+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

D

Deleted member 1050918

Canada has a population of 38.2 m- about 1/10th the US. It still has the same (if not higher especially in terms of healthcare) living standards as the US. End of the day, they are making enough money with a fraction of the same resources as the States. This means they are doing something right. Population to job ratio has to be fine. Every country has its moneymakers- natural resources and tech may be the strongest in Canada.
Sweden: 10.4 mil https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden
Switzerland: 8.5 mil https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland
Netherlands: 17.6 mil https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands

These countries have 1/4th - 1/3rd of Canada's population but have a far better STEM job market than Canada, with usually higher pay and purchasing power. My point is you're comparing apples to oranges.

"Fraction of the same resources as the states" are you an outlander? Looks like you know very little about Canada's natural resources: https://www.investopedia.com/investing/worlds-top-oil-producers/ From the article:

Canada holds the fourth spot among the world’s leading oil producers, with an average production of 5.26 million b/d in 2020, accounting for 6% of global production.2 According to the EIA International Energy Outlook 2019, Canada’s production could double by 2050, rising 123%, topping growth from any of the other non-OPEC countries. This increase is expected to come primarily from oil sands production.

"This means they are doing something right": As I explained, what Canada is doing is digging out what's beneath the ground and selling. Canada doesn't produce any technology, but consumes it. What Canada's STEM job market lacks has nothing to do with how nationals of some foreign country has difficulties obtaining proper training etc. We're talking numbers here and Canada lacks in those numbers.

It surprises me how you guys take a very general discussion that says "STEM job market lacks in Canada" and approach it with laughably focused and narrow statements like "my friend is an engineer and he got a job" or "I am Indian I had to learn this and this". The issue Canada's STEM job market has goes beyond your employed or unemployed engineer friends or what country you came from and had to learn what. Personally, my BSc degree has ABET accreditation and I'm about to get my PhD from a Canadian university that's always in top 3, I also have years of direct industry experience gained at some big global brands everybody knows. So when I say what we see in Canada is not an employability issue but an issue with the job market itself, I think I'm not horribly wrong about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

novascotia27

Jan 4, 2016
You are required to submit a signed letter to both the province and IRCC during the application process about your intention to reside in the nominated province, that should have some meaning no?
There are several concepts that need to be addressed here:

1) The federal government and the provinces share jurisdiction over immigration, meaning that each province have the ability to bring in immigrants based on their labour market needs. But once you become a PR or Citizen, you gain full rights and responsibilities in this country to leave and work anywhere. It’s entrenched in our constitution as a fundamental right.

2) If you are a foreign national (not a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident) inside or outside Canada, you do not have the same legal rights, protections and obligations as Canadian Citizens or PRs have… until then, IRCC can ask you to sign anything they want to deter you from using a PNP nomination as a back door to other provinces.. That is exactly what The letter of intent that you sign does in your application. But the reality is completely different once you are granted permanent residency at the port of entry.

3) Misrepresentation has a much more deeper meaning than just signing off a letter of intend to reside in one Province. As a matter of fact, that’s what is called an “Intend”, a plan, or purpose. It’s not a contract because it does not outline that you can be stripped of your PR if you do not comply, this is simply against the Charter of Rights and Freedom.

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020

These countries have 1/4th - 1/3rd of Canada's population but have a far better STEM job market than Canada, with usually higher pay and purchasing power. My point is you're comparing apples to oranges.

"Fraction of the same resources as the states" are you an outlander? Looks like you know very little about Canada's natural resources: https://www.investopedia.com/investing/worlds-top-oil-producers/ From the article:

Canada holds the fourth spot among the world’s leading oil producers, with an average production of 5.26 million b/d in 2020, accounting for 6% of global production.2 According to the EIA International Energy Outlook 2019, Canada’s production could double by 2050, rising 123%, topping growth from any of the other non-OPEC countries. This increase is expected to come primarily from oil sands production.

"This means they are doing something right": As I explained, what Canada is doing is digging out what's beneath the ground and selling. Canada doesn't produce any technology, but consumes it. What Canada's STEM job market lacks has nothing to do with how nationals of some foreign country has difficulties obtaining proper training etc. We're talking numbers here and Canada lacks in those numbers.

It surprises me how you guys take a very general discussion that says "STEM job market lacks in Canada" and approach it with laughably focused and narrow statements like "my friend is an engineer and he got a job" or "I am Indian I had to learn this and this". The issue Canada's STEM job market has goes beyond your employed or unemployed engineer friends or what country you came from and had to learn what. Personally, my BSc degree has ABET accreditation and I'm about to get my PhD from a Canadian university that's always in top 3, I also have years of direct industry experience gained at some big global brands everybody knows. So when I say what we see in Canada is not an employability issue but an issue with the job market itself, I think I'm not horribly wrong about that.
Sorry, but I just have to ask, when you say "technology" what do you mean by that? What constitutes as a "technology" produced by a country? And what quantifiable merits or indicators, are you looking when you say "Canada doesn't produce technology"?

