+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Form B4 (Goods to Follow/Accompanying List): How to ???

sach429

Feb 8, 2018
Hi,

Couple of questions. The following is an excerpt from a blog, https://rajtocanada.wordpress.com/2015/11/13/all-about-landingpost-landing-in-canada-as-a-pr/, where I came to know about this thread

NOTE: All goods brought for ‘landing’ are non-taxed. If we were to bring-in goods ‘later’, either by personal carriage or thru a transporter, this list MUST be stamped on the 1st Landing. Else, they will be ‘dutiable’. No compromise on that is possible. That’s the law.

If I plan to do soft landing, do I need to prepare the B4 form for "goods to follow" or is it only required when I plan to move permanently. A bit confused by the word "1st Landing". Technically, the soft landing is "1st Landing" but I am guessing it refers to the most recent landing prior the shipment of goods.

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Hi,

Couple of questions. The following is an excerpt from a blog, https://rajtocanada.wordpress.com/2015/11/13/all-about-landingpost-landing-in-canada-as-a-pr/, where I came to know about this thread

NOTE: All goods brought for ‘landing’ are non-taxed. If we were to bring-in goods ‘later’, either by personal carriage or thru a transporter, this list MUST be stamped on the 1st Landing. Else, they will be ‘dutiable’. No compromise on that is possible. That’s the law.

If I plan to do soft landing, do I need to prepare the B4 form for "goods to follow" or is it only required when I plan to move permanently. A bit confused by the word "1st Landing". Technically, the soft landing is "1st Landing" but I am guessing it refers to the most recent landing prior the shipment of goods.
Yes you need to have your "goods to follow" list with you when you do your initial landing, and it will be stamped. Then you'll need it again when your items actually arrive.

sach429

Feb 8, 2018
@Mthornt
T
hank you for your reply. So what happens if I do a soft landing, exit from Canada, return to Canada after say a year? Any new items which I have purchased in the meantime won't be in the first list.

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
@Mthornt
T
hank you for your reply. So what happens if I do a soft landing, exit from Canada, return to Canada after say a year? Any new items which I have purchased in the meantime won't be in the first list.

I recently did exactly that, after 8 months, they seem to be pretty strict with making sure the only items you're bringing in are included on the list. I wouldn't purchase any long term, or expensive items until you come back if you didn't include them on your list.

Last edited:

sach429

Feb 8, 2018
I recently did exactly that, after 8 months, they seem to be pretty strict with making sure the only items you're bringing in are included on the list. I wouldn't purchase anything long term, expensive items until you come back if you didn't included them on your list.
@Mthornt
Thanks

Reactions: Mthornt

Bspar

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
I'm sorry, I havent read the whole thread as it's 68 pages long but how does one go about declaring food being brought in to Canada? Do I make a separate group labeled "food and ingredients" and just list everything that we're bringing? As far as I know, it should be above board, no fruits or meats although I think there'll be some canned fish.

VijayHP

Aug 23, 2016
Hello Friends,

I have a problem which I assume is unique :(

I did my initial landing on 25th of April. When I was in the Customs queue then, I was asked by a lady on the funds that I am carrying. When I showed the declaration card, she said since I am carrying only CAD 19K for a family of 4, I can leave.

I didn't realise that I did NOT get the goods I am carrying and goods to follow list stamped at that point of time and just left the airport as we all were tired. I only realised couple of days back.

Is there anything that I can do here?

kalebhushan

Star Member
Apr 4, 2018
Mumbai IN
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-09-2018
Med's Done....
27-09-2018
Passport Req..
25-01-2019
What items are not allowed into the country apart from meat and poultry?
I heard used mattresses arent allowed unless fumigated. Can someone confirm if thats true? Also how do we prove that they are fumigated?

SoniaJav

Star Member
Sep 19, 2014
Hello Friends,

I have a problem which I assume is unique :(

I did my initial landing on 25th of April. When I was in the Customs queue then, I was asked by a lady on the funds that I am carrying. When I showed the declaration card, she said since I am carrying only CAD 19K for a family of 4, I can leave.

I didn't realise that I did NOT get the goods I am carrying and goods to follow list stamped at that point of time and just left the airport as we all were tired. I only realised couple of days back.

Is there anything that I can do here?

Happens a lot. Travel back to the airport and explain your situation straight up. They are very helpful, I'm sure someone will help you out on the airport.

michibong

May 5, 2018
Hi All,
I have read the initial post and as much as I can from subsequent pages (reading all 68 pages is almost impossible!). I have some questions. I am planning to make initial landing on June 9 through Blue Water Bridge in Michigan so I really need to get these queries answered ASAP. I am an Indian citizen working in US in L1A visa. Thank you all.

1. Is this the main form to be filled up (https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186-eng.html)?
2. In what case BSF186A is required? I'm guessing when 8 line items of BSF186 are not sufficient?
3. What should be importer's address? I don't have an address in Canada obviously. Can I use my US address?
4. Country of Origin - For most of my items will be US but for jwelery it would be India. What should I write then?
5. Country of Export - US?
6. What should be the Classification type? Settler?
7. How do you determine the value of the used items? For example, how do I calculate the value of a TV that costed $600 in 2015? How do you calculate values of items like clothes, cutleries, crockeries, books etc.?
8. My car is in lease which will end in Dec 2019. I'll be moving permanently to Canada before that. I'm not sure what to show / how to show in the form. I don't know if I can take a leased vehicle to Canada and return it later. What should be the valuation if I need to show this?
9. I understand this list will be stamped and next time I land my goods will be checked against it. Does that mean that whenever I land in future (be it my 2nd/3rd/nth landing) if I carry anything which is not in the list I have to pay duties? My wife may decide to bring some jweleries after a year or two when we're settled which are stored right now in lockers in India. Do I have to ask our parents to go to bank and take snaps because we may bring those to Canada in 2020? What kind of crazy rule is this?
10. I also read somewhere that jweler's certificate is also required and photos are not enough. No way I can get those certificates now. Are these mandatory?
11. I'm going there for the weekend with almost nothing other than clothes and babyfood... Do I even need to show anything or everything should go to 'Goods to Follow' list? For GtF should I fill in another BSF186 and check the 'Goods to follow' checkbox?
12. Custom declaration card - I am assuming no good I have shown in BSF186 has to be shown here again. As I'll be there for the weekend, should I fill this as Visitor rather than resident?

Thanks again in anticipation.

michibong

May 5, 2018
Hi All,
I have read the initial post and as much as I can from subsequent pages (reading all 68 pages is almost impossible!). I have some questions. I am planning to make initial landing on June 9 through Blue Water Bridge in Michigan so I really need to get these queries answered ASAP. I am an Indian citizen working in US in L1A visa. Thank you all.

1. Is this the main form to be filled up (https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186-eng.html)?
2. In what case BSF186A is required? I'm guessing when 8 line items of BSF186 are not sufficient?
3. What should be importer's address? I don't have an address in Canada obviously. Can I use my US address?
4. Country of Origin - For most of my items will be US but for jwelery it would be India. What should I write then?
7. How do you determine the value of the used items? For example, how do I calculate the value of a TV that costed $600 in 2015? How do you calculate values of items like clothes, cutleries, crockeries, books etc.?
8. My car is in lease which will end in Dec 2019. I'll be moving permanently to Canada before that. I'm not sure what to show / how to show in the form. I don't know if I can take a leased vehicle to Canada and return it later. What should be the valuation if I need to show this?
9. I understand this list will be stamped and next time I land my goods will be checked against it. Does that mean that whenever I land in future (be it my 2nd/3rd/nth landing) if I carry anything which is not in the list I have to pay duties? My wife may decide to bring some jweleries after a year or two when we're settled which are stored right now in lockers in India. Do I have to ask our parents to go to bank and take snaps because we may bring those to Canada in 2020? What kind of crazy rule is this?
10. I also read somewhere that jweler's certificate is also required and photos are not enough. No way I can get those certificates now. Are these mandatory?
11. I'm going there for the weekend with almost nothing other than clothes and babyfood... Do I even need to show anything or everything should go to 'Goods to Follow' list? For GtF should I fill in another BSF186 and check the 'Goods to follow' checkbox?
12. Custom declaration card - I am assuming no good I have shown in BSF186 has to be shown here again. As I'll be there for the weekend, should I fill this as Visitor rather than resident?

Will a kind soul please reply :)

michibong

May 5, 2018
Hi All,

Well I read almost half of this huge thread and I have answers to some of the questions (I changed them to GREEN) but still looking for answers for other questions.

michibong

May 5, 2018
Well I read almost half of this huge thread and I have answers to some of the questions (I changed them to GREEN) but still looking for answers for other questions.
No answers in three days? Come on you'll can be a little more helpful. I am still concerned about what address I should put in BSF186. I am going to Toronto to a relative's place but for PR card address I am going to use one of my friend's address in vancouver. I am not sure what address to put. Suggestions? Also, any idea about question 12?