+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW 2014 applicants from Nigeria - Let's network

Dr. Tario

Star Member
Oct 25, 2015
Toyy said:
Hi all.

pls do i need to send any documents thru courier for the EE FSW

Guess everything is electronic with the EE. Please read through the website again and also the EE thread. Cheers

Ed_b_good

Sep 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-05-2014
Nomination.....
08-09-2014
Med's Request
04-02-2015
Med's Done....
17-02-2015
Passport Req..
16-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-07-2015
LANDED..........
29-07-2015
Congratulations CHARMBELLE on your new baby and the PPR, it will end in praise.

CHARMBELLE said:
Good morning all,

To the glory of God,I would like to announce good news received yesterday morning,I believe this will serve as a ray of hope for all that are yet to receive any form of update since the slow processing is being experienced.

I received passport request for my entire family on the 12th of August 2015,but "fortunately" my wife was 39weeks pregnant as at that time.I had to write to inform AVO and inquire if I should still go ahead to send our passports considering my wife's condition.I did not get any reponse within the first week,I had to send our Passports along with other documents requested only for AVO to call later that day;the lady was quite friendly,she asked the EDD I mentioned to her she advised that I should inform AVO as soon as my wife puts to bed.Also, she requested to know if they should return our passport pending on when my wife delivers and MEDICALS sent for my new born child.I guess you already know my reponse(I asked that they keep the passports).
My wife delivered the following week,I informed AVO and within 3 days a list of documents for my new addition was resquested,after sending the docs,my baby's medical request was received the within 3days,medical was done on the 10th of September..But there was no news just like everyone else expecting an update within that period and January 2016.However, I had to write to remind AVO sometime in December that my entire family's passport is in their possession and Iam yet to get an update from them haven completed my new addition's medical in September;there was no response from AVO until Yesterday at 11.41am the mail arrived asking me to submit my daughter's valid passports within 10days...
The lesson here is that, being pregnant does not prevent you from carrying out your medicals and patience is a powerful tool to achieving your desires..."For everyone who is yet to receive an update this is your season AVO is still in the business of issuing Medical requests and PPRs as the case maybe"It will certainly end in PRAISE. :D

XCEXX

Star Member
Nov 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2014
Nomination.....
10-12-2014
Pipis Husband said:
Hello all, this post is culled from the `Nigerian applicant` thread. It`s pasted here for all to begin to mentally prepare for the journey ahead.

Hi guys... been away for almost a year now.

I don’t mean to sound like a broken record just in case someone has touched on this topic before; but I doubt if the knowledge would harm anyone.

A good friend of mine planning on landing in Canada asked for my honest opinion of how it has been for us since we landed just over a year ago. I can honestly understand where this question is coming from. Plucking your family and life style from the relative secure known of living in Lagos and shipping off to the great unknown of Canada can be quite daunting. What makes it worse is that no one seems to give an honest account of what really goes on. You tend to get responses like "it's ok" or "God has been faithful". Personally, such responses frighten the hell out of me. Thank God for threads and forums like this.

I have a friend of mine who just moved with his family from 9ja to Calgary here, back in September 2015. My guy came to Canada with no illusions; he landed alone (his family came 2 weeks after him). He stayed at my place for 2-3 days, rented a decent budget home close to downtown (I will talk about budget later), moved in and got a job at Walmart a week later (his reasoning - it doesn't make sense to spend his savings in Naira on dollarized items, he needed to earn dollars). Just before his family landed, he got certified as a security personnel (Security guys earn fair amount with relative little input as compared to a Walmart job... lol and if you are lucky to be on night shift, you have enough time to read for your exams). All these while he searches for a job in line with his previous work experience. Did I forget to tell you that my guy is an IT professional with almost 15 years of experience in the Nigeria's financial sector. The man has worked for the biggest banking brands in Nigeria.

