+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

he5ham

Star Member
May 24, 2019
To anyone who is planning to move to Germany. GOOD. FLIPPING LUCK.

As someone who's lived in Canada, the UK and Germany + some other countries, I'd CHOOSE Canada ANYTIME, ANYDAY, EVERY DAY above all of them... Easy reasons:

In Germany, YOU'RE OUT OF LUCK. I was in Germany on a Blue Card, which is supposed to be super helpful, until you realise the backlog to become a PR is like 2 years (depending on where you live... it could take up to 3 years) and then if you want to become a citizen, you may need to renounce your other citizenships.

In Germany, many places (like some banks, credit card providers, cable/mobile services) can pick and choose to deal with you if you're from outside the EU. Sometimes they may accept you and sometimes they may reject you (regardless of where you come from, I've had Canadian and American friends that struggled to get credit cards).

In Germany, in many cities you have to wake up at 4 am and queue in the cold with every class of immigrant to get an appointment at the Auslanderbehörde (immigration office).

In Germany, you need to do life in German, so you either get with the programme or you're out. Learning German becomes a necessity, to me it was more of a nuisance.

In Germany, if you're single and working you will PAY a S#!T ton of taxes. Sometimes you may be able to claim it back but I'm still waiting for my last tax refund (filed in 2019).

To me, the biggest aspect that made me go back to Canada is people. I always felt like an outsider, always felt like didn't belong and people are generally speaking colder than in other places I've lived in (namely, the UK and the US, for instance).

After living in Canada, if you're not Canadian, it doesn't matter. YOU CAN BECOME CANADIAN, you can feel part of the country and because it is a country of high immigration, organisations, government and people are prepared and aware on how to deal with you.

Sure, quality of life is much higher in Germany than in the UK for example. You have healthcare, beautiful cities and historic towns everywhere. But to be honest, it is much harder to adapt to life in Germany than in Canada and if you asked me time and time again whether I regret leaving Germany, my answer will never change. I will NEVER EVER go back to Germany.
I lived and studied in Norway and I understand what you say. I had many german friends who left Germany for some reasons. I feel so pathetic for this guy who call us "clueless".

Reactions: RSub

Alysson

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2019

As someone who's lived in Canada, the UK and Germany + some other countries, I'd CHOOSE Canada ANYTIME, ANYDAY, EVERY DAY above all of them... Easy reasons:

In Germany, YOU'RE OUT OF LUCK. I was in Germany on a Blue Card, which is supposed to be super helpful, until you realise the backlog to become a PR is like 2 years (depending on where you live... it could take up to 3 years) and then if you want to become a citizen, you may need to renounce your other citizenships.

In Germany, many places (like some banks, credit card providers, cable/mobile services) can pick and choose to deal with you if you're from outside the EU. Sometimes they may accept you and sometimes they may reject you (regardless of where you come from, I've had Canadian and American friends that struggled to get credit cards).

In Germany, in many cities you have to wake up at 4 am and queue in the cold with every class of immigrant to get an appointment at the Auslanderbehörde (immigration office).

In Germany, you need to do life in German, so you either get with the programme or you're out. Learning German becomes a necessity, to me it was more of a nuisance.

In Germany, if you're single and working you will PAY a S#!T ton of taxes. Sometimes you may be able to claim it back but I'm still waiting for my last tax refund (filed in 2019).

To me, the biggest aspect that made me go back to Canada is people. I always felt like an outsider, always felt like didn't belong and people are generally speaking colder than in other places I've lived in (namely, the UK and the US, for instance).

After living in Canada, if you're not Canadian, it doesn't matter. YOU CAN BECOME CANADIAN, you can feel part of the country and because it is a country of high immigration, organisations, government and people are prepared and aware on how to deal with you.

Sure, quality of life is much higher in Germany than in the UK for example. You have healthcare, beautiful cities and historic towns everywhere. But to be honest, it is much harder to adapt to life in Germany than in Canada and if you asked me time and time again whether I regret leaving Germany, my answer will never change. I will NEVER EVER go back to Germany.
The new government plans to allow dual citizenship now.
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/new-german-government-to-permit-dual-nationality/

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
If it helps, my team in Vancouver had all the folks from Spain and one person from Peru. All could speak Spanish. I and a data scientist were odd one out. All I could hear was "Pero" "Pero"... It was fun. Then we hired a bunch of Russian ML scientists and it became an all english team.
Wow, so many scientists doing science stuff.

