+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW application from Canada: need advice!!

kisunja

Star Member
Nov 2, 2008
Hi all,
I am an intern'l student in Canada, applying for FSW. I really need your advice!
1.I am filling the forms now, and see that they ask you which consulate you want to apply to. Am I actually chosen where Sydney will send my documents? If yes, which american consulate proved to be the quickest?
2. I am working under a temporary contract, ending Dec 2009 - would they still ask me for proof of funds?
Is it ok to put a lower amount now, but say that I will have enough in four months (and show offer of employment)?
3. Question about medicals: do imm. officers actually verify the information you provide at medicals? Do they phone your GP/clinic and ask how healthy you are? Can they access my tax return to see how much I filed under "medical expences"? Does anyone know how they verify this information?
Any answer is appreciated!!!

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The answer for the first question is : Buffalo NY visa office or the visa office serving your country of nationality there is no any other choice.

After you submit your simplified application to sydney nova scotia they will send a copy of your application electronically to buffalo NY or the visa office serving your country of nationality upon your choice that you have made at your simplified application. and they will send you a letter instruct you to send a copy of your application with all of the supporting documents to Buffalo NY or the visa office serving your country of nationality .

"Applications made by Temporary Foreign Workers or International Students who have resided legally in Canada for at least one year and are currently residing in Canada are to be submitted to the visa office in Buffalo, NY. or the visa office serving the applicant's country of nationality"

The source : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2008/ob089.asp

However, from what i see at the official statistics information, buffalo NY. might be faster in processing your application than the visa office serving your country of nationality , have a look at the link :

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/02a-skilled-fed.asp

The second question : if you are an international student, it means that your work permit is an off campus work permit which means nothing for supporting your documents in the immigration process (don't forget that according to immigration canada, your main reason of coming to canada is to study not to work, they give that kind of work permit just to let you get some experience from the canadain labor market and to cover some of your pocket expenses). they don't give any advantage to that kind of work permit for the immigration purposes.

"Your studies must be the main reason you are in Canada. If you are no longer a full-time student or do not maintain satisfactory academic results, you must return your work permit to a local Citizenship and Immigration Canada office."

The source : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

The third question : it appears that you don't know how do they proceed the medical checks, after you send your application, they will review your application and if everything is complete in your documents they will send you the medical test form stamped by the visa office to take it to the certified doctor here in canada (they will send you a paper include the addresses of the certified doctors at your area in canada) and then the doctor will do the checks and fill in the medical check form and send it (with the results) directly to the immigration department in ottawa which in turn will send it to the visa office that is processing your application. doctors don't make any decisions they only sent the results to the visa office which takes the decision upon your results. (in most cases it takes up to 4 months for your results to be recieved by Buffalo visa office from ottawa included the time of sending your results by the certified doctor to ottawa), and returning to your point the officers will only rely on the results of your medical test that they had received officially from the certified doctor, there is no any other source of information or access to your medical conditions information except of your medical check results received officially from the certified doctor.

Some important information :

If you choose Buffalo visa office , make sure that you will be living in canada legally during the required period of time for processing your application because if they start processing your application at buffalo and you leave canada permanently your application might be abandoned.

Good luck

kisunja

Star Member
Nov 2, 2008
professional 1, thank you SO MUCH for such a candid reply and explanations!
Q1 I thought I can choose embassies, because they asked about the interview location before (LA, Seatlle or Detroit). Good to know it is different!

Q2As for the off-campus work permit, thank you for the explanations well! I am finishing up my studies this summer, should be done in August. From what I understand, I am allowed to start working full-time on my off-campus WP during a break, and continue to do so until I get my postgrad WP.
If I switch to the post-grad WP in the 4 waiting months, and present it with the same temporary contract, would it allow me not to show proof of funds?

Q3. Again, good to know that they do not get information from elsewhere. I've got a major depression here in Canada, and whilst it is over, I am still afraid to be rendered inadmissible, because of the "excessive demand" paragraph (you never know how long a remission last ).
Do you think that if I admit that on the medical, but bring a psychatrist's letter stating that everything is under control, would it help me in any way?
again, I very appreciate your help!

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
first of all congratulation in advanced for your prospective graduation and post graduation work permit.

i have a comment on the interview locations, actually they designed the application forms in buffalo NY. certainly for people who reside in the united states not canada, and (by the way) they have included people who reside in canada. therefore, when they have put the preferences on the applications, they made it to meet the needs and situations for applicants who reside in the USA. for example, if you are asked for an interview, it will be proceeded inside canada at the nearest immigration department office to your area becuase you are already residing there.

for your second question : unfortunatly the answer is no because when you get your post graduation work permit alone, it will be nothing for the immigration purposes. you have to get a permanent employment contract not temporary in order to be excepted of showing a proof of funds. that is the only way (there is no any other way).

in regard to your third question : before i answer, i have a question for you ; do you have a medical card issued by the government which they issue for international students after 13 months from staying in canada ? because if you have such a card, it means that they were reporting all of your medical information on their records which have an access by all of the health institutions in canada.

if the answer is no (you don't have such a card), don't worry and forget everything about your medical treatment completely and don't tell anything to the doctor and again don't tell anything of these information to the doctor and answer nooooooooooo for every question in that regard.

kisunja

Star Member
Nov 2, 2008
Professional 1,
Thank you very much for clarifications regarding employment and AEO!
I just PM'ed you a question regarding medicals.
I very appreciate your time!

64beginnings

Jan 23, 2012
I beg to disagree. The designated medical professional will ask all the medications that you are taking. If you do not admit that you are taking an anti-depressant, that will be misrepresentation - concealment of material facts. You signed a document while you were in the designated medical practitioner authorizing all doctors and hospitals to realease your medical records. I hope they don't find out the truth.