Jul 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2011
My wife and I both currently live in the US. We lived in Canada for about 5 years, and while there she became a PR. I am a Canadian citizen. We've been living in the US for the past 4 years. We've visited a few times, but all while her Canadian PR card was valid and she still met the residency requirements. Now, her Canadian PR card is expired and she no longer meets the residency requirements. Will there be any issues for her just visiting Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She meets the residency requirement by virtue of having lived outside of Canada with you, her Canadian citizen spouse.

patrick91

Jul 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2011
Seriously? I did not know that.. Interesting.

So CBSA shouldn't try to start the process to revoke her PR upon entering Canada?

Is there anything we should bring to prove her status upon entering, like expired PR card or COPR?

Could she renew her PR card from outside Canada?

Thanks!

patrick91

Jul 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2011
What I'm mostly concerned about is whether or not she can just enter with her US passport, or if she would need a PRTD. I looked at the PRTD though and it seems like its for people who want to return to Canada and live.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
What I'm mostly concerned about is whether or not she can just enter with her US passport, or if she would need a PRTD. I looked at the PRTD though and it seems like its for people who want to return to Canada and live.
A PRTD is for anyone with valid PR status.

PR cards cannot be renewed outside of Canada; in lieu of that she’d need a PRTD.

How do you plan to enter Canada, plane, car, other?

patrick91

Jul 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2011
A PRTD is for anyone with valid PR status.

PR cards cannot be renewed outside of Canada; in lieu of that she’d need a PRTD.

How do you plan to enter Canada, plane, car, other?
We'll be entering by plane. What would happen at the border if she just showed up with her US passport? We're not completely sure whether we're going to get the PRTD or not.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
We'll be entering by plane. What would happen at the border if she just showed up with her US passport? We're not completely sure whether we're going to get the PRTD or not.
She doesn't need a PRTD. She will present herself as a PR, with her expired PR card and US passport. If CBSA questions the Residency Obligation, she can explain that she lives with her Canadian spouse. She won't have any issues.

patrick91

Jul 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2011
She doesn't need a PRTD. She will present herself as a PR, with her expired PR card and US passport. If CBSA questions the Residency Obligation, she can explain that she lives with her Canadian spouse. She won't have any issues.
Thanks for the info. Ideally this is what we'd like to do, it would be easiest. If that is the case though, why do they even offer long term multiple entry PRTD's? This is from canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship

What if I am living outside Canada on a long-term basis?

"Usually, PRTD counterfoils are issued for a single entry to Canada. However, you can request a long-term multiple entry PRTD if you:

• meet the residency obligation; and
  • are living outside Canada on a long-term basis (for example, if you are a permanent resident accompanying your Canadian citizen spouse).
Include a cover letter that explains your circumstances and requests a multiple entry PRTD.

Multiple entry PRTD’s cannot extend beyond the expiry date of your passport.

Once in Canada, you should apply for a PR Card using the application kit Applying for a Permanent Resident Card (IMM 5445)."

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the info. Ideally this is what we'd like to do, it would be easiest. If that is the case though, why do they even offer long term multiple entry PRTD's? This is from canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship

What if I am living outside Canada on a long-term basis?

"Usually, PRTD counterfoils are issued for a single entry to Canada. However, you can request a long-term multiple entry PRTD if you:

• meet the residency obligation; and
  • are living outside Canada on a long-term basis (for example, if you are a permanent resident accompanying your Canadian citizen spouse).
Include a cover letter that explains your circumstances and requests a multiple entry PRTD.

Multiple entry PRTD’s cannot extend beyond the expiry date of your passport.

Once in Canada, you should apply for a PR Card using the application kit Applying for a Permanent Resident Card (IMM 5445)."
PRs of every nationality except American require a PR card or PRTD to fly to Canada. Americans are the only ones who are both tax-exempt and visa-exempt and therefore benefit from the loophole of being able to travel to Canada on the strength of just their passport.

patrick91

Jul 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2011
PRs of every nationality except American require a PR card or PRTD to fly to Canada. Americans are the only ones who are both tax-exempt and visa-exempt and therefore benefit from the loophole of being able to travel to Canada on the strength of just their passport.
That makes me feel a lot better. I've seen around though that Canadian consulates in the US do issue PRTD's, would this only be for Canadian PR's who are living in the US and are not US citizens?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
That makes me feel a lot better. I've seen around though that Canadian consulates in the US do issue PRTD's, would this only be for Canadian PR's who are living in the US and are not US citizens?
And for Americans who don't know about the loophole.