Yesterday, he joked about a conversation he had with a Canadian woman who he happened to have had dealings in Nigeria. The Canadian lady is conversant with Nigeria having trained IT professionals in Lagos on numerous occasions. The lady told him to be open minded in his search for a job; take any job; anywhere in Canada; that he should leave his family and go if necessary. But he should bear in mind that he would most likely be sacked before 3 months. He shouldn't take it personal; that most Nigerians struggle because of the difference in work cultures (I'd talk about the Canadian work culture, also later). We all laughed because he got sacked from Walmart exactly 3 months into the job. He currently works with his security licence and is studying for his professional exams. The beauty of this story is that my guy now has Canadian work experience - which so invaluable over here.

Most immigrants here, whether they tell you or not, worked in "transition" jobs for about 6 months to 1 year before getting that job similar to what they were doing back home. On the average, it takes between 2-3 years to get back to the job status at which you were before you landed in Canada. Once you get there, there's no turning back. It's really bliss from there on. Personally, I think the 2-3 years is worth it anytime, any day. There are very few societies that give you the opportunities, peace of mind and security.. I am yet to meet a Permanent Resident who regrets being in Canada.

If you are thinking of coming to Canada, please come with a similar mindset to that of my good friend; else you will be quite disappointed. Those dream jobs are not lined on the street on Canada. Yes, I know a couple of guys that got great jobs within weeks of landing - I tell conveniently tell you that those are the exception.

Plan. I can't overemphasize this enough. Plan, plan, plan.

Plan for employment upgrading programmes, certifications et al;

Plan for your drivers license; plan to buy a car. This is a must; don't even think you can do without it. Luckily, there are auctions around where you can get a good vehicle for between $1,000 - $3,000 CAD. I'm talking about 2002 to 2006 models. Please just buy it even if the intention is to use it till you settle down. My advise is to go for Japanese, Toyota or Honda; so you send home to 9ja after you have finished with it (or bought that range rover as a replacement) and make your money back Tongue Tongue Tongue. Another friend of mind was lucky to buy a 2008 Toyota Sienna - full options - for less than $5,000. Again, these are the exceptions. You can also shop for cars on Kijiji.com

Talking about kijiji; you can practically get your furniture free on kijiji. You just have to look hard. My advise again based on experience; don't start acquiring too much junk before you move to your own house (yeah, owning your house is possible with only 6 months into your job). Moving can be stressful.

Plan your budget.

So I advise, plan now and be focused. Reach out and maintain contact with landed persons who have positive outlook and not those who will dampen your spirit. Remember, birds of a feather flock together :)
Thank you PH for this insight.....Bottom line : Plan, Network and be focused!!!!!

XCEXX

Star Member
Nov 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2014
Nomination.....
10-12-2014
I like to appreciate er'one for their best wishes on my Visa. May yours come soonest IJN

XCEXX

Star Member
Nov 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2014
Nomination.....
10-12-2014
Copied from another thread "NIGERIA APPLICANT PLEASE LET US NETWORK" posted by CHUKA2003 ..Sorry for the plagiarism 8)
Apologies if this has been posted here before

I believe this gives a great insight into expenses on an average. It is still all about planning and planning. These are the figures behind your POF.

Hi guys,

I just thought that I should share what my monthly budget is; just to give you an idea of what to expect in monetary terms. Please note that this is not cast in stone. Depending on how deep your pocket is, you can either go higher or lower.

I stay in Calgary; Calgary is comparatively more expensive to live in than say, a Saint John's and likewise, it's cheaper (I heard, I can't at the moment confirm but someone can correct me if otherwise) than a Toronto. That said, in Calgary - save for this crude oil price crisis - you tend to earn more than a resident of Saint John's. Whatever the case, your total expected family income will most definitely take care of your needs. Like I said in my earlier post, you will need to plan, plan, plan. Here's my budget. I hope it aids in your planning process

