+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

ImpatientDragon

Feb 23, 2022
@GandiBaat @iSaidGoodDay @wonderbly

Need some advice for a friend.
He's inside Canada on a study permit which he got showing his Bachelors degree. His consultancy advised (and he listened) to hide his MBA in his study visa application. Visa was approved, he got here and just finished his course.

Now its time to apply for PR. He has his PG Diploma from Canada, WES for his BBA degree and CES for his MBA which has Masters evaluation.

Anybody know any cases like this one? In which a candidate hid their masters degree for study visa application but attached it for the PR application?

Btw, he already got his degree certs while the time of study visa application, there was no good reason for hiding it except the consultants advise. There is no other reason to explain this act.

Scouring this forum for similar applicants, so far haven't found anybody but this situation is quite common from what I have heard.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Hiding is not good.

cz999

Feb 1, 2020
NOC Code......

He's inside Canada on a study permit which he got showing his Bachelors degree. His consultancy advised (and he listened) to hide his MBA in his study visa application. Visa was approved, he got here and just finished his course.

Now its time to apply for PR. He has his PG Diploma from Canada, WES for his BBA degree and CES for his MBA which has Masters evaluation.

Anybody know any cases like this one? In which a candidate hid their masters degree for study visa application but attached it for the PR application?

Btw, he already got his degree certs while the time of study visa application, there was no good reason for hiding it except the consultants advise. There is no other reason to explain this act.

Scouring this forum for similar applicants, so far haven't found anybody but this situation is quite common from what I have heard.
Forward looking, all he can do is to attach the masters and see what Ircc says. They may ask bout it they may not, but not much he can do now

Sularbaba

Star Member
Feb 8, 2023
Eligibility has started for spouse but hasn’t started for the main applicant. Is this a mistake please? Both background checks are in process tho

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022

As-salamu alaikum brother!

This is somewhat tricky. So, the issue here is that in all of temporary residence application forms they ask your *highest* degree attained. Assuming MBA was his highest degree, he will have a lot of explanation to do. Now... there are some .... ermmm.... slithering ways to achieve this.

You see many institutes do not name their MBA as "MBA". They name it as "Post Graduate Diploma" or something similar. He can claim the omission to the confusion that which qualification is higher. Do know that a VO may very well detect all of this BS and can call you out.

Ask a lawyer while applying for PR for path foreward.

Now, in my opinion ..... I have seen people with much fishier issues pass alright but still... it is still an issue.

In my own application, I forgot to mention one of my wife's old name (she had a name that only showed up in her degree/academic quals). So after a lot of thinking, I just mentioned it as a quirk of Indian education system. My lawyer said that yeah its fine. You will be okay. It is expected that your PR application will be more thorough and can ADD more information to your profile. It should not contradict with what is still know about you.

Get a professional advice. From a good lawyer. It may be a bit fishy but he might just pass through.

sahirkhan

May 25, 2023

This is somewhat tricky. So, the issue here is that in all of temporary residence application forms they ask your *highest* degree attained. Assuming MBA was his highest degree, he will have a lot of explanation to do. Now... there are some .... ermmm.... slithering ways to achieve this.

You see many institutes do not name their MBA as "MBA". They name it as "Post Graduate Diploma" or something similar. He can claim the omission to the confusion that which qualification is higher. Do know that a VO may very well detect all of this BS and can call you out.

Ask a lawyer while applying for PR for path foreward.

Now, in my opinion ..... I have seen people with much fishier issues pass alright but still... it is still an issue.

In my own application, I forgot to mention one of my wife's old name (she had a name that only showed up in her degree/academic quals). So after a lot of thinking, I just mentioned it as a quirk of Indian education system. My lawyer said that yeah its fine. You will be okay. It is expected that your PR application will be more thorough and can ADD more information to your profile. It should not contradict with what is still know about you.

Get a professional advice. From a good lawyer. It may be a bit fishy but he might just pass through.
@GandiBaat
Assalamualaikum!
Sir, I have a similar question but in this case the Masters was done through Distance education from a recognized University and CES recognized it as Masters equivalency but did not disclose during Study Visa application or PGWP - both are approved and the person is in Canada looking forward to filing PR application.
Since, while pursuing Masters Distance Education he worked a full-time job he showed this experience instead of Masters. Is this going to cause a problem now if he wants to claim points for both Masters and work experience (full-time) during the same period of time? How to approach this? Please advise.
Your response is greatly appreciated.
Jazakallah!

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
@GandiBaat
Assalamualaikum!
Sir, I have a similar question but in this case the Masters was done through Distance education from a recognized University and CES recognized it as Masters equivalency but did not disclose during Study Visa application or PGWP - both are approved and the person is in Canada looking forward to filing PR application.
Since, while pursuing Masters Distance Education he worked a full-time job he showed this experience instead of Masters. Is this going to cause a problem now if he wants to claim points for both Masters and work experience (full-time) during the same period of time? How to approach this? Please advise.
Your response is greatly appreciated.
Jazakallah!
Waalaikumsalaam and Barakallah brother,

One thing we must remember is that Canada takes a very open definition of misrepresentation. It defines misrepresentation as direct (done by you) or indirect (done by someone whom you employed or hired or who was acting on your behalf) action or lack of action that induces fault in operation of IRPA and IRPR. This means if you did something or if you forgot to do something, the law takes it as a misrepresentation.

Now what remains is how much likely immigration people are to act on it. So first thing first, know that an omission of a fact especially asked DIRECTLY in the form, CAN BE VERY LIKELY PUNISHED BY IRCC with a misrep finding. Second, it is BEST and even VITAL to get a professional advice on these matters from a lawyer. That 400-500 dollars can buy you a real opinion and pitfall that likes of us can never provide. Especially when consequences are rather extreme -- 5 years ban with no right of appeal.

Now, I can give you what have been told to me in consultations with lawyers in my own immigration case and those with whom I was deeply involved. These are experiences but not really advice.

First thing as I said before is that adding more information during your PR might work out especially if it does not contradict with existing information. PR application are supposed to be more through. That being said, your highest degree can be a vital piece of information used to decide your SP. So if you did not report your highest degree, well, you are hiding a vital piece of information which might lead to incorrect decision there. So this is not a direct application of the principle that I was told but might work out. I have not faced this situation myself but a sort of related situation as I said before.

One more interesting thing is that the person you mentioned has a masters but also a qualification from Canada. I will try and see if that Canadian qualification is enough to gather points required. Also try to secure a VALID ELIGIBLE job offer (it is a bit more complex so ensure you know it properly). With those points you might just not need those points of masters degree. You may just mention it as an activity and a qualifcation with no equivalence done and be done with it. Other option is to try gather more points via french language skills.

You see. I am trying to avoid that path in which your masters is looked deeply. Its becoming a bit of danger. You want to report it but show it is not a part of your profile for which you want to be evaluated. That IMHO will be the best recourse. Ofcourse your lawyer may know better.

Will it work? I hope it does. Its a plan, do get it vetted by a lawyer. I am not sure if this is the answer you are looking for. However, since I have not directly faced this situation so I can only speculate and try to play safe.

@imransyed In you friend's case too I will strongly recommend if we can avoid him having to depend upon his MBA for points. The path is a bit dangerous. That being said as always, a professional's advice is much better and supersedes any of our discussion.

Jazakallah!

Last edited:

sahirkhan

May 25, 2023
Waalaikumsalaam and Barakallah brother,

One thing we must remember is that Canada takes a very open definition of misrepresentation. It defines misrepresentation as direct (done by you) or indirect (done by someone whom you employed or hired or who was acting on your behalf) action or lack of action that induces fault in operation of IRPA and IRPR. This means if you did something or if you forgot to do something, the law takes it as a misrepresentation.

Now what remains is how much likely immigration people are to act on it. So first thing first, know that an omission of a fact especially asked DIRECTLY in the form, CAN BE VERY LIKELY PUNISHED BY IRCC with a misrep finding. Second, it is BEST and even VITAL to get a professional advice on these matters from a lawyer. That 400-500 dollars can buy you a real opinion and pitfall that likes of us can never provide. Especially when consequences are rather extreme -- 5 years ban with no right of appeal.

Now, I can give you what have been told to me in consultations with lawyers in my own immigration case and those with whom I was deeply involved. These are experiences but not really advice.

First thing as I said before is that adding more information during your PR might work out especially if it does not contradict with existing information. PR application are supposed to be more through. That being said, your highest degree can be a vital piece of information used to decide your SP. So if you did not report your highest degree, well, you are hiding a vital piece of information which might lead to incorrect decision there. So this is not a direct application of the principle that I was told but might work out. I have not faced this situation myself but a sort of related situation as I said before.

One more interesting thing is that the person you mentioned has a masters but also a qualification from Canada. I will try and see if that Canadian qualification is enough to gather points required. Also try to secure a VALID ELIGIBLE job offer (it is a bit more complex so ensure you know it properly). With those points you might just not need those points of masters degree. You may just mention it as an activity and a qualifcation with no equivalence done and be done with it. Other option is to try gather more points via french language skills.

You see. I am trying to avoid that path in which your masters is looked deeply. Its becoming a bit of danger. You want to report it but show it is not a part of your profile for which you want to be evaluated. That IMHO will be the best recourse. Ofcourse your lawyer may know better.

Will it work? I hope it does. Its a plan, do get it vetted by a lawyer. I am not sure if this is the answer you are looking for. However, since I have not directly faced this situation so I can only speculate and try to play safe.

@imransyed In you friend's case too I will strongly recommend if we can avoid him having to depend upon his MBA for points. The path is a bit dangerous. That being said as always, a professional's advice is much better and supersedes any of our discussion.

Jazakallah!
@GandiBaat
Jazakallah for your response!
I understand and will advise getting a lawyer consultation in this matter. I know you are sharing your view based on experiences and consultations, if you don't mind me asking a follow-up question/clarification, could you please share your thoughts about the work experience during the time of Masters if he chooses to disclose Masters (Distance Education/Remote learning)? Is it possible to claim points for both?
His idea of looking forward in this situation is since he did indeed hide/misrepresented a vital information in previous applications, it is still going to harm him in future (PR or Citizenship in case) so better disclose it now even though he may not claim points for the same or have to explain in case of probing from IRCC through help of a lawyer.
When you mentioned "You may just mention it as an activity and a qualification with no equivalence done and be done with it." Does this mean, to show Masters in Personal History and not claim points for it or not show Masters at all?
Lastly, any good recommendation of a lawyer you can share would be great!
I have been reading through several posts/groups/forums and seeing a similar query with your genuine response just added so much value, it means a lot. I really appreciate your time and sharing of thoughts brother.
Thank you very much! :)

Reactions: imransyed

imransyed

Feb 26, 2020
Category........
FSW

Walekum assalam!

Thanks for the answer man, I have passed on the advice.
My view is the same as yours, there should be linearity and no self contracting aspects to any application.

I still remember the tough time IRCC gave me when they couldn't verify myd work experience in the family business.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020

Sorry bro, but this was intentional omission on the part of the applicant. They knew that declaring an MBA can adversely affect their chances of getting a SP for a PG diploma hence the omission. They 100% knew why their lawyer suggested it and they went along with it. IRCC is not stupid (well they kinda are, but not in this regard :)), they see this trick all the time, and if this degree is included in any application going forward, it would most likely be flagged as misrepresentation = ban.

Even if they do not claim points for it in their PR application, simply mentioning it in the Personal History will raise suspicion cos a degree is not something you randomly forget to mention, especially in a study permit application.

I agree with the advice to lawyer up.

ImpatientDragon

Feb 23, 2022
Sorry bro, but this was intentional omission on the part of the applicant. They knew that declaring an MBA can adversely affect their chances of getting a SP for a PG diploma hence the omission. They 100% knew why their lawyer suggested it and they went along with it. IRCC is not stupid (well they kinda are, but not in this regard :)), they see this trick all the time, and if this degree is included in any application going forward, it would most likely be flagged as misrepresentation = ban.

Even if they do not claim points for it in their PR application, simply mentioning it in the Personal History will raise suspicion cos a degree is not something you randomly forget to mention, especially in a study permit application.

Yup 100% agree.

imransyed

Feb 26, 2020
Category........
FSW

agreed, ircc can be pretty tough when they are not being absolutely dumb lol

imransyed

Feb 26, 2020
Category........
FSW
I was in Toronto Downtown today, near the very famous/infamous Eaton Square and I am wondering what is happening to this society, based on what I saw.

I'm shook to my soul right now. I saw a homeless high-on-drugs man doing something that would fit in a hannibal lecter movie. And people were just walking past him as if this man was invisible.

And the contrast was so freaking stark because there were people all around him carrying seemingly expensive looking shopping bags across people who were bent over, acting and doing all sorts of things people do on drugs.

And peddlers/dealers just seconds away from this homeless High collective. The cops only come when called for a disturbance caused by people.. to their business.

I was well aware of the homelessness situation here but to have experienced what I saw today, I'm scarred for life.. And i cannot imagine ever living happily in this country knowing what I know today.

• Sad
Reactions: wonderbly

Jazkh

Star Member
Nov 27, 2019
I was in Toronto Downtown today, near the very famous/infamous Eaton Square and I am wondering what is happening to this society, based on what I saw.

I'm shook to my soul right now. I saw a homeless high-on-drugs man doing something that would fit in a hannibal lecter movie. And people were just walking past him as if this man was invisible.

And the contrast was so freaking stark because there were people all around him carrying seemingly expensive looking shopping bags across people who were bent over, acting and doing all sorts of things people do on drugs.

And peddlers/dealers just seconds away from this homeless High collective. The cops only come when called for a disturbance caused by people.. to their business.

I was well aware of the homelessness situation here but to have experienced what I saw today, I'm scarred for life.. And i cannot imagine ever living happily in this country knowing what I know today.
You may not have seen homeless people where you are from. But this exists in every society. The ones in Toronto, are victims of drug abuse, mental illnesses, and general lack of grasp of reality. There are many civil groups that provide them shelter and assistance. It's an issue for sure. You will find some corners have this demographic more than others. The biggest homeless shelter in Canada is just a 2 minute walk from Dundas square (Eaton Centre i.e). But even Seaton House (locally known as Satan's House), provides a lot of these homeless people with food and shelter and a means to restart their lives. I've met refugees from wartorn countries take refugee at Seaton House until they could find a job etc. That said, yes, some do fall through the cracks and get lost in the city. They were regular people like us, and it is possible with an optimistic approach that they can turn their lives around. Anyone can fall victim to mental illness, poverty, or drugs or whatever circumstance.

Here's an individual who came to where I worked regularly to seek refuge. I guess looking for him on Google tells me he is now in UK. But it stands as an example, and he has advocated for decriminalization of people with drug addictions, which is also why I am sharing this here.

"From World Cup to homeless: Ex-soccer star Paul James on why he left Canada for London"
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/former-top-canadian-soccer-player-homeless-in-london

Last edited: