scotiabank, they cut cost by not maintaining any physical branches. Everything is online, if you want to physically walkin, they do have a few contact centers.
Thanks. I get conflicting info regarding this. A friend said that they dont make any deductions in the first year even if you dont maintain a monthly balance. Not going to hard land so no point in maintaining a minimum balance of few thousands..

Reactions: alexross