SN Cost Item Monthly Amount (CAD$)
1 Rent of 2 Bedroom Condo Apartment (All Utilities Inclusive) $1,400.00
2 Daycare/Afterschool care for 1 Preschooler and 1 Kindergarten kid from 7am to 5.45pm (After Government Subsidy) $600.00
3 Monthly Transport Pass. You will need two when you first land (This amount drops to $40 after you file as low income) $100.00
4 Feeding and other related expenses for a family of 4 $500.00
5 Cable TV, Internet & Landline (Shaw) $65.00
6 2 nos of Wind Mobile Phone Subscription (Unlimited Canada-Wide Voice, SMS and Data) $86.00
7 YMCA Family Centre Registration (Family has access to gym, swimming pool, swimming classes and other sport activities) $30.00
8 Fuel (Gas for your car) $100.00
9 Car Insurance $85.00
Monthly Total CAD $2,966.00
Annual Total CAD $35,592.00

Budget somewhere around CAD$1,000 for the following;
TV (unless you want restless children that will make you regret leaving Nigeria)
Pots (16 piece set)
Plates and mugs (set of 4)
Kids plates, spoons and cups
Vacuum Cleaner
Deep Fryer
Toaster
House Phone box

It can be saddening realizing that you had all these stuff in Nigeria and you now have to buy them all again. Hmmmm... and this brings me to another topic.

Sell everything you have in Nigeria. Don't think about giving them out; the government of Canada is not going to replace all those stuff. Sell 'em and keep the money to use to replace them when you get here.

One last missing piece; plan for your car; very important. Like I said in my earlier post, you can get a good vehicle for between $1,000 - $3,000 CAD at a local auction. Shine your eye sha... this is Canada, not heaven. There are still some funny characters here who might want to pull a fast one. Best to go along with an older landed 9ja person. Japanese is the way; better resale value here in Canada and back home in Nigeria. My plan is to use a good Japanese car, preferably a Honda or Toyota for about 2-3 years then ship it to 9ja as "tokunbo". I can guarantee that you will make your initial capital back (in dollars) even after enjoying the car for 3 years. No one advised me better when I got here and I ended up with a Mazda - a great car but more expensive than I would have wanted - and i definitely can't get value for it here or in 9ja after 3 years.

Stuff like beds; you can get those free through your local immigration services; they referred us to SleepCountry (their version of Mouka Foam) and we got 2 free matresss and bed sets. You can actually get up to 4 sets (depending on your family size). Furniture is easy; just actively search on kijiji, you will definitely find those free. Don't acquire too much stuff or else you will regret when trying to move or dispose of them (you have to pay to dispose furniture and appliances; that's why people advertise to give out their things free of charge, else they have to pay to dispose 'em).

Plan, plan, plan... i can't overemphasize enough!!!!

chuka2003

Sep 28, 2014
Lagos
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
19-08-2013
Med's Request
03-09-2014
Med's Done....
12-09-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2014
LANDED..........
10-12-2014
XCEXX said:
Copied from another thread "NIGERIA APPLICANT PLEASE LET US NETWORK" posted by CHUKA2003 ..Sorry for the plagiarism 8)
Apologies if this has been posted here before

I believe this gives a great insight into expenses on an average. It is still all about planning and planning. These are the figures behind your POF.

Hi guys,

I just thought that I should share what my monthly budget is; just to give you an idea of what to expect in monetary terms. Please note that this is not cast in stone. Depending on how deep your pocket is, you can either go higher or lower.

I stay in Calgary; Calgary is comparatively more expensive to live in than say, a Saint John's and likewise, it's cheaper (I heard, I can't at the moment confirm but someone can correct me if otherwise) than a Toronto. That said, in Calgary - save for this crude oil price crisis - you tend to earn more than a resident of Saint John's. Whatever the case, your total expected family income will most definitely take care of your needs. Like I said in my earlier post, you will need to plan, plan, plan. Here's my budget. I hope it aids in your planning process

SN Cost Item Monthly Amount (CAD$)
1 Rent of 2 Bedroom Condo Apartment (All Utilities Inclusive) $1,400.00
2 Daycare/Afterschool care for 1 Preschooler and 1 Kindergarten kid from 7am to 5.45pm (After Government Subsidy) $600.00
3 Monthly Transport Pass. You will need two when you first land (This amount drops to $40 after you file as low income) $100.00
4 Feeding and other related expenses for a family of 4 $500.00
5 Cable TV, Internet & Landline (Shaw) $65.00
6 2 nos of Wind Mobile Phone Subscription (Unlimited Canada-Wide Voice, SMS and Data) $86.00
7 YMCA Family Centre Registration (Family has access to gym, swimming pool, swimming classes and other sport activities) $30.00
8 Fuel (Gas for your car) $100.00
9 Car Insurance $85.00
Monthly Total CAD $2,966.00
Annual Total CAD $35,592.00

Budget somewhere around CAD$1,000 for the following;
TV (unless you want restless children that will make you regret leaving Nigeria)
Pots (16 piece set)
Plates and mugs (set of 4)
Kids plates, spoons and cups
Vacuum Cleaner
Deep Fryer
Toaster
House Phone box

It can be saddening realizing that you had all these stuff in Nigeria and you now have to buy them all again. Hmmmm... and this brings me to another topic.

Sell everything you have in Nigeria. Don't think about giving them out; the government of Canada is not going to replace all those stuff. Sell 'em and keep the money to use to replace them when you get here.

One last missing piece; plan for your car; very important. Like I said in my earlier post, you can get a good vehicle for between $1,000 - $3,000 CAD at a local auction. Shine your eye sha... this is Canada, not heaven. There are still some funny characters here who might want to pull a fast one. Best to go along with an older landed 9ja person. Japanese is the way; better resale value here in Canada and back home in Nigeria. My plan is to use a good Japanese car, preferably a Honda or Toyota for about 2-3 years then ship it to 9ja as "tokunbo". I can guarantee that you will make your initial capital back (in dollars) even after enjoying the car for 3 years. No one advised me better when I got here and I ended up with a Mazda - a great car but more expensive than I would have wanted - and i definitely can't get value for it here or in 9ja after 3 years.

Stuff like beds; you can get those free through your local immigration services; they referred us to SleepCountry (their version of Mouka Foam) and we got 2 free matresss and bed sets. You can actually get up to 4 sets (depending on your family size). Furniture is easy; just actively search on kijiji, you will definitely find those free. Don't acquire too much stuff or else you will regret when trying to move or dispose of them (you have to pay to dispose furniture and appliances; that's why people advertise to give out their things free of charge, else they have to pay to dispose 'em).

Plan, plan, plan... i can't overemphasize enough!!!!
lol... it's ok @ xcexx. we need to get this out there no matter how. I wish i had this info just before i landed.

CalgaryChic

Aug 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
Sent with App
Med's Done....
30/07/2015
Good Morning All. My husband's uncle in Calgary just sent me a text that the government has just made an announcement to resume processing all outstanding applications. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hopes high. Our expectations will not be cut short IJMN.

Silverblade

Nov 26, 2014
Calgary, Nigeria
Visa Office......
[color=purple][b]Accra[/b][/color]
NOC Code......
[color=purple][b]1224[/b][/color]
App. Filed.......
[color=purple][b]25:11:2014[/b][/color]
Nomination.....
[color=purple][b]CC: 20:01:2015[/b][/color]
AOR Received.
[color=purple][b]PER: 12:02:2015[/b][/color]
IELTS Request
[color=purple][b]Submitted[/b][/color]
Med's Request
[color=purple][b]08:09:2015[/b][/color]
Med's Done....
[color=purple][b]14:09:2015[/b][/color]
Interview........
[color=purple][b]NA[/b][/color]
Passport Req..
[color=purple][b]24:03:2016[/b][/color]
VISA ISSUED...
[color=purple][b]07:04:2016[/b][/color]
LANDED..........
[color=purple][b]03:09:2016[/b][/color]
Please CalgaryChic can U confirm which particular outstanding applications, cos i am aware that the AINP has also been on pause for a while now, which i'm sure forumites might not be part of.

CalgaryChic said:
Good Morning All. My husband's uncle in Calgary just sent me a text that the government has just made an announcement to resume processing all outstanding applications. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hopes high. Our expectations will not be cut short IJMN.

esttycan14

Nov 14, 2014
Lagos
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/11/2014 from PER info
Doc's Request.
All is well
Nomination.....
03/02/2015
AOR Received.
All is well
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
All is well
Med's Request
24/07/2015
Med's Done....
28/07/2015
Interview........
Waived by God's grace
Passport Req..
26/02/2016
VISA ISSUED...
09/03/2016
LANDED..........
01/06/2016
Congratulations!!!!

CHARMBELLE said:
Good morning all,

To the glory of God,I would like to announce good news received yesterday morning,I believe this will serve as a ray of hope for all that are yet to receive any form of update since the slow processing is being experienced.

I received passport request for my entire family on the 12th of August 2015,but "fortunately" my wife was 39weeks pregnant as at that time.I had to write to inform AVO and inquire if I should still go ahead to send our passports considering my wife's condition.I did not get any reponse within the first week,I had to send our Passports along with other documents requested only for AVO to call later that day;the lady was quite friendly,she asked the EDD I mentioned to her she advised that I should inform AVO as soon as my wife puts to bed.Also, she requested to know if they should return our passport pending on when my wife delivers and MEDICALS sent for my new born child.I guess you already know my reponse(I asked that they keep the passports).
My wife delivered the following week,I informed AVO and within 3 days a list of documents for my new addition was resquested,after sending the docs,my baby's medical request was received the within 3days,medical was done on the 10th of September..But there was no news just like everyone else expecting an update within that period and January 2016.However, I had to write to remind AVO sometime in December that my entire family's passport is in their possession and Iam yet to get an update from them haven completed my new addition's medical in September;there was no response from AVO until Yesterday at 11.41am the mail arrived asking me to submit my daughter's valid passports within 10days...
The lesson here is that, being pregnant does not prevent you from carrying out your medicals and patience is a powerful tool to achieving your desires..."For everyone who is yet to receive an update this is your season AVO is still in the business of issuing Medical requests and PPRs as the case maybe"It will certainly end in PRAISE. :D

Mabertia

Nov 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-11-2014
Med's Done....
07-09-2015
Passport Req..
21-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2016
LANDED..........
29-07-2016
I guess this was what her uncle-in-law was referring to..http://www.albertacanada.com/opportunity/immigrating/ainp-news.aspx.

Well dey wait for any positive news sha!

Silverblade said:
Please CalgaryChic can U confirm which particular outstanding applications, cos i am aware that the AINP has also been on pause for a while now, which i'm sure forumites might not be part of.

Pastor Daniel

Star Member
Oct 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-12-2014
CalgaryChic said:

It is well, let's all be positive.

XCEXX

Star Member
Nov 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2014
Nomination.....
10-12-2014
CalgaryChic said:
Pray that quick and positive response will come our ways!!!

Sisi mee

Star Member
Mar 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2014
Nomination.....
17-11-2014
Med's Request
19-05-2015
Med's Done....
26-05-2015
Passport Req..
02-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2016
Hello People,

Just thinking aloud my people. This waiting period is enough to make someone an analyst on immigration matters ;D. If i recall correctly PPR request reduced significantly toward the end of August 2015 and since then we have not seen up to 15 PPRs on this forum. Is is possible that people that chose Alberta as destination in their application had to be put on hold based on the infor on this link? .http://www.albertacanada.com/opportunity/immigrating/ainp-news.aspx. and they have resumed processing effective 27th Jan .

I stand to be corrected. I welcome other thots on this matter. As I hope to see AVO level of activity by Feb.

Pipis Husband

VIP Member
Aug 16, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2015
LANDED..........
06-06-2015
Sisi mee said:
Hello People,

Just thinking aloud my people. This waiting period is enough to make someone an analyst on immigration matters ;D. If i recall correctly PPR request reduced significantly toward the end of August 2015 and since then we have not seen up to 15 PPRs on this forum. Is is possible that people that chose Alberta as destination in their application had to be put on hold based on the infor on this link? .http://www.albertacanada.com/opportunity/immigrating/ainp-news.aspx. and they have resumed processing effective 27th Jan .

I stand to be corrected. I welcome other thots on this matter
This AINP program is for only those already in Alberta on temporary visas and now being processed via Provincial nomination to PR status. It has nothing to do with FSW 2014.