+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Form imm0008_8e - query regarding point 5

Toronto2013

Jul 18, 2013
Hi! I was going through the form imm0008_8e.

1. Point no 5 is Your work experience in Canada. But it also asks one to write about past 3 years experience and mention NOC codes for that. I have only one year experience in Canada. Past two years were in India but similar job profile. Do I need to mention NOC code for India job as well? or is it applicable to only the job in Canada?

2. I read through the past replies in the forum and understand that NOC code mentioned on the WP is very important. I googled my NOC code and it is 4163. It is not exactly my role but I could relate to few points from the main duties on the HRSDC website for this NOC code. Under employment requirements,it is mentioned that -Certification as a certified economic developer (Ec.D.) may be required. I don't have this certificate and it is not relevant to me. So would it be a problem while applying for PR.

3. While requesting reference letters from my current and past employers, do I need to ensure that the main duties mentioned on the HRSDC website for this NOC code are mentioned in my letter?

Many thanks in advance.

sorrymontana

Apr 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-06-2013
AOR Received.
08-08-2013
Med's Request
12-02-2014
Med's Done....
21-02-2014
Passport Req..
03-03-2014
LANDED..........
03-16-2014
1. you only need to mention Canadian experience in point 5, form 008. Do not include your Indian experience in this form, there are other forms that ask about your whereabouts in Canada/outside Canada for the past 10 years.

2. if in doubt, the safest way would be to email HRSDS with the description of your job duties and ask them to determine your NOC code for you. That way you'll have proof of your NOC code. It may take time for them to reply. your job duties/qualifications do not have to be 100% like what they have in the NOC classification, because all workplaces are different. However, job duties should match for the most part. if it says this particular training "may be required" but not "is required", that means it's not a must. If you provide a detailed letter with your job duties from your employer, you should be safe.

3. You should ensure that most of the job duties are mentioned (like 80%), but - important- duties CANNOT be copied and pasted directly from the NOC website. Use different wording, add details specific to your workplace. E.g. When I wrote a letter for my employer to sign, my position is Education Coordinator, instead of "give presentations" I put something like "give informative talks to children/adults/ seniors in order to promote conservation and environmental education". The best is if you either give specific instructions to your employer on what needs to be on the letter or write it yourself, give them to proofread, and they'll add details about hours worked/money earned and sign.

Toronto2013

Jul 18, 2013
Thanks for the reply.

Regarding point 3, I have been working with my current company for 2 years and 3 months so I will have to go back to my past employer for a reference letter. Does the past employer's reference letter also need to mention the main duties according to the NOC? How important is that? I am skeptical about getting the letter in the same format from the past organisation hence I am concerned.

Thanks in advance.

Toronto2013

Jul 18, 2013
Regarding point2: I did write to HSRDC but did not get a clear reply. Below is my query and their response. What should I do now?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My query to HRSDC:

I have searched HRSDC website for the NOC codes based on the occupation on my work permit. The occupation is specified as economic development officers which corresponds to NOC 4163. However my job responsibilities are similar to NOC code 0601. I am in an IT sales role and the NOC code 0601 comes close to that.

So while applying for PR under CEC, which NOC code should I mention? Thanks

Their response:

The National Occupational Classification (NOC) codes are determined by the Skill Type and Skill Level. The Skill Type represents the type of work performed as well as the general industry of employment, in order to easily indicate the segment of the world of work. The Skill Level represents the education required to perform the work. However, the NOC does recognize the fact that most jobs require multitasking or performing more than one duty. As a result there is a 51% rule that can be used as a guideline. Simply put, 51% of the job functions must be contained in the main duties of the selected NOC description.

In addition, please note that the final decision for selecting the most appropriate National Occupational Classification (NOC) code is each individual's responsibility as you know your education, skills and abilities better than anyone else. However, the ultimate decision remains the responsibility of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) as they are the only ones who have the authority to determine if the information provided meets their criteria

Carleon

Aug 1, 2013
Brantford
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think you should put 0601 as you say that those are the responsibilities closest to your role. If your employer is writing responsibilities/duties similar to that of 0601 then i dont think you should have any problems with your application.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Toronto2013 said:
1. Point no 5 is Your work experience in Canada. But it also asks one to write about past 3 years experience and mention NOC codes for that. I have only one year experience in Canada. Past two years were in India but similar job profile. Do I need to mention NOC code for India job as well? or is it applicable to only the job in Canada?
You only list work experience in Canada. So if you have only one year of experience in Canada, that is all you list.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Toronto2013 said:
2. I read through the past replies in the forum and understand that NOC code mentioned on the WP is very important. I googled my NOC code and it is 4163. It is not exactly my role but I could relate to few points from the main duties on the HRSDC website for this NOC code. Under employment requirements,it is mentioned that -Certification as a certified economic developer (Ec.D.) may be required. I don't have this certificate and it is not relevant to me. So would it be a problem while applying for PR.
IT Sales and Economic Developer are very different jobs. Can you clarify what is on your work permit - "Economic Developer" or NOC 4163?

If you have a work permit that specifies "Economic Developer," that is what you are authorized to do. If you are doing something different, chances are good that CIC will see it as "unauthorized."

For us to better advise you on the NOC and what issues you face, we'd need more details about the kind of company you work for, and your job duties. What kind of IT sales? Who are the clients?