+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

French rejected PEQ - Concordia Level 6

jtndsh

Dec 11, 2017
Hello,

I had recently applied for PEQ with french results from Concordia. I had taken level 5 and 6 and score 73 and 74.
I was called for an interview. Yesterday I received a letter - Intend to reject stating that after the interview they think I am level 5.

They also asked to submit further documents that would help me to prove my french level within next 20 days.

The time is too short for me to do any other french test to prove my french level.
Right now I am thinking of going to Concordia and see if they can provide me more documents.

Any one of you or your friends had similar experience. It would help me out a lot. Thank you!

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
Hello,

I had recently applied for PEQ with french results from Concordia. I had taken level 5 and 6 and score 73 and 74.
I was called for an interview. Yesterday I received a letter - Intend to reject stating that after the interview they think I am level 5.

They also asked to submit further documents that would help me to prove my french level within next 20 days.

The time is too short for me to do any other french test to prove my french level.
Right now I am thinking of going to Concordia and see if they can provide me more documents.

Any one of you or your friends had similar experience. It would help me out a lot. Thank you!
I guess score has nothing to do with your interview call. MIDI is only targetting Chinese, Indians and Middle
Eastern applicants.

20 days is very short window. Only option is if you can clear the tefaq or tcf exam during this period. Don't sit
at Point3 or Canada college.

I hope they haven't given you a 5 year misrepresentation bar.

Also before enrolling at concordia where did you attend the french course?

All the best.

Reactions: jtndsh

jtndsh

Dec 11, 2017
I guess score has nothing to do with your interview call. MIDI is only targetting Chinese, Indians and Middle
Eastern applicants.

20 days is very short window. Only option is if you can clear the tefaq or tcf exam during this period. Don't sit
at Point3 or Canada college.

I hope they haven't given you a 5 year misrepresentation bar.

Also before enrolling at concordia where did you attend the french course?

All the best.
Thank you for responding! :)

The issue is the time. As its December, I can only write the TEFAQ in Jan and get the results by end of Jan. So I would probably need to send another application as I will have to cross the 20 days time period they gave me. And hopefully they dont give the 5 years ban for my first application.

I will be going to Concordia today noon to see if they can help with more documents. Doesn't make sense to me why I need Concordia certificate and also have to take TEFAQ exam.

Before Concordia, I was at a french school called ENAC for my masters.

Thank you!

Reactions: Immstu

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
Thank you for responding! :)

The issue is the time. As its December, I can only write the TEFAQ in Jan and get the results by end of Jan. So I would probably need to send another application as I will have to cross the 20 days time period they gave me. And hopefully they dont give the 5 years ban for my first application.

I will be going to Concordia today noon to see if they can help with more documents. Doesn't make sense to me why I need Concordia certificate and also have to take TEFAQ exam.

Before Concordia, I was at a french school called ENAC for my masters.

Thank you!
Yes you are in tight timeline. Try getting an extension from Midi if possible. 20 days sounds they know it's impossible.

MIDI could have asked for Concordia documents directly, they are wasting your time.

So if I understand it correctly you did till level 4 from ENAC and then went to Concordia level 5 directly after clearing
the placement test?

All the best buddy. Please keep us updated here of your outcome. If you don't mind can you share your nationality here?
My guess is either Indian, Chinese or Iranian

s4bs94

Star Member
Nov 21, 2017
I believe I'm noticing another trend here, people who apply for the PEQ under the skilled worker category seem to be getting called in for interviews more than applicants who are applying via the post-graduate category.

@jtndsh, I'm guessing this is your case?

Varun.nurav13

Star Member
Sep 20, 2017
They are pretty much calling everyone from Indian Chinese or Iranian Background
its better only to do tefaq but still its doesnt sure nothing as they stupid midi can lower you grade
so do ur best and hope for the best

s4bs94

Star Member
Nov 21, 2017
They are pretty much calling everyone from Indian Chinese or Iranian Background
its better only to do tefaq but still its doesnt sure nothing as they stupid midi can lower you grade
so do ur best and hope for the best
I don't think this is true. I am Indian myself and know a bunch of Chinese, Indians, and Pakistanis who are fellow McGill graduates and applied for the CSQ through the PEQ program. None of them were called in for an interview and used the McGill french course as proof of B2 French proficiency. I think it's a combination of the kind of application (worker vs postgrad), the school you went to, and where the french courses were taken. It's a little absurd to play the victim card when there is clear fraud going on and Quebec is trying to crack down on it.

