+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

D

Deleted member 1050918

I once saw a YouTube video about "pick-up artists". These are guys who stop and chat up random girls on the street and try to get their numbers. There was this obviously Indian guy (with strong accent and all) who was trying to pick-up white girls by introducing himself as Canadian/from Canada. You can probably guess how it went. It was hilarious, cringey, and above all quite pathetic. I'm reminded of this video whenever I see guys here referring to Canada as "my country".
I think I saw that video too. Not to strike a weird conversation here but it is universally accepted that "your country" is the one where you're born and raised. And if you're not raised in the country you were born then people will know you by the country where you were raised.

Reactions: KojiGold

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
I think I saw that video too. Not to strike a weird conversation here but it is universally accepted that "your country" is the one where you're born and raised. And if you're not raised in the country you were born then people will know you by the country where you were raised.
Indeed! I will always be Indian, the real one. Not that I would want it any other way.

D

Deleted member 1050918

Indeed! I will always be Indian, the real one. Not that I would want it any other way.
When I was on a study permit, I'd sit in a bar and have folk asking me where I'm from to start a conversation. Should I go "hey man I'm from Canada" next time when I get a PR on top of my study permit? lol

Jokes aside, you sense the "I notice that you are not Canadian, nor do I think that you were born in Canada. Which country are you from?" undertone when the casual "so where are you from?" comes from a stranger. It's all natural and perfectly normal. Calling yourself Canadian while being born and raised in another country is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lc4life

Psyoptica

Champion Member
Feb 20, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-04-2020
When I was on a study permit, I'd sit in a bar and have folk asking me where I'm from to start a conversation. Should I go "hey man I'm from Canada" next time when I get a PR on top of my study permit? lol

Jokes aside, you sense the "I notice that you are not Canadian, nor do I think that you were born in Canada. Which country are you from?" undertone when the casual "so where are you from?" comes from a stranger. It's all natural and perfectly normal. Calling yourself Canadian while being born and raised in another country is not.
Yeah exactly. I have met people, typically Indians, residing in US and Canada trying to pass off as Americans but it's pretty obvious they are not. If I ever get the citizenship and someone asked me where I was from, I wouldn't feel any shame saying that I'm from my native country but now living in Canada.

muspal

Jun 1, 2019
Medicals expired on the 22nd. Status changed to you do not need a medical. I hope they get renewed, really don't want to go through the hassle of giving them again.

Reactions: dankboi

PRANIT01

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2021
Yeah exactly. I have met people, typically Indians, residing in US and Canada trying to pass off as Americans but it's pretty obvious they are not. If I ever get the citizenship and someone asked me where I was from, I wouldn't feel any shame saying that I'm from my native country but now living in Canada.
This is where it gets tricky. I know some Americans ( which includes Indian, Mexican, El Salvadorians.....) who made their life in US ,they worked so hard for that passport. Us has given them everything in their life so they like to address themselves as an American than an Indian or Mexican or what ever.
Now there is another case which I have seen especially among Indian they like to brag that they are an American /Canadian /...I have seen Indians trying to be American by imitating accents,watching baseball which they don't even know what it is.
The 3rd scenario is related to the 1st one I know only about India so not commenting on others. I assume it is a part of cultural integration. I was almost a vegetarian before coming to US now I eat ham,beef,fish what not,I used to be religious now I am not .So people change and no one chose to be born in their home land but they chose these nations.There is no shame in being an indian or any other nationality because it was not anyone's choice.

Personally, here I might be wrong from others perspective if a country is letting you in ,giving a place to live allow you to enjoy all the benifits of that nation (like powerful passport, free education, rights to start a business, free health care.....care.....-I know there are flaws in all of this, but still it is better that where you are born) and you refuse to even acknowledge as a part them I don't think that is very cool .But showing off in FB group that is BS
It is a matter of perspective

Last edited:

Psyoptica

Champion Member
Feb 20, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-04-2020
This is where it gets tricky. I know some Americans ( which includes Indian, Mexican, El Salvadorians.....) who made their life in US ,they worked so hard for that passport. Us has given them everything in their life so they like to address themselves as an American than an Indian or Mexican or what ever.
Now there is another case which I have seen especially among Indian they like to brag that they are an American /Canadian /...I have seen Indians trying to be American by imitating accents,watching baseball which they don't even know what it is.
The 3rd scenario is related to the 1st one I know only about India so not commenting on others. I assume it is a part of cultural integration. I was almost a vegetarian before coming to US now I eat ham,beef,fish what not,I used to be religious now I am not .So people change and no one chose to be born in their home land but they chose these nations.

Personally, here I might be wrong from others perspective if a country is letting you in ,giving a place to live allow you to enjoy all the benifits of that nation (like powerful passport, free education, rights to start a business, free health care.....care.....-I know there are flaws in all of this, but still it is better that where you are born) and you refuse to even acknowledge as a part them I don't think that is very cool .But showing off in FB group that is BS .
I understand what you are saying and I don't see it as a big deal if someone wants to identify themselves with their nationality but it will confuse any foreigner who has a different image of an "American" in his mind if someone said "I'm an American" in a thick Indian accent.

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW
The 3rd scenario is related to the 1st one I know only about India so not commenting on others. I assume it is a part of cultural integration. I was almost a vegetarian before coming to US now I eat ham,beef,fish what not,I used to be religious now I am not .So people change and no one chose to be born in their home land but they chose these nations.There is no shame in being an indian or any other nationality because it was not anyone's choice.

Personally, here I might be wrong from others perspective if a country is letting you in ,giving a place to live allow you to enjoy all the benifits of that nation (like powerful passport, free education, rights to start a business, free health care.....care.....-I know there are flaws in all of this, but still it is better that where you are born) and you refuse to even acknowledge as a part them I don't think that is very cool .But showing off in FB group that is BS
I understand what you are saying and I don't see it as a big deal if someone wants to identify themselves with their nationality but it will confuse any foreigner who has a different image of an "American" in his mind if someone said "I'm an American" in a thick Indian accent.

PRANIT01

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2021
Lol I have experienced that.