+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

D

Deleted member 994371

Great pointers. Chances are though, my exchange info is already somehow registered, at least in the QC system, given that universities inform the government of incoming students. Hope I don't get too many questions from the officer, then!

Just remember that they don't want to hear that you will be settling in Quebec.

It seems like you have college to attend in Quebec, so there is no denying that you will be going to Quebec after landing. You may have to somehow convince them that you will be moving back to another province once school is over.

cemivac

Star Member
Nov 17, 2020
Just remember that they don't want to hear that you will be settling in Quebec.

It seems like you have college to attend in Quebec, so there is no denying that you will be going to Quebec after landing. You may have to somehow convince them that you will be moving back to another province once school is over.
Yep! That was along the lines of what I was thinking. Being "upfront" about the exchange and telling them I'm leaving, going back to Europe to finish up my degree and then coming back to Canada, somewhere outside of Quebec, as I originally intended.

D

Deleted member 994371

Yep! That was along the lines of what I was thinking. Being "upfront" about the exchange and telling them I'm leaving, going back to Europe to finish up my degree and then coming back to Canada, somewhere outside of Quebec, as I originally intended.

If you say that, they won't let you apply for a PR card. They will ask you to apply for one when come to settling down "for real".

The Indian in me suggests dishing out an acquaintance's address for your PR card to arrive and then collect it from there later. Also, remember that if you don't get your PR card, you will have to apply for PRTD when you do return.

ElvisRamaj

Apr 26, 2021
Tirana, AL
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
If you say that, they won't let you apply for a PR card. They will ask you to apply for one when come to settling down "for real".

The Indian in me suggests dishing out an acquaintance's address for your PR card to arrive and then collect it from there later. Also, remember that if you don't get your PR card, you will have to apply for PRTD when you do return.
What is PRTD ?

cemivac

Star Member
Nov 17, 2020

I do have trusted people within Canada whose addresses I could readily provide, that was the plan originally, in fact. Gonna read up on this PRTD you speak of, it may be a very real possibility!

D

Deleted member 994371

What is PRTD ?

When you land in Canada as a PR, they will take your address for sending your PR card to your "residence." If you go out of Canada, you will need your PR card to return to Canada.

If you leave Canada without your PR card, you cannot come back on the basis of your passport alone. One cannot be considered a PR of Canada without a PR card. To return to Canada, you will have to apply for something called Permanent Residence Travel Document. The current wait time for PRTD is somewhere between 6 to 12 months.

Reactions: ElvisRamaj

cemivac

Star Member
Nov 17, 2020
When you land in Canada as a PR, they will take your address for sending your PR card to your "residence." If you go out of Canada, you will need your PR card to return to Canada.

If you leave Canada without your PR card, you cannot come back on the basis of your passport alone. One cannot be considered a PR of Canada without a PR card. To return to Canada, you will have to apply for something called Permanent Residence Travel Document. The current wait time for PRTD is somewhere between 6 to 12 months.
The wait time isn't encouraging at all. I'll have to think about this some more. Chances are though, I can ask for a final exam extension in my home uni if bad goes to worse, till my PR card arrives.

D

Deleted member 994371

The wait time isn't encouraging at all. I'll have to think about this some more. Chances are though, I can ask for a final exam extension in my home uni if bad goes to worse, till my PR card arrives.

Do take into consideration that PRTD is granted on the basis that you will be able to complete your residency obligation to renew your PR card. If the officer feels like you won't be able to complete your PR residency requirement, the officer has the right to refuse you PRTD. You will have to apply for PR all over again.

I am not saying this applies to you, but just something to keep in mind.

Reactions: cemivac

cemivac

Star Member
Nov 17, 2020
Do take into consideration that PRTD is granted on the basis that you will be able to complete your residency obligation to renew your PR card. If the officer feels like you won't be able to complete your PR residency requirement, the officer has the right to refuse you PRTD. You will have to apply for PR all over again.

Great stuff. Also I just thought about the following: If my PR arrives BEFORE the exchange, I can just choose not to complete the exchange, which I can tell the officer about as well and just settle in my original province of destination.

Btw, would you happen to know of a thread/resource where there's landing experiences? I'd love to read up on some and catch a "feel" for what I should expect.

sg1234

Star Member
May 14, 2020

Wow, I never knew PRTD can be refused. Are you sure?

Shubham6120

Jul 30, 2020
Gujarat
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01/01/2020
Doc's Request.
18/02/2021
AOR Received.
01/02/2021
IELTS Request
18/07/2019
Med's Request
18/02/2021
Med's Done....
18/02/2021
Passport Req..
02/05/2022
VISA ISSUED...
13/05/2022
Reactions: ImpatientAlligator
D

Deleted member 994371

Great stuff. Also I just thought about the following: If my PR arrives BEFORE the exchange, I can just choose not to complete the exchange, which I can tell the officer about as well and just settle in my original province of destination.

Btw, would you happen to know of a thread/resource where there's landing experiences? I'd love to read up on some and catch a "feel" for what I should expect.

You should watch these official videos to know what to expect:

IRCC official videos

Reactions: cemivac

Shubham6120

Jul 30, 2020
Gujarat
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01/01/2020
Doc's Request.