Varun.nurav13

Star Member
Sep 20, 2017
Well thats your view i got csq via skilled worker and none of my friends who was in skilled worker categories were called for interview but at that time all international graduate were called for interview.
And those we go to concordia or jade college doesn't mean they cannot pass mc gill b2 exam its just cause is so expensive
People do to their feasibility

s4bs94

Star Member
Nov 21, 2017
Well thats your view i got csq via skilled worker and none of my friends who was in skilled worker categories were called for interview but at that time all international graduate were called for interview.
And those we go to concordia or jade college doesn't mean they cannot pass mc gill b2 exam its just cause is so expensive
People do to their feasibility
When did you apply for your PEQ? If it was around when the sham schools were just starting to be cracked down upon then it makes sense you weren’t called in as a skilled worker applicant.

Also the McGill course is one of the cheapest, it costs 400 dollars (subsidized by Quebec government) for 6 credits and you go up an entire level. The only thing is that you need to be enrolled as a McGill undergrad or grad student. If you do the continuing education course then that’s when it is way pricier.

I spoke with a couple of immigration lawyers and none of them have experienced a McGill graduate being called in for an interview, believe it or not chances are that many of those Concordia or Jade students couldn’t pass the McGill B2 exams which is exactly why the Quebec government doesn’t give McGill students a hard time.

Reactions: goodboy97

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
When did you apply for your PEQ? If it was around when the sham schools were just starting to be cracked down upon then it makes sense you weren’t called in as a skilled worker applicant.

Also the McGill course is one of the cheapest, it costs 400 dollars (subsidized by Quebec government) for 6 credits and you go up an entire level. The only thing is that you need to be enrolled as a McGill undergrad or grad student. If you do the continuing education course then that’s when it is way pricier.

I spoke with a couple of immigration lawyers and none of them have experienced a McGill graduate being called in for an interview, believe it or not chances are that many of those Concordia or Jade students couldn’t pass the McGill B2 exams which is exactly why the Quebec government doesn’t give McGill students a hard time.
In the chinese website quebecpeq.com (translate it to english, not a good translation but you can make out easily) there are instances of McGill students also being called for interview. So has been the case of some other Uni's also. McGill is not the Harvard of French in comparison to any other Uni in Quebec. Maximum emphasis of MIDI is on vocational schools imparting french education. In the same website you can make out the maximum affected are Chinese and a comparatively small %age is of Indians, Middle Easterns etc. David Chalk the lawyer who's defending such students is representing almost all the Chinese. On the same note let's not deny the fact that spoken part of Chinese be it English or French needs lot of work because of their heavy accent, whereas other nationalities are little better placed than them.

I guess you are enrolled at McGill.

Varun.nurav13

Star Member
Sep 20, 2017
i dont want to compare concordia or mc gill french
If a person can do from jade he can also do from mc gill to doesnt mean if a person do from jade he learn nothing
You need to understand a thing most of people pass b2 on basis of grammer and listining but midi only evaluate only speaking
I hope i make my point clear

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
i dont want to compare concordia or mc gill french
If a person can do from jade he can also do from mc gill to doesnt mean if a person do from jade he learn nothing
You need to understand a thing most of people pass b2 on basis of grammer and listining but midi only evaluate only speaking
I hope i make my point clear
There are strong chances that MIDI's decision will be reversed by Quebec Supreme Court in Feb/March 2018.

MIDI should penalize test centres who violate the rules rather than students. Their approach is flawed.

As to Concordi, McGill, Jade, EMBS, LBP etc...who's better ...you are right as this is most non-sensical talk.

Reactions: Varun.nurav13

Varun.nurav13

Star Member
Sep 20, 2017
There are strong chances that MIDI's decision will be reversed by Quebec Supreme Court in Feb/March 2018.

MIDI should penalize test centres who violate the rules rather than students. Their approach is flawed.

As to Concordi, McGill, Jade, EMBS, LBP etc...who's better ...you are right as this is most non-sensical talk.
I am happy at least you understand and best of luck for you french class I hope all go good for you . :)

rhamid6

Jul 4, 2018
I got my refusal intention letter two month ago...(still waiting for the official letter) I have decided to take TEFAQ exam and apply again for PEQ. My question is does anyone have the same experience? I didn't find in the MIDI website that we can apply multiple time for PEQ.

YPal

Star Member
Mar 19, 2011
I had a question. I am applying to Concordia for my PhD. If I get admitted, can I study a PEQ eligible French course at the same time? Or can I ask them to let me study the French course before commencing my studies?

From what I understand the PEQ course can be in various fields including French but one has to show a proficiency in French at B2 level at the time. Have I understood correctly? If not how does it work? Will appreciate any advice.

Last edited: