+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

littlestar19

May 9, 2022
It is difficult, but don't be under the impression that you need to be proficient in french to get the 50 months. You need a B2, which is nowhere even in the realm of proficiency. B2 in english, for example, is the person you make fun of for having trash english. B2 is a joke in terms of actual language ability.

Took me about a year, about 12-15 hours a week, to get to B2. A1 and A2 took 2 months each. and anywhere from 4-5 months for B1 and B2 each. It kind of gets muddy because I was using multiple sources to learn.

If I remember my calculations right, a B1 in all four skills will get you a total of 4 points. A B2 in all four will get you 12 points plus the 50 point bonus. I don't think A1 and A2 gets you any points. I think basically you'll get anywhere from 4 to 10 points depending on whatever combination of B1 and B2 scores you get. That took me over 6 months to get to that level. Could take you less, could take you more.

If you're not planning on putting time into it and at least aiming for B2s across the board, I wouldn't waste your time trying.
When does one get the 50 bonus points?

D

Deleted member 1006777

Ohh !! Meaning, a B2 level in all 4 will give one 12+50 points and a combination of B1 and B2 will give one around/ less than 12 points ? Is that right?
Yup exactly. I got a C1 in there, so I got 14+50 I think. So above B2 also gets you some extra points. And reading is the easiest of the four. Fairly easy to get a C1 there once you reach a true B2 level.

Last edited by a moderator:

cemivac

Star Member
Nov 17, 2020
It is difficult, but don't be under the impression that you need to be proficient in french to get the 50 months. You need a B2, which is nowhere even in the realm of proficiency. B2 in english, for example, is the person you make fun of for having trash english. B2 is a joke in terms of actual language ability.

Took me about a year, about 12-15 hours a week, to get to B2. A1 and A2 took 2 months each. and anywhere from 4-5 months for B1 and B2 each. It kind of gets muddy because I was using multiple sources to learn.

If I remember my calculations right, a B1 in all four skills will get you a total of 4 points. A B2 in all four will get you 12 points plus the 50 point bonus. I don't think A1 and A2 gets you any points. I think basically you'll get anywhere from 4 to 10 points depending on whatever combination of B1 and B2 scores you get. That took me over 6 months to get to that level. Could take you less, could take you more.

If you're not planning on putting time into it and at least aiming for B2s across the board, I wouldn't waste your time trying.
The sentiment of not wasting time trying for anything less than a B2 across the board is right on the money, in my opinion. However, B2 being a joke is a stretch. If we're gauging by CEFR levels, B2 is where it gets "interesting"; sure, you're not a master of the language and WILL screw the subjunctive up, as part of the experience, but you're able to hold any, if not most, conversations that aren't overly technical. Same with consuming material in said language. What you're describing is closer to an A2 with a meek personality.

That being said, B2 is a worthy goal to pursue! It was when the language started getting "interesting" for me. You're learning all the time, while using it.

Something to consider: The amount of vocabulary words that you must know per level doubles, as you go on:

B1 = 2,000 words.
B2 = 4,000 words.
C1 = 8,000 words.
C2 = 10,000+ words.

i.e. upper levels take "more time" to learn, once the basics are down.

D

Deleted member 1006777

The sentiment of not wasting time trying for anything less than a B2 across the board is right on the money, in my opinion. However, B2 being a joke is a stretch. If we're gauging by CEFR levels, B2 is where it gets "interesting"; sure, you're not a master of the language and WILL screw the subjunctive up, as part of the experience, but you're able to hold any, if not most, conversations that aren't overly technical. Same with consuming material in said language. What you're describing is closer to an A2 with a meek personality.

That being said, B2 is a worthy goal to pursue! It was when the language started getting "interesting" for me. You're learning all the time, while using it.

Something to consider: The amount of vocabulary words that you must know per level doubles, as you go on:

B1 = 2,000 words.
B2 = 4,000 words.
C1 = 8,000 words.
C2 = 10,000+ words.

i.e. upper levels take "more time" to learn, once the basics are down.
I posted a different reply but it got a little ranty so I deleted it. Look bottom line for me is, if you got to a B2 in french to get the score boost, I respect you for it. But if someone wants a pat on the back just for getting to a B2, I'm happy not associating with them.

Like you said though B2 is where the language started to get interesting. But let's not pretend a B2 is something worthwhile. A worthy goal to pursue, absolutely. A worthy achievement? Not really. It's where language ability starts. I have seen people think B2 is 'proficiency' and that is frankly hilarious. You're vastly overestimating the level of spoken french at a B2, and vastly underestimating the level of a casual conversation that uses variations in tone, inflection, idioms etc., all of which comes naturally. Nobody is thinking of what a fckn subjunctive is. You either use it instinctively or you don't. If you're still thinking about it, you're not proficient. Simple as that.

arvind92

Star Member
Jan 3, 2021
Hey guys,
Is there anyway we can delete our profile on this forum? I have been trying to figure out a way...
Or at least delete our posts which we started or posts which we posted on other threads ?

• Wow
Reactions: dankboi
D

Deleted member 1006777

Reactions: DesiPikachu

cemivac

Star Member
Nov 17, 2020
I posted a different reply but it got a little ranty so I deleted it. Look bottom line for me is, if you got to a B2 in french to get the score boost, I respect you for it. But if someone wants a pat on the back just for getting to a B2, I'm happy not associating with them.

Like you said though B2 is where the language started to get interesting. But let's not pretend a B2 is something worthwhile. A worthy goal to pursue, absolutely. A worthy achievement? Not really. It's where language ability starts. I have seen people think B2 is 'proficiency' and that is frankly hilarious. You're vastly overestimating the level of spoken french at a B2, and vastly underestimating the level of a casual conversation that uses variations in tone, inflection, idioms etc., all of which comes naturally. Nobody is thinking of what a fckn subjunctive is. You either use it instinctively or you don't. If you're still thinking about it, you're not proficient. Simple as that.
I'm not entirely sure where you're coming from. B2 is the minimum required proficiency for professionals across the EU; I work with people on a daily basis with such credentials and they can do their jobs just fine. I do consider it a sizable achievement and as such, it opens up quite a few doors. That is, ask any EU-based employer, it's usually what they'll ask for. I wouldn't consider getting jobs at a B2 level an "overestimation" of level, it's just what it is. You may have a different standard, which is fine, if it works for your purposes, whatever they may be.

On the personal side it's even more noticeable. People are usually impressed when you speak to them at a B2 level in their native language (unless it's english 'cause, "everyone speaks it").

Finally, I take it the subjunctive is either systematic or just flat out not a part of your native language? I know there's occasions where I have to stop and think, even in Spanish (My native language), whenever the use of the subjunctive gets too intricate. As you make your point, I'm sure you're well aware that conveying appropriate emotion and nuance is by no means an easy task, which is not entirely grammatically dependent; context is an important part, hence the difficulty.

cemivac

Star Member
Nov 17, 2020
minimum

You said it yourself. Minimum. If you're satisfied with being the bare minimum, good for you I guess?
It's the attitude I've procured so far whenever I do french related stuff nowadays, for sure. I've seen improvement, so I'd argue that yes, It's been a proper approach to take! At least for me. I do know I'm looking forward to take a C2 test someday, after enough time. Slowly but surely.

D

Deleted member 1006777

It's the attitude I've procured so far whenever I do french related stuff nowadays, for sure. I've seen improvement, so I'd argue that yes, It's been a proper approach to take! At least for me. I do know I'm looking forward to take a C2 test someday, after enough time. Slowly but surely.
Then we're on the same page.

Either people can say their goal is the 50 point bonus, so B2 is where's it's at. Or you want to learn the language properly for reasons beyond immigration. Let's not conflate the two. B2 is a start. Nothing more.

cemivac

Star Member
Nov 17, 2020
Then we're on the same page.

Either people can say their goal is the 50 point bonus, so B2 is where's it's at. Or you want to learn the language properly for reasons beyond immigration. Let's not conflate the two. B2 is a start. Nothing more.
A start for the latter, the end for the former. These can both be goals that exist simultaneously in an individual, or not. I do think about "sunken" cost though: If you've reached a B2 and plan to settle on Canada long term, why not go all the way? I'm sure it can happen rather organically if you're involved the least bit, with your partly french-speaking community, in your new life as an immigrant.

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
Yeah but only as a visitor.. Canada passport won't get you work rights other than TN visa to US or Mexico.
You're forgetting the 1-2 year working holiday programs that you can take advantage of as a Canadian passport holder. Eligibility for most is till the age of 35 which is more than most countries:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_holiday_visa

And getting work visas and residence visas in other countries become a mere formality. I've seen the difference in treatment my cousins got at immigration when they acquired their British passport.

For Indian citizens there are additional advantages - most FEMA/FERA laws don't apply to PIOs/OCIs and it's easier to do business in dollars even if you go back to India. It'll be extremely easy to get admission to IITs, IIMs, and NITs as a foreign citizen, for you and your children.

Last edited: