+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Form B4 (Goods to Follow/Accompanying List): How to ???

Histrionics

Nov 22, 2017
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-10-2017
Nomination.....
No
AOR Received.
31-03-2018
Med's Done....
21-03-2018
Passport Req..
21-06-2018
I’ve heard that for soft landing they do not accept goods to follow at times, can the dependent take the list then since they will be going as settler?

frightenedpanda

Sep 12, 2017
I have a question about the new BSF168 & BSF186A forms.

The title for the BSF186 form is "PERSONAL EFFECTS ACCOUNTING DOCUMENT" and the title for BSF186A form is "PERSONAL EFFECTS ACCOUNTING DOCUMENT (List of goods imported)". It is also written on the BSF 186A form that "Goods Imported with you at the time of accounting should be listed separately from goods which are to follow at a later date. Please use a separate list of any goods to follow."

So, the question is, I will be doing a soft landing and for that I have filled in my personal effects list in the BSF186 form (Laptop, Smartphone, Clothing) and I am using the BSF186A form to fill in the stuff I will bring later (Furniture, Blankets, Utensils, etc). Is this correct?

Or, should I be using the BSF186 form to just put in Clothes and Shoes in it, and use the BSF 186A form to put in the list of stuff I am carrying for the soft landing. And then use another BSF186A form to make a list of things that will follow later.

I am confused. :/

dona h

Oct 5, 2018
hi dear.
thank you so much for ur thread. it answered a lot of my questions. However we r moving in a few weeks and we still have plenty of pantry stuff (rice, dry pasta, dry beans, home made orange blossom water, home made rose water, home made vinegar) and toiletries (shampoo, soaps, lotions, laundry detergent powder and gel).
We are shipping a container since we are bringing all our household so place is not a problem.
Do you think we can ship those items so we save some money and dont buy them again, especially that we wont be able to go to grocery store the first few days.
thanks a lot.

Aug 20, 2017
Hi All,
I have read the initial post and as much as I can from subsequent pages (reading all 68 pages is almost impossible!). I have some questions. I am planning to make initial landing on June 9 through Blue Water Bridge in Michigan so I really need to get these queries answered ASAP. I am an Indian citizen working in US in L1A visa. Thank you all.

1. Is this the main form to be filled up (https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186-eng.html)?
2. In what case BSF186A is required? I'm guessing when 8 line items of BSF186 are not sufficient?
3. What should be importer's address? I don't have an address in Canada obviously. Can I use my US address?
4. Country of Origin - For most of my items will be US but for jwelery it would be India. What should I write then?
5. Country of Export - US?
6. What should be the Classification type? Settler?
7. How do you determine the value of the used items? For example, how do I calculate the value of a TV that costed $600 in 2015? How do you calculate values of items like clothes, cutleries, crockeries, books etc.?
8. My car is in lease which will end in Dec 2019. I'll be moving permanently to Canada before that. I'm not sure what to show / how to show in the form. I don't know if I can take a leased vehicle to Canada and return it later. What should be the valuation if I need to show this?
9. I understand this list will be stamped and next time I land my goods will be checked against it. Does that mean that whenever I land in future (be it my 2nd/3rd/nth landing) if I carry anything which is not in the list I have to pay duties? My wife may decide to bring some jweleries after a year or two when we're settled which are stored right now in lockers in India. Do I have to ask our parents to go to bank and take snaps because we may bring those to Canada in 2020? What kind of crazy rule is this?
10. I also read somewhere that jweler's certificate is also required and photos are not enough. No way I can get those certificates now. Are these mandatory?
11. I'm going there for the weekend with almost nothing other than clothes and babyfood... Do I even need to show anything or everything should go to 'Goods to Follow' list? For GtF should I fill in another BSF186 and check the 'Goods to follow' checkbox?
12. Custom declaration card - I am assuming no good I have shown in BSF186 has to be shown here again. As I'll be there for the weekend, should I fill this as Visitor rather than resident?

Thanks again in anticipation.
Hello, Did you figure out answers for your questions. I am planning to do soft landing in Nov 2018 and still in dilema about the jewellery declaration stuff. We have jewellery both in US and India lockers. so not clear on how to proceed. Please reply what did you do finally?

bk009

Feb 14, 2018
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
11-04-2018
File Transfer...
27-04-2018
Passport Req..
03-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
10-09-2018
Hello qorax,

I will be landing next month and wife will follow later in January.

Do I need to carry list of goods that will be carried by her?

Regards,
Kishan

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello qorax,

I will be landing next month and wife will follow later in January.

Do I need to carry list of goods that will be carried by her?

Regards,
Kishan
Either separately or together. It's your choice.

micrarach

Star Member
Mar 8, 2018
Hi folks,

We are landing in early 2019 so I am getting all the stuff sorted out for shipping. Perhaps this is a stupid question, but here goes: I have a lots of books I am bringing with me - do I need to itemise every single one of these in an Excel sheet? Its not a problem, just wondering if they really need to know Every. Single. Item. that is travelling.

adtjindal

Star Member
May 2, 2017
new delhi
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Hi folks,

We are landing in early 2019 so I am getting all the stuff sorted out for shipping. Perhaps this is a stupid question, but here goes: I have a lots of books I am bringing with me - do I need to itemise every single one of these in an Excel sheet? Its not a problem, just wondering if they really need to know Every. Single. Item. that is travelling.

items such as books can be collectively listed as 'books-misc'. you may or may not write an approx. number. they really just care about items of large value such as jewellery. those have to be itemized, pictured and valued.

micrarach

Star Member
Mar 8, 2018
items such as books can be collectively listed as 'books-misc'. you may or may not write an approx. number. they really just care about items of large value such as jewellery. those have to be itemized, pictured and valued.
Thanks!
This is the best news ever. I don't have much that is "high value" to be listed individually. My packing job just got easier! :)

rahulsingh16

Star Member
Aug 18, 2017
Hello, Did you figure out answers for your questions. I am planning to do soft landing in Nov 2018 and still in dilema about the jewellery declaration stuff. We have jewellery both in US and India lockers. so not clear on how to proceed. Please reply what did you do finally?
did you got any response on this ?

Jan 29, 2019
Hello from Paris, I have read pages and pages of very instructive questions and answers. It's great, thanks to those you share their knowledge on the subject. :)
We are doing our soft landing in Toronto end of february, staying 10 days, and return. The one way trip will be in july. Yeeha !
From what I have read, I plan to make an excel list of goods to follow, attached to the bsf186a form, and nothing for the goods we are bringing with us next month, as they won't stay in Canada (clothes, computers, etc). If it's a bad idea, please let me know !

And concerning our cat ? Does it go in the list with the goods to follow, poor thing ? How do I give it a value ??? o_O

dsinghd

Star Member
Dec 13, 2018
I have already done the soft landing in YYZ airport and would like to do some sharing:
1. I have prepared 2 set of forms for accompany goods and good to follow, But the officer didn't even touch or look at the accompany good one. They only focus on the form with goods to follow. So I suggest, try to bring as much stuff as u can in ur first landing as they dont even check our suitcases at all.

2. For the good to follow forms. We have filled the cover form and also use the B4A to list out all the items one by one. So far we have use 8 pages to list out. We only list out those expensive items (jewllaries, watches, branded bags, electronics, furniture) one on each row. The rest of the times we only put it in this way "clothing x 10 boxes, 600 CAD, kitchenwares x 10 boxes, 500 CAD, toiletwares x 5 boxes, 100CAD), etc.

3. Since there is only 8 empty rows on the cover form, I summed out those items in the 8 pages of B4A and catagorize them into 8 key areas (jewllaries, electronic items, luxury watches & bags, furniture, clothing, miscellaneous, etc) and only put the added total amount in the cover form.

4. Besides that, I took photo of each items listed in the 8 pages and print them out to cross references those B4A sheets. The file name of each photo can be the page number of B4A followed by the row number (i.e. 1.1 - 1.26 ; 2.1 - 2.26 as there are 26 rows in each page)

The officer was impressed with what I did and praised me. hahahha.... There is no maximum amount we put in the list.

Hope this helps. good luck everyone.
Great job man.