+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
I landed a day before yesterday at Vancouver, BC. Immigration was quick, they didn't check proof of funds just asked questions on CoPR letter.
Got my SIN, opened a bank account and got a new number yesterday.

Quick question: I provided an address for PR card delivery at the time of immigration, but now I want to change the address. What are my options?
Calling IRCC is best bet.

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
Are these companies any good? Have you had any experience with them? Also, do you have any idea regarding the credit card company called "Tangerine"?
I never had any personal experience with these companies though. I heard that Tangerine is good w.r.to its chequing, savings and credit card services. It also bundles mobile device insurance, rental car insurance and many other perks.

Its been two months now since I came to Canada and I was able to obtain only one credit card (CIBC Dividend Visa Credit Card. I presume CIBC approved it for a limit of $1,000 as I had a Chequing and Savings account with them, and applied for a Credit card separately online). I tried applying for a CIBC Costco Credit Card (Although I'm a Costco member since 2014 from the U.S, they rejected the application). Moreover, Costco in Canada accepts only Mastercard. The only canadian credit card which I have is Visa which will not help in buying groceries from Costco, inspite of being a Costco member. I tried applying for a RBC Mastercard but that got rejected as well, probably because of the fact that I'm pretty new to Canada.

Thus, FX cards come in handy to manage expenses. I have 3 U.S credit cards: BofA Travel, Sofi Mastercard and Discover card -- All of them offering no FX fees. I've been using Sofi card in conjunction with others managing expenses. These challenges would be there initially but once you establish credit and spend more time in Canada, I suppose you would be eligible for applying for more credit products.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I never had any personal experience with these companies though. I heard that Tangerine is good w.r.to its chequing, savings and credit card services. It also bundles mobile device insurance, rental car insurance and many other perks.

Its been two months now since I came to Canada and I was able to obtain only one credit card (CIBC Dividend Visa Credit Card. I presume CIBC approved it for a limit of $1,000 as I had a Chequing and Savings account with them, and applied for a Credit card separately online). I tried applying for a CIBC Costco Credit Card (Although I'm a Costco member since 2014 from the U.S, they rejected the application). Moreover, Costco in Canada accepts only Mastercard. The only canadian credit card which I have is Visa which will not help in buying groceries from Costco, inspite of being a Costco member. I tried applying for a RBC Mastercard but that got rejected as well, probably because of the fact that I'm pretty new to Canada.

Thus, FX cards come in handy to manage expenses. I have 3 U.S credit cards: BofA Travel, Sofi Mastercard and Discover card -- All of them offering no FX fees. I've been using Sofi card in conjunction with others managing expenses. These challenges would be there initially but once you establish credit and spend more time in Canada, I suppose you would be eligible for applying for more credit products.
Tf, you got rejected for 3 cards. Is that gonna be on your credit record?

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
Tf, you got rejected for 3 cards. Is that gonna be on your credit record?
Actually 2 cards .. Yes it will be on my credit report

• Wow
Reactions: Impatient Dankaroo

MrJ2802

Apr 15, 2021
Hi @legalfalcon , this is a very unusual question but please help. We passed our remedicals on Jan 27th, 2022. AOR is November 2019 OINP application, VO is CIO and COR is India. We have an agent. But I went through an MP to check for the status of the application and came to know that original passport was requested on Feb 2nd, 2022. Agent says he never got any email. What can be done in this scenario? Maybe it’s in his Spam, what if it’s not ? Even if it is, could you please tell me what should my next step be?

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW

CIBC Dividend Visa Credit Card_ i have one now

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020

Lol 1000 what a joke (canadian banks). That's what my limit was as an unemployed student.

And still is since I'm not a PR lol

Last edited:
Reactions: bluehorse

ImpatientAlligator

Sep 7, 2021
Scotiabank also is the only major bank in Canada to offer a no foreign transaction fee credit card. Again one of the differences vs USA where many banks offer such credit cards.
Yeah, it is weird why they dont have more options on this front and why they're all paid (I looked at Scotiabank and HSBC). I'm keeping my Chase Amazon card from the USA which is free and has no transaction fees. Even the Amazon cards in Canada suck compared to the USA.

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
Yeah, it is weird why they dont have more options on this front and why they're all paid (I looked at Scotiabank and HSBC). I'm keeping my Chase Amazon card from the USA which is free and has no transaction fees. Even the Amazon cards in Canada suck compared to the USA.
I agree!

MrJ2802

Apr 15, 2021
Hi @legalfalcon , this is a very unusual question but please help. We passed our remedicals on Jan 27th, 2022. AOR is November 2019 OINP application, VO is CIO and COR is India. We have an agent. But I went through an MP to check for the status of the application and came to know that original passport was requested on Feb 2nd, 2022. Agent says he never got any email. What can be done in this scenario? Maybe it’s in his Spam, what if it’s not ? Even if it is, could you please tell me what should my next step be?
@ImpatientAlligator @dankboi : Do any of you have an answer to this ?

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: RSub and dankboi
D

Deleted member 994371

Can I apply for two credit cards in succession? Just landed a couple of days ago and I have already applied for no-annual fees credit card from Scotia as part of their newcomer's program and got a 1000 CAD limit. Now I am thinking of applying for a credit card through CIBC as signup with them as part of newcomer account from them, once I have received the one from Scotia.

Will I be rejected if I apply in like 15 days of receiving a credit card?

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Agree, this is huge drawback. So if one loses TD credit card and is used by someone else, card holder wont even be alerted. I dont know whether other banks act the same way.
BMO sends text alerts. TD asks you to install app and send alerts through push notifications. But it is not reliable in my experience. BMO alerts almost instant when a transaction happens.

ImpatientAlligator

Sep 7, 2021
Can I apply for two credit cards in succession? Just landed a couple of days ago and I have already applied for no-annual fees credit card from Scotia as part of their newcomer's program and got a 1000 CAD limit. Now I am thinking of applying for a credit card through CIBC as signup with them as part of newcomer account from them, once I have received the one from Scotia.

Will I be rejected if I apply in like 15 days of receiving a credit card?
Your likelihood of approval depends on a few things: your job/salary, other credit cards, relationship with the bank, annual fee, credit score, etc. You can check your credit score on the Scotiabank app. If you don't get it approved, I wouldn't recommend applying for another one for the next 6 months.

And, welcome to Canada!