+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

former refugee, now a Canadian citizen being sent to a secondary screening every time coming back to Canada

fedexfc

Apr 1, 2021
Hi, I am a former refugee, being granted a convention refugee status in 2014. I have become a Canadian citizen last year and already got a Canadian passport. Since I become a Canadian citizen, I've noticed that every time I come back to Canada from travelling abroad I was sent to a secondary screening at Canadian airports. My job requires me to travel a lot. It is not the big issue if my arrival flights land in Vancouver airport which is my home airport. Nevertheless, when I land at other Canadian airports from abroad connecting a domestic flight to Vancouver, this is a big issue because being sent to an unreasonable secondary screening vevery time resulted in me missing connecting flights back to Vancouver. All the immigration officers at Vancouver,Toronto and Montreal airports told me that I don't have other issues besides making a refugee claim in 2014 which triggered an inactive deportation notice. They all told me that this should be stopped since I've already become a Canadian citizen. I should not be sent to a secondary screeing to inspect the travel document like when I still used the refugee travel document. Officers at the airports all suggested me to call IRCC. Once I called IRCC, they told me that this is not their responsibility, and told me to call Canada Border Services Agency ( CBSA ) to fix the issue. When I called CBSA they told me this is also not their responsibility, and told me to contact IRCC. This is so frustrated. What should I do next? Shoul I consider hiring a lawyer to sue?