D

Deleted member 1050918

None of my friends encountered any of those you mentioned so I believe it had to do with you. My friends went to top EU countries as skilled professionals in top notch jobs with good paychecks. They had proper education and credentials with strong command of spoken English. Looks like your circumstances were different. I also have Canadian friends who left Canada for EU/US for better job prospects.

The part I bolded is probably why all Indian/Chinese people here attack any option other than Canada; you have an idea that you'll attain a high level of social integration in Canada and even believe that "you can become Canadian" (like that dkab dude; you guys are no different). That's false. Just like in most other developed countries, your job prospects will be similar to citizens', but in social life you won't be any more Canadian that you could've become German in Germany or Swiss in Switzerland. I know I'll get shit for saying this but it's what it is. Yeah you will be at parties, concerts etc but you won't be in those inner social circles. I saw that eastern Europeans and some South Americans can dodge this treatment but personally, I haven't seen a single Indian or Chinese/Asian immigrant (that's not born in Canada) in my Canadian friend circles. This gets worse for you if you're not in left-leaning provinces; try to "become Canadian" in Alberta, good luck with that. Now I'm sure you have stories how your so and so friend had many Canadian friends.

Anyway, looks like you need to see for yourself. I've just been trying to share info for those who are fortunate enough to have options and the luxury to decide where they wanna go. If your only option is Canada then I don't know why you'd even read what I share here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: novascotia27

tnytny

Oct 13, 2020
None of my friends encountered any of those you mentioned so I believe it had to do with you. My friends went to top EU countries as skilled professionals in top notch jobs with good paychecks. They had proper education and credentials with strong command of spoken English. Looks like your circumstances were different. I also have Canadian friends who left Canada for EU/US for better job prospects.

The part I bolded is probably why all Indian/Chinese people here attack any option other than Canada; you have an idea that you'll attain a high level of social integration in Canada and even believe that "you can become Canadian" (like that dkab dude; you guys are no different). That's false. Just like in most other developed countries, your job prospects will be similar to citizens', but in social life you won't be any more Canadian that you could've become German in Germany or Swiss in Switzerland. I know I'll get shit for saying this but it's what it is. Yeah you will be at parties, concerts etc but you won't be in those inner social circles. I saw that eastern Europeans and some South Americans can dodge this treatment but personally, I haven't seen a single Indian or Chinese/Asian immigrant (that's not born in Canada) in my Canadian friend circles. This gets worse for you if you're not in left-leaning provinces; try to "become Canadian" in Alberta, good luck with that. Now I'm sure you have stories how your so and so friend had many Canadian friends.

Anyway, looks like you need to see for yourself. I've just been trying to share info for those who are fortunate enough to have options and the luxury to decide where they wanna go. If your only option is Canada then I don't know why you'd even read what I share here.
I have an Ivy Undergrad from the US, a masters and a PhD from the UK. I'm a white, male South African/Australian, pretty much the living embodiment of white privilege. I'm a native English Speaker and a physicist by trade.

I grew up in the US and Canada. Only lived in developing countries as a teenager due to parents' jobs. So I can definitely feel more Canadian than German but even though I lived over 8 years in the UK, I don't feel British at all.

Just as an FYI in order to get a blue card, you need to be paid at least 1.5 the average salary and I still own my flat in Berlin. So it is not like I was having a shitty life. It's simply a matter of perspective. Germany was as an option, just like Canada... I felt I just had a nice standard/quality of life in Germany vs. having that and more of a vibrant diverse social life in Canada + I love having my friends in the US close by.

Again, a matter of perspective. For both Germany and Canada, I can definitely say "been there, done that". Canada is home, to me. Germany isn't. People are free to choose wherever they want to go and to each their own, you know. If you want to go to the EU, Germany is not a bad choice. It just wasn't for me.

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018

The part I bolded is probably why all Indian/Chinese people here attack any option other than Canada; you have an idea that you'll attain a high level of social integration in Canada and even believe that "you can become Canadian" (like that dkab dude; you guys are no different). That's false. Just like in most other developed countries, your job prospects will be similar to citizens', but in social life you won't be any more Canadian that you could've become German in Germany or Swiss in Switzerland. I know I'll get shit for saying this but it's what it is. Yeah you will be at parties, concerts etc but you won't be in those inner social circles. I saw that eastern Europeans and some South Americans can dodge this treatment but personally, I haven't seen a single Indian or Chinese/Asian immigrant (that's not born in Canada) in my Canadian friend circles. This gets worse for you if you're not in left-leaning provinces; try to "become Canadian" in Alberta, good luck with that.

The simple fact is you can get a permanent residence visa of Canada sitting at home with a straightforward path to citizenship, no other country is offering that right now which is why many people are choosing to move to Canada. Even that 400,000 immigrants/year thing of Germany is for a work visa only and the path to permanent residence and eventual citizenship is a long one. Let me know if any EU country has an FSW-like program that is offering PR while sitting at home, I will even commit to learning the language and forget about my PR application to Canada.

Marco Mendicino

Star Member
Nov 25, 2021
Ottawa
NOC Code......
I have an Ivy Undergrad from the US, a masters and a PhD from the UK. I'm a white, male South African/Australian, pretty much the living embodiment of white privilege. I'm a native English Speaker and a physicist by trade.

I grew up in the US and Canada. Only lived in developing countries as a teenager due to parents' jobs. So I can definitely feel more Canadian than German but even though I lived over 8 years in the UK, I don't feel British at all.

Just as an FYI in order to get a blue card, you need to be paid at least 1.5 the average salary and I still own my flat in Berlin. So it is not like I was having a shitty life. It's simply a matter of perspective. Germany was as an option, just like Canada... I felt I just had a nice standard/quality of life in Germany vs. having that and more of a vibrant diverse social life in Canada + I love having my friends in the US close by.

Again, a matter of perspective. For both Germany and Canada, I can definitely say "been there, done that". Canada is home, to me. Germany isn't. People are free to choose wherever they want to go and to each their own, you know. If you want to go to the EU, Germany is not a bad choice. It just wasn't for me.
Happy to have you in Canada! Sound like a very interesting person to have a beer with with your positivity

• Haha
Reactions: RSub and Jaycejay
D

Deleted member 1050918

The simple fact is you can get a permanent residence visa of Canada sitting at home with a straightforward path to citizenship, no other country is offering that right now which is why many people are choosing to move to Canada. Even that 400,000 immigrants/year thing of Germany is for a work visa only and the path to permanent residence and eventual citizenship is a long one. Let me know if any EU country has an FSW-like program that is offering PR while sitting at home, I will even commit to learning the language and forget about my PR application to Canada.
No other country offers something like FSW; nothing beats the convenience of FSW. I don't know how many times I need to make this point but FSW seems to be dead so it may be time to look for something else. It's not hard to understand what I'm saying dude. If FSW is alive, good, go for it because it's the best. If FSW is dead (post 2020), Canada is one of the worst options out there.

Agreed; matter of perspective and choice. But sorry, if you're posting on an immigration forum while holding an Ivy degree and UK PhD, you're either really crazy or just bullshitting. With those qualifications you claim to have, it would take you days (not even weeks) to find a job in Canada and follow the CEC route. I'm not even gonna talk about the career you'd have in the US; you wouldn't even know Canada exists. Yet you're an FSW-O. So yeah, either you really suck at planning or are just BSing. Never seen an Aussie, especially with such (claimed) credentials, so desperate to "become Canadian". Even if you really were such an interesting fella, being an Aussie and dying to be Canadian, those credentials would've gotten you that long ago.

If you're a living embodiment of white privilege, what the hell are you doing in Costa Rica? https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/october-2020-aor-join-here.704508/post-9558454 How did you even end up there with an Ivy BSc and UK PhD? Cool story dude

Last edited by a moderator:

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022

To be honest, for a hell lot of people here neither Canada not Germany is going to be home. And either country will be a huge step up in quality of life from their own native land. So... I can certainly see why some folks will love to take chances with Germany if Canadian immmigration is become more of an arse these days.

tusharn

Jul 29, 2021
Copied from Telegram Group:

Stream
- FSW-O
AOR - Mar 11, 2020
Upfront medicals - Nov 2, 2021
Remedical request - November 20
Medical passed - December 4, 2021
COR- Nigeria
Nationality- Nigerian
VO- Ottawa
PPR- December 14, 2021
Hello IRCC? Nov 2019 AOR here with everything passed along with remeds too! Give me PPR !!!! :D

Jaycejay

Champion Member
Jan 4, 2020
Category........
FSW
Fauci says Boosters are very effective against Omicron. It may be. But I am starting to think if fcukers are releasing this variant just to sell those booster vaccines. In the last two weeks so many noises about Omincron just sort of decreased now.
Possibly, we may never know what’s behind the scenes

Reactions: RSub

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
They're here giving me shit lol they really should be doing what you said. I've been sharing alternatives for those who are smart and started early to put alternatives in case FSW really becomes impossible (say without French) in 2022.
Yup, for pre-ITA folks, totally agree with what you are saying.