+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
For those of you living in Toronto, what the heck is going on with TTC??? I saw a woman getting stabbed in the face couple of days ago. Couple of hours ago, the train stopped and driver said that on the next stop, there is a guy with knife and the driver won't be stopping.

Is this a problem in your cities as well? Or is it just Toronto being Toronto?
I came in October last year and seeing this kind of news frequently, did not expect to see such things happening so blatantly in Canada.

D

Deleted member 1083629

In my 5 years, never seen anything like this in Vancouver or Victoria personally. BUT!

Here is what happened few months back in Victoria/Saanich and victoria is a small and prosperous city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Saanich_shootout

2 robbers dead, 6 police/swat team injured. Some crazies planned a bank-roberry. Bank barely had any cash...

It is worth mentioning, Victoria is supposedly the crime captial of Canada.
I mean that's kind of 1 time off thing. What happens on TTC, happens daily. I pretty much told my wife not take a TTC when she is alone; only Uber/Lyft. It's weird to admit but I felt safer in Moscow than I feel in Toronto.

D

Deleted member 1083629

I came in October last year and seeing this kind of news frequently, did not expect to see such things happening so blatantly in Canada.
I know, right? It's bizarre what is happening. Moscow is considered far from being a safe place but I felt safer in Moscow than I feel in Toronto. And Moscow has bunch of foreigners who are not exactly law friendly.

pinemaple

Star Member
Apr 27, 2022
If you work, pick up anything you do at work and go down the rabbit hole trying to understand if that's the best way you can do things. For example, tests. Most companies run unit tests. Find example of those. What about load tests? How to run them and when they are appropriate? What about end-2-end tests? What about e2e tests when you have to imitate a DB?
Thanks, I appreciate it. I will try to do that.

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
Oh, btw. If you are moving to Canada or about to move and you will start your job search soon, starting grinding leetcode and system design interviews. The situation is pretty bad over here and you need your A game to get anything decent.
I have a question for you. When I came here, I completed all of the rounds for like three jobs but didn't get any response for more than a month and by the time they responded, I already accepted another job. Now for almost three months, I am still seeing those jobs being regularly re-posted every few weeks on LinkedIn and the company websites, are these companies really hiring or just trolling by interviewing people for their stats or something? I have never experience this kind of BS before.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
I have a question for you. When I came here, I completed all of the rounds for like three jobs but didn't get any response for more than a month and by the time they responded, I already accepted another job. Now for almost three months, I am still seeing those jobs being regularly re-posted every few weeks on LinkedIn and the company websites, are these companies really hiring or just trolling by interviewing people for their stats or something? I have never experience this kind of BS before.
Could be either. Mass layoffs still are a big tech thing. Many financial institutions / startups are using this opportunity to "upgrade" their staff.

D

Deleted member 1083629

Could be anything. IMO, they are not super in rush to hire and they are looking for "this is it" factor. By reposting the ad, they collect CVs for their internal bank, so when there is a need, they will go through those CVs first.

It's also possible that they got a new budget kicking in and now they are looking for more than 1 engineer (mass hiring). That would be unusual in this economy but who knows.

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
@GandiBaat @MajorGrom Interviewing candidates takes a lot of effort and they completed all the rounds pretty quickly too but then just ghosted, makes no sense to me and I am seeing some of these ads since June last year when I got my COPR.

D

Deleted member 1083629

@GandiBaat @MajorGrom Interviewing candidates takes a lot of effort and they completed all the rounds pretty quickly too but then just ghosted, makes no sense to me and I am seeing some of these ads since June last year when I got my COPR.
Hmmm. So, when things like that happen it means you weren't the first choice. So, they waited on their preferred candidate to complete the interview (his last round could have been after yours), then tried to negotiate, then they failed. After that, they went to the second option, same story. After that, they reached out to you, you said sorry, got the job. They decided that it won't make sense to hire someone else and get back to ground zero.

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
Hmmm. So, when things like that happen it means you weren't the first choice. So, they waited on their preferred candidate to complete the interview (his last round could have been after yours), then tried to negotiate, then they failed. After that, they went to the second option, same story. After that, they reached out to you, you said sorry, got the job. They decided that it won't make sense to hire someone else and get back to ground zero.
That makes sense. Also, notice period in Canada is just two weeks so people with jobs looking for a change could be giving interviews in multiple places and picking the best offer so maybe this also factored in. In my case, I was kind of desperate because I was jobless :D

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
So my employer has a hiring freeze. this happens too. You were selected but stuck in a hiring freeze. Sometimes, some companies hire for company and not role or team. So they ghost you if underlying team has its budget cut and they have "backfill" you. I interviewed with google some months back and they told me that even after selection it could be several months before they could match me with a team. while google is transparent, not everyone is.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
I mean that's kind of 1 time off thing. What happens on TTC, happens daily. I pretty much told my wife not take a TTC when she is alone; only Uber/Lyft. It's weird to admit but I felt safer in Moscow than I feel in Toronto.
I just read vice article on TTC. TTC lawyers outrightly says, "don't travel alone in TTC if you are a woman! you should know this and dont blame us if someone pushes you on the tracks". Damn!

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
So in less than a month from Landing here as a newcomer, I have gotten myself a job in my field (I work non-IT, non engineering procurement) to support my expenses during these cold winter months. And while I have rented out a room in someone's townhouse at the moment, I was happy to think about finally having a full time job and getting my own apartment... until I saw the rents. Turns out, I will be staying with roommates probably forever. This is insane, I knew it was bad but this is just insane and I am not even married yet!

I was doing some research on how to increase my income potential but inadvertently fell into the trap of watching and reading about how it is so bad for people who make the median yearly wage here, which is 50k pre taxes. It was quite a spiral and very difficult to not feel stressed out and sad. I also planned to sell off some property in India and invest in Canada but I have lost all confidence in this scam/bubble economy.
I came here with plans of starting and operating a small business mindset, but that is completely impossible in Toronto. I will be visiting London soon and I have a friend there who started his thing from scratch and is doing quite well there.. but he started in like 2019, what a time that was.

There is no way I will be able to start a family if I continue working in Procurement. I am 28 now and I feel lost, and the only way I see out is getting into IT. Not too late but still a massive hurdle. Any suggestions? Is Trades a better idea than IT? Is there anything that is non IT and also pays decently well if I make all the right moves and decisions career wise? Or should I stick to Procurement and get deeper specialization in that?
Forum members, chime in please.
Your income is pretty much poverty level in Toronto although I am not surprised. You probably got low-balled due to being an immigrant, these Toronto HR/recruiters are predatory.
The thing is with procurement jobs, a lot of superficial things matter, since it is a client/vendor facing role:
Your level of english
Your accent
Your culture (making smalltalk and knowing how business is done)
Your education (Canadian degree with help)
Procurement jobs can be lucrative, especially public procurement (just imagine the no. of public agencies that waste taxpayer dollars) but unlike tech where demand is high, it's more competitive and knowing how to network to get those desired jobs
Your work experience abroad will be written off instantaneously (maybe except WE with MNCs, which could help with that company here in Canada). They will always choose a bilingual Canadian professional over you for all those reasons. After that, an Anglo Canadian. If they can't find anyone else they'll hire a recent immigrant at sub-par pay.

Last edited: