+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Form B4 (Goods to Follow/Accompanying List): How to ???

samkh89

Star Member
Jun 23, 2018
Great job man.
Thank you for the info.
Is it okay if we only fill the bsf186 and bsf186a forms, making 2 sets one for goods accompanying and other goods to follow.
Or is it necessary to make excel sheets.
And is it compulsory to print pictures of every item or only jewellery and valuables is enough.

midhat

Apr 14, 2019
Form B4
Goods to Follow List &/or Goods Accompanying List

How to Fill them...

Hi all,

This is in response to the numerous PMs received requesting a copy of my Form B4. As I did it on the system & there's no way to 'save' that, I remain handicapped to forward it. Thus, this thread.

Here's what I did; & how u could do it...

ASSUMPTIONS/PROLOGUE:
a) The form B4A is an extension of the form B4 [which is the main one to file]. Writing the B4A is a similarly daunting task, thus can be avoided. I didn't.
b) As the form B4 contains 'only' 8 rows to fill the goods/items, use only 8 groups of things. How? Explained later.

WHAT U SHOULD CARRY?
U should make 2 copies of the form B4. One for the 'Goods Accompanying' & one for the 'Goods to Follow'. Alongwith the attachments. What's that? Here u go...

STEP-1:
a) Group all similar items into one list & thus make 8 lists.
b) Type these groups in Excel Sheets* [separate for each group]. Title each Sheet. And a Page No.
c) Enlist the Columns as: Sl.No | Item Description | Qty | Value (CAD) |
d) Total the Value, of each Excel Sheet.
e) Take printouts of each Excel Sheet in A4 size paper [2 copies].

*Eg. 1.Electronics, 2.Jewelries, 3.Clothing & Personal Effects, 4.Books & DVDs, 5.Gadgets & Mobile Phones, 6.Cutlery & Utensils, 7.Home Decorations & Murals AND 8.Linens & Drapers. [the Title Heading can vary as per your choice & requirement]

STEP-2:
a) Place all jewelry in Groups* & click Pictures [Must, else they'll not be accepted].
b) Title each Sheet. And put a Page No.
c) Take printouts of each Jewelry Group in A4 size paper [2 copies].
d) Make an Excel Sheet, for the Summary of the Jewelry Sheets. And place a Value against each group.
e) Total the Excel Sheet Value, in the end.

*Eg. 1.Rings, 2.Bangles & Bracelets, 3.Chains & Necklaces, 4.Cummerbunds, 5.Diamond Sets, 6.Ear-Rings & Pendants, 7.Head-Bands & Chokers etc. (each in one group/sheet). [the Title Heading can vary as per your choice & requirement]

STEP-3: [Major Step]
a) Fill-out the form B4, as per the 8 Title Headings AND write the Total Value of each Excel Sheet.
b) Make a box [by hand] at the End of the 8 rows' Value Column. Write the Total Value* of the Goods.
c) For the Name field, write the PA's name.
d) For the Importer's Address, write the Canadian Address.
e) For the Country of Export, write your Home Country's Name.
f) For the Goods to Follow BOX [below the list rows], "Tick" it.
g) At Page-2 of the form B4, "Tick" the Newcomer BOX.
h) Bottom of the Page-2, Sign, Date [the day of Landing] & Location [write your Landing POE's name].

*U must write the Total Value of the entire goods, as that's needed by the CBSA to log on their system.

STEP-4:
a) Print-it out [on regular A4 sheets], both pages [1 & 2] separately.
b) Take 2 printouts [one for the CBSA & one for U, with their Stamp, Sign & Date].
c) Staple all the Excel Sheets & the Jewelry Sheets, into each form B4.

NOTE:
1. Do not forget to take 2 printouts of each form B4 and its attachments. One will be kept by them.
2. Do not forget to take pics of the Jewelry. Else, they'll not accept it
3. Do not forget to get it stamped on landing. Sometimes the BSO doesn't ask. It's our prerogative.

*In that case they'll ask u to get it by email & visit the airport the next day for stamping your B4. Though it can be done, but u get into unnecessary hassles, time & effort. And u just have 24 hrs to do so. Which is an avoidable tension. Isn't it?

WHERE TO FIND THE FORM?
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf

Hope that helped.
Qorax

Hi Thank you. Can you please share if I have already landed in canada and I forgot to ask for the B4 form at the customs, how do I submit the form now?

doylia

Star Member
Jan 10, 2013
Hi everyone, I have already done my landing interview recently. How can I still get the goods to follow list stamped or entered in their system so I can bring goods from my country over the next few years?

kanikasharma

Mar 28, 2016
I landed on Apr 16 but jewellery photos were missing so the officer asked to get the goods to follow list stamped later in their Toronto Downtown location. Can someone help locate that office? or what to do now to get this sorted?

DL2017

Dec 26, 2017
So if I travel to Vancouver in May to "Declare" (not planning on settling yet so I can settle affairs in USA) so that I can get my PR card mailed to me, I should bring a goods accompanying list and a goods to follow list to get stamped by the border officials at the airport. My question is, what happens when I get my goods to follow list stamped on my first visit and then lets say 6 months later I am now ready to move permanently and I have purchased more things that were not on my initial goods to follow list which was stamped already?? Do I need to update my list? Bring a new list? What if I am traveling by car and bringing all my things by ground?

lavemanv10

Jun 15, 2018
Hi qorax and other members..I have few queries regarding GTA and GTF List...Can someone please calrify?

1. Is the picture only a requirement for Jewellery and other valuable items or it is necessary in case the goods in other categories also are valuable (for eg : If we declare clothing and personal effect worth 2000 CAD and Medicines worth 1000 CAD)..Pictures necessary in that case or only for Jewellery?

2. In the 8 rows for the Form , do we declare only broad categories like clothing, electronics and each item detailed (like 10 jeans and 10 shirts etc) in the excel sheet or only broad categories in 8 rows in Form B4 shall work?

3. For the Medicines, if we put the value as 2000 CAD as we might be taking certain kid related medicines and other OTC medicines and might bring later on as well. ..is that acceptable to customs officer that medicines worth 2000 CAD can be carried without any issue?. and also is it mandatory to carry all bills for medicines?

4. If we are planning to leave Canada in 12 days and will come back after 1 month or so..How are we supposed to make the GTA list as we will take all the stuff back and bring it back in our next visit or is it advisable to put all the stuff in the GTF list?

Last edited:

kaceyx

Jul 27, 2017
Dubai
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
Nomination.....
Nova Scotia
Hi Guys,

If I'm nominated by NS and I'm landing in Toronto Pearson airport, what the POE should be int he BSF186 Nova Scotia or Ontario?

Thanks,

Khaled

meetme_here

Sep 3, 2019
Form B4
Goods to Follow List &/or Goods Accompanying List

How to Fill them...

Hi all,

This is in response to the numerous PMs received requesting a copy of my Form B4. As I did it on the system & there's no way to 'save' that, I remain handicapped to forward it. Thus, this thread.

Here's what I did; & how u could do it...

ASSUMPTIONS/PROLOGUE:
a) The form B4A is an extension of the form B4 [which is the main one to file]. Writing the B4A is a similarly daunting task, thus can be avoided. I didn't.
b) As the form B4 contains 'only' 8 rows to fill the goods/items, use only 8 groups of things. How? Explained later.

WHAT U SHOULD CARRY?
U should make 2 copies of the form B4. One for the 'Goods Accompanying' & one for the 'Goods to Follow'. Alongwith the attachments. What's that? Here u go...

STEP-1:
a) Group all similar items into one list & thus make 8 lists.
b) Type these groups in Excel Sheets* [separate for each group]. Title each Sheet. And a Page No.
c) Enlist the Columns as: Sl.No | Item Description | Qty | Value (CAD) |
d) Total the Value, of each Excel Sheet.
e) Take printouts of each Excel Sheet in A4 size paper [2 copies].

*Eg. 1.Electronics, 2.Jewelries, 3.Clothing & Personal Effects, 4.Books & DVDs, 5.Gadgets & Mobile Phones, 6.Cutlery & Utensils, 7.Home Decorations & Murals AND 8.Linens & Drapers. [the Title Heading can vary as per your choice & requirement]

STEP-2:
a) Place all jewelry in Groups* & click Pictures [Must, else they'll not be accepted].
b) Title each Sheet. And put a Page No.
c) Take printouts of each Jewelry Group in A4 size paper [2 copies].
d) Make an Excel Sheet, for the Summary of the Jewelry Sheets. And place a Value against each group.
e) Total the Excel Sheet Value, in the end.

*Eg. 1.Rings, 2.Bangles & Bracelets, 3.Chains & Necklaces, 4.Cummerbunds, 5.Diamond Sets, 6.Ear-Rings & Pendants, 7.Head-Bands & Chokers etc. (each in one group/sheet). [the Title Heading can vary as per your choice & requirement]

STEP-3: [Major Step]
a) Fill-out the form B4, as per the 8 Title Headings AND write the Total Value of each Excel Sheet.
b) Make a box [by hand] at the End of the 8 rows' Value Column. Write the Total Value* of the Goods.
c) For the Name field, write the PA's name.
d) For the Importer's Address, write the Canadian Address.
e) For the Country of Export, write your Home Country's Name.
f) For the Goods to Follow BOX [below the list rows], "Tick" it.
g) At Page-2 of the form B4, "Tick" the Newcomer BOX.
h) Bottom of the Page-2, Sign, Date [the day of Landing] & Location [write your Landing POE's name].

*U must write the Total Value of the entire goods, as that's needed by the CBSA to log on their system.

STEP-4:
a) Print-it out [on regular A4 sheets], both pages [1 & 2] separately.
b) Take 2 printouts [one for the CBSA & one for U, with their Stamp, Sign & Date].
c) Staple all the Excel Sheets & the Jewelry Sheets, into each form B4.

NOTE:
1. Do not forget to take 2 printouts of each form B4 and its attachments. One will be kept by them.
2. Do not forget to take pics of the Jewelry. Else, they'll not accept it
3. Do not forget to get it stamped on landing. Sometimes the BSO doesn't ask. It's our prerogative.

*In that case they'll ask u to get it by email & visit the airport the next day for stamping your B4. Though it can be done, but u get into unnecessary hassles, time & effort. And u just have 24 hrs to do so. Which is an avoidable tension. Isn't it?

WHERE TO FIND THE FORM?
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf

Hope that helped.
Qorax
Hi Qorax,

This is very helpful. I will be landing for the first time after getting the COPR. Planning to bring the car in canada after a year. On which form do i need to mention the car? B or B4A?

Thanks,
Rahul

kaceyx

Jul 27, 2017
Dubai
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
Nomination.....
Nova Scotia
Hi Qorax,

This is very helpful. I will be landing for the first time after getting the COPR. Planning to bring the car in canada after a year. On which form do i need to mention the car? B or B4A?

Thanks,
Rahul
You have to place it in the BSF186 with ticking the box of goods to follow. This will be the goods to follow list. The BSF186A is only a list with additional rows in case the BSF186 is not sufficient to list down all your items.

Just for your reference, at the airport, the CBSA officer will retype all the details again in a new paper/ document similar to what you have. Your copy will be used to facilitate the process and be aware that it's a time consuming process. You may wait for almost an hour to get done off this declaration.

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
You have to place it in the BSF186 with ticking the box of goods to follow. This will be the goods to follow list. The BSF186A is only a list with additional rows in case the BSF186 is not sufficient to list down all your items.

Just for your reference, at the airport, the CBSA officer will retype all the details again in a new paper/ document similar to what you have. Your copy will be used to facilitate the process and be aware that it's a time consuming process. You may wait for almost an hour to get done off this declaration.
My guy just stamped my excel sheet printout and wrote "see attached" on the BSF186. Took like 10 minutes.

Reactions: Scottish Aly

mkor

Oct 11, 2019
Please explain how does it work ?
Do they charge per kg ??
I have no clue about the whole the whole thing??

mkor

Oct 11, 2019
Hi qorax and other members..I have few queries regarding GTA and GTF List...Can someone please calrify?

1. Is the picture only a requirement for Jewellery and other valuable items or it is necessary in case the goods in other categories also are valuable (for eg : If we declare clothing and personal effect worth 2000 CAD and Medicines worth 1000 CAD)..Pictures necessary in that case or only for Jewellery?

2. In the 8 rows for the Form , do we declare only broad categories like clothing, electronics and each item detailed (like 10 jeans and 10 shirts etc) in the excel sheet or only broad categories in 8 rows in Form B4 shall work?

3. For the Medicines, if we put the value as 2000 CAD as we might be taking certain kid related medicines and other OTC medicines and might bring later on as well. ..is that acceptable to customs officer that medicines worth 2000 CAD can be carried without any issue?. and also is it mandatory to carry all bills for medicines?

4. If we are planning to leave Canada in 12 days and will come back after 1 month or so..How are we supposed to make the GTA list as we will take all the stuff back and bring it back in our next visit or is it advisable to put all the stuff in the GTF list?
Please help how does the whole thing works?
Cost ??
Where do I have to go with my follow up good ??

eninevo

Star Member
Apr 4, 2018
Hi Guys,

Need your help, i read about B4 and B4A forms and BS186 and BS186A. This is my understanding
  • Form BSF 186 (Filled for the items you're bringing in during your first landing)
  • Form BSF 186a (Filled for the items that you will be bringing in when settling - Good to follow)
1- Please advise whether the forms to be filled by new immigrant first time landing to Canada are BS186/BS186A?

2- Also it was mentioned on CBSA site that the officer will complete Form BSF186, Personal Effects Accounting Document. So we only have to fill the BS186 form? And if i have more items then I can make an excel?

Thank you