+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

D

Deleted member 1083629

Thanks for the tips @GandiBaat @imransyed @RSub @MajorGrom

I haven't moved yet (moving in april) and job hunting is going like trash so far. Zero responses. "Not enough experience" for entry level roles and no eligible for internships because I'm not in university. This year is probably going to be very very rough.

I can provide US landlord references, but they're from 3-4 years ago, and not Canadian (obviously).
I posted here before. Do not come to Canada right now. Wait for as long as you can. Market is terrible. I would plan to move in 2024 if you can.

D

Deleted member 1083629

I gave up and moved to Toronto to spend 2x more on rent, and to be honest, even here it becomes a ghost town. Several places close 9-10 pm. Clubs close at 2
That's new. Before pandemic, if you wanted coffee at 10 PM, you could choose any place. Now, 8 PM everything is dead.

Reactions: Alysson

Saurabh3300

Star Member
Jan 4, 2021
IELTS expiring on 27 Feb. Score 489.

Do you think I’ll be able to make it in the next draw?

Any tips? I’ve already applied for PCC

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
IELTS expiring on 27 Feb. Score 489.

Do you think I’ll be able to make it in the next draw?

Any tips? I’ve already applied for PCC
There should be a draw next week and the cut off was 489 in the last draw so you should be fine.
That being said, the last couple of draws were a bit unusual so no one knows what's gonna happen. But it looks promising.

Reactions: Saurabh3300

Saurabh3300

Star Member
Jan 4, 2021
There should be a draw next week and the cut off was 489 in the last draw so you should be fine.
That being said, the last couple of draws were a bit unusual so no one knows what's gonna happen. But it looks promising.
Yeah I was left out because of tie breaker (profile was made in May).

Do you know if IELTS should be valid until AOR or the date of application submission? I understand it can take 48 hours to get AOR from application submission so need to be sure. Given how tight my timeline is going to be, each day may be important

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
Yeah I was left out because of tie breaker (profile was made in May).

Do you know if IELTS should be valid until AOR or the date of application submission? I understand it can take 48 hours to get AOR from application submission so need to be sure. Given how tight my timeline is going to be, each day may be important
I think it must be valid when you receive AOR but I'm not 100% sure to be honest.
Usually you should get AOR almost immediately.

Reactions: Saurabh3300

Arod

May 15, 2017
Now, let's go to https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-banking/mortgages/calculators/affordability-calculator.html and plug in numbers. I plugged in 150K with 50K downpayment and I got ... 560,727 as max. purchasing at 25 years max. Let's add roughly 40K and make it 600K. Let's go to condos and see what's up. Tada!!! Nothing decent in downtown Toronto. Sure, we have 1 BDR or Studio but most of us are married. So we need at least 2 BDR. Outside of Toronto? Oh yeah, possible to find something. But here is beauty. Step outside of Downtown and you need a car to move around. Which adds another couple of bucks a month as insurance for first timers in Canada is ooofffff.

Here is the reality. But what do I and my friends know about this.
You never talked about Downtown Toronto in your previous posts, you suggested "people can't get a place in the GTA even with a $150k income."

Here is a quote from your message:

I know they want to buy a place in GTA. Condo: 2 bdr. That's all I know.

150K won't help you when you don't have downpayment large enough.
So can or can't people find a home with a $150k income?

D

Deleted member 1083629

You never talked about Downtown Toronto in your previous posts, you suggested "people can't get a place in the GTA even with a $150k income."

Here is a quote from your message:

So can or can't people find a home with a $150k income?
They want to buy a place in DT Toronto so they don't have to buy a car. If one gets a place outside of DT Toronto, then one needs a car. Which brings total amount of expenses above the level that one can afford on 150K salary.

Arod

May 15, 2017
They want to buy a place in DT Toronto so they don't have to buy a car. If one gets a place outside of DT Toronto, then one needs a car. Which brings total amount of expenses above the level that one can afford on 150K salary.
You keep moving the goalposts.

First you were talking about the GTA, then downtown Toronto, tomorrow you'll be saying you were referring to the Yorkville neighbourhood only.

By the way, I live outside DT Toronto and the first year or so I didn't have a car, so no, it is NOT true that you need a car if you live outside downtown. It makes things easier for sure, but it's not like you can't survive without a car.

Arod

May 15, 2017
People honestly romanticize the US a little too much. Many are in for a rude awakening if/when they move to the US. All I'm saying is, temper your expectations. And to be clear, outside of my visa issues, I loved everything about my time in the US.
True, even many Venezuelan immigrants are finding out now that the US is not the promised land they thought, so they are leaving for Canada.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/05/migrants-abandon-nyc-for-canada-with-taxpayer-funded-bus-tickets/

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
True, even many Venezuelan immigrants are finding out now that the US is not the promised land they thought, so they are leaving for Canada.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/05/migrants-abandon-nyc-for-canada-with-taxpayer-funded-bus-tickets/
And they are going back to NYC.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/08/migrants-bussed-to-canada-already-heading-back-to-nyc/

You should know how republican's have been playing with these migrants life and using them for their pity politics.. There are always two sides to a story.

Reactions: Alysson

Arod

May 15, 2017
Reactions: iSaidGoodDay
D

Deleted member 1083629

You keep moving the goalposts.

First you were talking about the GTA, then downtown Toronto, tomorrow you'll be saying you were referring to the Yorkville neighbourhood only.

By the way, I live outside DT Toronto and the first year or so I didn't have a car, so no, it is NOT true that you need a car if you live outside downtown. It makes things easier for sure, but it's not like you can't survive without a car.
Not really.

150K is a salary. Minus tax, minus expenses you have X amount of money. From this money you have to pay mortgage. Adding a car to those expenses is borderline impossible task.

In regards to a car: in the beginning (in 2017) I stayed in North York. It's very similar to Austin; while I could survive without a car, I was walking a lot to places that didn't have bus stops and overall, I was spending 3x more time on simple tasks.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Usually, we do not like to live in DT. I don't know about Toronto, but I know about Vancouver. Trust me, you will not like to live there. Never. Given most of the places have gone hybrid, you will like to go to downtown once in a while. Like 2 times in a week or even less.

I know vancouver, if today I were to move to vancouver, here is what I will do:
1. Buy a place in New Westminister or Burnaby
https://www.realtor.ca/map#ZoomLevel=12&Center=49.257645,-123.123580&LatitudeMax=49.32661&LongitudeMax=-122.92050&LatitudeMin=49.18858&LongitudeMin=-123.32666&Sort=1-A&PGeoIds=g30_c2b2nw3h&GeoName=Vancouver, BC&PropertyTypeGroupID=1&PropertySearchTypeId=0&TransactionTypeId=2&BedRange=2-0&BathRange=2-0&Currency=CAD

This is costing 500-600K these days.

You need about 120K downpayment and 2800 per month for most flexible option of two year closed term. Thats close to a lot of rentals for 2 bedroom.

I think I can afford 2800 per month on a salary of 150K per month on mortgage. If my wife is not as lazy, she can chip in another 30K.

2. From both places, it takes 30-35 mins to downtown.

Last edited:
Reactions: feanor13