Reactions: ita_drgen

novascotia27

Jan 4, 2016
There's some sus backstory to this which the OP is hiding.
If i am a nominated person, ethically I'd stay in the province and I'll report to IRCC when moving, only when I reach the point of becoming homeless because of lack of work opportunities or when the weather becomes too shitty to stay. Else i won't cause i signed a letter of intent and it's a matter of trust, The province gave me 600 points.
Good for you if you find a good life and employment in the province that nominated you. But trust me, once you are in Canada, you are a lot more mobile that you think you were. Employers call you from anywhere to offer you a job if you are a good match, so it is very much likely that you can come across a better employment opportunity sooner than you anticipated.

D

Deleted member 1050918

Sorry, but I just have to ask, when you say "technology" what do you mean by that? What constitutes as a "technology" produced by a country? And what quantifiable merits or indicators, are you looking when you say "Canada doesn't produce technology"?
What I refer to as the technology Canada doesn't produce but consume is the development, design, mass-scale production and export of the most related machinery, hardware, and software used in industrial operations. The most of tech Canada produces is civil and daily software, the likes of Microsoft, Facebook, Twitter etc. But you'll find only a few companies in Canada who develop and produce production machines (pumps turbines compressors etc), manufacturing machines, land and railroad vehicles, ships, aerospace structures, medical tools and machines etc. Canada imports these technologies for their oil & gas, mining, construction operations. And as you can see this is just the engineering field "E". The "S" and "M" of STEM, science and mathematics, are doing far worse. Canada has like 4-5 decent research universities where we can argue "science" is produced but that's it. "T" is good in Canada and compsci/IT/software fellas are quite lucky but that's it.

Last edited by a moderator:

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW
Good for you if you find a good life and employment in the province that nominated you. But trust me, once you are in Canada, you are a lot more mobile that you think you were. Employers call you from anywhere to offer you a job if you are a good match, so it is very much likely that you can come across a better employment opportunity sooner than you anticipated.
As I don't belong to IT, obviously the ease of getting a job doesn't help me.
i should move to agriculture or into farming. uhmmm

novascotia27

Jan 4, 2016
Metro calgary is essential one city and two counties (and a half?). Metro Vancouver is multiple cities including Burnaby, Surrey and what not. Thankfully Calgary Metro has more land and that keeps prices low. Not to mention, by any standard Calgary cann't be a small city. There are 25 odd cities in entire North America with population more than 1 million, needless to say Calgary is one of them.

Welcome back brother!
I’m from Calgary… we call it Greater Calgary Area or GCA; and includes the City of Calgary and City of Airdrie. Current population is 1.6 million. We are the fastest growing city in Canada. The City of Calgary is SO big it can easily take you an hour driving to get from NW to SW, on highway!

Calgary Metropolitan Region or Calgary Region involves the counties such as Foothills County, Rocky View County and some parts of Wheatland County. These counties have smaller cities or townships that surround the City of Calgary.

• Love
Reactions: aikodad
D

Deleted member 1006777

Chin up and Cheer up folks! Someone got a response from their MP that IRCC is supposedly returning to full capacity from October 26. If it is true, then it is likely we will see world-wide draws in first week of jan if not earlier.

Their application was delayed like hell so they raised an email to their MP.
I'd be skeptical without some sort of proof, but if this is true, I'd imagine backlogs can potentially be cleared this year. Which can indicate a return to all program draws next year.

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
What I refer to as the technology Canada doesn't produce but consume is the development, design, mass-scale production and export of the most related machinery, hardware, and software used in industrial operations. The most of tech Canada produces is civil and daily software, the likes of Microsoft, Facebook, Twitter etc. But you'll find only a few companies in Canada who develop and produce production machines (pumps turbines compressors etc), manufacturing machines, land and railroad vehicles, ships, aerospace structures, medical tools and machines etc. Canada imports these technologies for their oil & gas, mining, construction operations. And as you can see this is just the engineering field. The "S" and "M" of STEM, science and mathematics, are doing far worse. Canada has like 4-5 decent research universities where we can argue "science" is produced but that's it. "T" is good in Canada and compsci/IT/software fellas are quite lucky but that's it.
Thanks for the clarification. I must add something though, in the development, design, mass-scale production and export. The development, and design part is definitely present in Canada, and is strong one at that. One proof of this is Canada is home to several R&D centers from multinational companies, like AMD, Qualcomm, Intel, Pfizer, etc. now Canada is definitely NOT the "leader" since those companies I mentioned are headquartered in a different country in this case the USA. But it goes without saying that Canada contributed to the development of the products exported by these companies.

If you are familiar with PC parts, AMD's GPU R&D division is headquartered in Markham, Ontario and they are the primary engineers who developed the AMD Radeon family of devices, of course marketing, mass-production and exports are owned by the US, but the R&D center for this particular product remains in Canada.

One comment on the "engineering" field, the fields that you highlighted focuses only on a few aspects of engineering likely mechanical and electrical engineering. Some fields of engineering such as communications engineering, microelectronics engineering, and software engineering would not fall into the criteria you established. Yet those other fields are present and prevalent in the Canadian labor market.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
But you'll find only a few companies in Canada who develop and produce production machines (pumps turbines compressors etc), manufacturing machines, land and railroad vehicles, ships, aerospace structures, medical tools and machines etc.
*Ahem* let me introduce you to :

1. Bombadier, Inc : The fine makers of aircrafts since 1942. They make/used to make snowmobiles, high speed railways, too.
2. Atomic Energy of Canada Limited : The fine makers of pressurised heavy-water reactor called CANDU. My own nation owes its nuclear infrastructure to early sale of this fine reactor in 60s or 70s.
3. Medical technology : From what I gather Canada imports most of its medical technology devices and equipments.
4. There is a decent sized ship building and repair industry in BC.

Rish92

Jan 22, 2021
Mumbai
Category........
FSW

Its funny how similar Canada and Australia are in terms of economy. Both solely rely on extraction of raw natural resources and exporting it overseas to stay afloat as part of developed countries. These countries don’t even have the capability to process their raw resources.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1050918

*Ahem* let me introduce you to :

1. Bombadier, Inc : The fine makers of aircrafts since 1942. They make/used to make snowmobiles, high speed railways, too.
2. Atomic Energy of Canada Limited : The fine makers of pressurised heavy-water reactor called CANDU. My own nation owes its nuclear infrastructure to early sale of this fine reactor in 60s or 70s.
3. Medical technology : From what I gather Canada imports most of its medical technology devices and equipments.
4. There is a decent sized ship building and repair industry in BC.
No need for introductions, I have friends working at Bombardier and Pratt&Whitney so I'm aware. By the way, most of their operations are in QC, which really isn't Canada (lol).

What I'm saying is not Canada doesn't have any global operations. To give you an example, if there is 1 unit of global operations and corps in Canada providing a proportional number of jobs per month or year, in my third-world country (x2 the population in Canada) there are probably 3 or 4 units of global operations and corps providing 3-4 times the jobs if not more. And big corps aren't the only benchmark; there are many mid or small sized heavy industry tech companies here and in EU. In Canada you'll only find startups employing 10 - 50 people with a CEO younger than 30.

When you compare Canada to Sweden or Netherlands, how Canada lacks is even more obvious because despite having a bigger population, Canada's job market in STEM is far behind many European countries some of which I named.

Thanks for the clarification. I must add something though, in the development, design, mass-scale production and export. The development, and design part is definitely present in Canada, and is strong one at that. One proof of this is Canada is home to several R&D centers from multinational companies, like AMD, Qualcomm, Intel, Pfizer, etc. now Canada is definitely NOT the "leader" since those companies I mentioned are headquartered in a different country in this case the USA. But it goes without saying that Canada contributed to the development of the products exported by these companies.

If you are familiar with PC parts, AMD's GPU R&D division is headquartered in Markham, Ontario and they are the primary engineers who developed the AMD Radeon family of devices, of course marketing, mass-production and exports are owned by the US, but the R&D center for this particular product remains in Canada.

One comment on the "engineering" field, the fields that you highlighted focuses only on a few aspects of engineering likely mechanical and electrical engineering. Some fields of engineering such as communications engineering, microelectronics engineering, and software engineering would not fall into the criteria you established. Yet those other fields are present and prevalent in the Canadian labor market.
Yes some big names in semiconductor have moved some of their operations to Canada, which is great. But again, as I explained above, problem is Canada doesn't have enough number of these big names and their operations, jobs, plants etc.

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
Yes some big names in semiconductor have moved some of their operations to Canada, which is great. But again, as I explained above, problem is Canada doesn't have enough number of these big names and their operations, jobs, plants etc.
I must ask though from an economic standpoint, why would you want to have the operations and plants in Canada? Typical semiconductors plants are operated at a ratio of 1:10 to 1:25, 1 engineer and 10-25 technicians / operators manning the machines. These "techs" and "operators" normally only have vocational courses or high school degrees, since they don't normally need a college degree to do what they need to do. If an engineer in this field would pursue an advanced degree it's usually in less technical areas like MS management, optimization, at least with what I have observed.

In contrast, R&D centers, have populations entirely made up of engineers, with only a handful of techs to support manual labor stuff. R&D folks needs a bare minimum of BS degree, and if they pursue advance degrees it's usually a technical degree like MS engineering.

Anyway going back, I think what Canada has to do is to startup more R&D, or attract the R&D centers from other areas like Silicon Valley into it's place. I'd rather see Apple opening up an Apple Campus that develops next generation HW/SW in Canada, than a manufacturing plant for Mac/iPhones. They can keep that in China, or Texas, or wherever they're doing it right now.

Reactions: OneStepAtATime

GaryChapman VP

Mar 24, 2020
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
PR will also be cancelled I think.
Damn, that’s so unfortunate. But what about the clause that allows you to move to a different province if you’ve found a job there and you prove you’ve made every reasonable effort to find a job in the nominating province but couldn’t?

Man I thought that would be my bailout if in case I couldn’t find a job in Ontario. But seems like this will be a risk I’m not willing to take.