+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Form B4 (Goods to Follow/Accompanying List): How to ???

Indian applicant

Jun 29, 2014
tm96 said:
Do we have to fill single B4 form or individually for all family members like spouse kid n self?
one B4 per family on the name of PA Principal applicant

I am not getting anything by cargo but will get more stuff after 2 / 3 yrs when I come back again like dinner set n utensils + Indian clothes. Do I have to fill in B4A for the same.
Prepare a B4A of any items that you may or may NOT bring over next 8 years. Items such as clothes and utensils are of no value and not of concern

Request you to confirm at the earliest.

I am also getting gold jewellery evaluated. Is there any limit on the amount of jewellery I can bring in?
Gold/silver evaluation is NOT a must. approximate will do. No limit. unless you have Bullion in Kgs.

ratul2k14

Aug 21, 2014
Ottawa
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-08-2014
Med's Done....
11-02-15
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
14-05-15
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-15
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
Hello All,
Do we need to add our Cars/Motorcycles to the Form B4 list if we are importing it into Canada at a later date? (Moving from US to Canada). Thanks

future_canadian

VIP Member
May 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ratul2k14 said:
Hello All,
Do we need to add our Cars/Motorcycles to the Form B4 list if we are importing it into Canada at a later date? (Moving from US to Canada). Thanks
I did.

Hari412

Star Member
Sep 20, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2014
AOR Received.
27-01-2015
IELTS Request
submitted
File Transfer...
12-02-2015
Med's Request
20-03-2015
Med's Done....
1-4-2015, Third Line 11-4-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
12-06-2015
LANDED..........
17-07-2015
ratul2k14 said:
Hello All,
Hi ratul2k14,

Yes you need to add it.

ratul2k14

Aug 21, 2014
Ottawa
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-08-2014
Med's Done....
11-02-15
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
14-05-15
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-15
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
Thanks Guys ^^

hooman_m

Oct 31, 2014
Thank You for your valuable information. Should I also mention the amount of money that will be sent to me to Canada at a later time?!

tun001757

Sep 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-July-2014
Nomination.....
06-Nov-2014
AOR Received.
19-Dec-2014
Med's Request
02-Mar-2015
Passport Req..
01-Apr-2015
Hi Senior,

Can share your idea about my situation?

Can I declare my money in Overseas Bank & CPF (Singapore PR's retirement fund) in B4a form? So far I only see about declaring goods, see nothing related to money in overseas banks.

I might need to bring the money into Canada in the future for buying property possibly.

Anyone declare money form overseas before? And also want to know all the time declare in B4a has the deadline to import to Canada or not? If yes, how long is that?

Thank you.

Indian applicant

Jun 29, 2014
tun001757 said:
Hi Senior,

Can share your idea about my situation?

Can I declare my money in Overseas Bank & CPF (Singapore PR's retirement fund) in B4a form? So far I only see about declaring goods, see nothing related to money in overseas banks.
B4a is for goods. Currency is NOT Goods.
I might need to bring the money into Canada in the future for buying property possibly.
Everyone (irrespective of Citizen; PR; Visitor etc) has to declare currency over 10K CAD every time you travel to Canada in another form. You can also bring reasonable amounts via banks; wire transfer; etc
Anyone declare money form overseas before? And also want to know all the time declare in B4a has the deadline to import to Canada or not? If yes, how long is that?
I was told by CBSA at customs, that I could bring the items declared in B4a in next 8 years
Thank you.

Ravcat

Sep 27, 2013
NW Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga/Ottawa ON
App. Filed.......
8-12-2014
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
05-03-2015
Med's Request
Sent w/ App.
Med's Done....
25-08-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Visa Excempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/06/2015
LANDED..........
August 7th, 2015! Through Port Huron!
After reading the guide and pages of peoples posts I still have questions

I have compiled my list of goods separated in their proper categories...

I am taking 90% of my stuff on the first trip, but importing my vehicle on the 2nd trip with maybe a few items in it.

My confusion is can my Goods Accompanying list be the same as my Goods to Follow?

The only difference is you click on the box that says "goods to follow" and then have the list of stuff that you could potentially bring over, even though it could be the same list of Goods Accompanying? (Am I understanding this properly? )

On my Goods Accompanying I would NOT put my vehicle down, but on the goods to follow, fill out the vehicle part? Or do it on both just in case...I do not want to mess up and pay for tax/duty on an expensive vehicle...or if its NOT suppose to be on the goods accompanying and I do put it I get in trouble...or something...

Hope I make sense...thank you

FSW_Applicant

Aug 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-Oct-2014
LANDED..........
17-Sep-2015
ratul2k14 said:
Hello All,
This might help too.
1 Pay off car loan - if not paid off already
2 Clear title @ DMV
3 DMV – Certified driving record abstract AND certified driving record
4 Letter from insurance for coverage and claims
5 Get original bill of sale or fair market value
6 Get vehicle recall clearance letter
7 Use a freight forwarder to get ITN number and file info with Automated Export System (AES)
8 Check the car against the Registrar of Imported Vehicles' vehicle admissability list
9 Check to see if your vehicle will be charged a high emissions excise tax - Check these sites: http://www.importcartocanada.info/car-news/imposition-of-excise-taxes-on-fuel-inefficient-vehicles/ and http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/fcr-rcf/public/index-e.cfm. On the latter, you can search for your car and then compare it against the requirements on the former
10 Fax in a copy of the vehicle title to the U.S. border crossing where you intend to cross - at least 72 hours prior to landing (Send the letter showing no outstanding recalls to the RIV (document is valid for 30 day) to support @ support.riv.ca so they pre-process it. Call them to confirm all's set before you leave the US so you can get anything else necessary before you leave - source: post by OhCanadiana)
11 Drive to the US border crossing & produce documents - get clearance
You can only export the car at certain border posts in the US and at certain times. So, figure out where you are crossing and then understand their requirements to get the info to them ahead of time - usually they are looking to get the info 3 (sometimes natural, sometimes business) days before you arrive at the border. Take a look at http://www.ucanimport.com/Border_Crossing_Info.aspx for a good list of border crossings, but then search for the specific info for the border post and their instructions on the CBP website directly. For example, for Buffalo, look at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/ny/0901.xml and search "export a vehicle" to see an example of the instructions (other crossings sometimes need you to mail them the title so they receive it 3 business days prior so it's important to check for your specifics). You can search for other border crossings at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/ . Find out the location of the export office online or when you call them (it's not necessarily easy to find when you are at the border).
On the day of the crossing, stop by the CBP export office before you cross the border into Canada so they stamp your title to clear it for export. - source: post by OhCanadiana)

12 Stop at Canadian customs
13 Pay RIV fees (Pay the import fee to the RIV and get your Form 2 from the RIV. You'll need to pay $195.00 + GST/HST (or QST) either at riv.com or by calling the RIV at 1-888-848-8240 (Mon. to Fri.: 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight (EST), Sat. and Sun.: 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (EST). You'll need the red numbers from your Form 1 to do this step and they will then e-mail you Form 2 which you'll need to get the car inspected. - source: post by OhCanadiana)
14 Get Vehicle Import Form 1 stamped after verification
15 Complete landing process - PP, COPR, 2 copies of personal items, POF
16 Apply for SIN
17 Apply for bank account
18 Apply for health card
19 Apply for driving license - use US DMV records to exchange
20 Receive Form 2 - federal inspection in mail
21 Get any required modifications done to your vehicle
22 Get inspected at Canadian Tire
23 Get Canadian Safety compliant sticker
24 Get vehicle registered
25 Get insurance in Canada

mr.gk

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Hi All,

I'm checking how to prepare B4 & B4A documents but up till now I can't find what should i list in these forms.

While searching the forums I found that we have to mention every tiny stuff we own to avoid paying taxes later. But when I searched in CIC site, I found below pages and it seems simple as taxes won't be applied on most of the stuff (furniture/clothes/Jewelry...). So, could you please advise about what I have to mention????

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-goods.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-goods-what.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-border.asp

Indian applicant

Jun 29, 2014
mr.gk said:
Hi All,

I'm checking how to prepare B4 & B4A documents but up till now I can't find what should i list in these forms.

While searching the forums I found that we have to mention every tiny stuff we own to avoid paying taxes later. But when I searched in CIC site, I found below pages and it seems simple as taxes won't be applied on most of the stuff (furniture/clothes/Jewelry...). So, could you please advise about what I have to mention????

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-goods.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-goods-what.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-border.asp
Import or customs duty or TAXES are not applied for immigrant's goods. Every tiny item need NOT be mentioned in the B4 and B4A forms. They can be at the category level with most used items at '0' value. You might want to indicate jewelry, cars etc for a reasonable value. However no taxes whatsoever when you bring them even years later. Hope this helps.

747-captain

Jan 8, 2015
El Cerrito, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 21, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER: Jan 21, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Mar 13, 2015 (MR, FBI PCC [app sent to FBI 3/17] and RPRF)
Med's Done....
completed Mar. 23rd, 2015. ECAS 3rd line updated April 3rd.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
Indian applicant said:
Import or customs duty or TAXES are not applied for immigrant's goods. Every tiny item need NOT be mentioned in the B4 and B4A forms. They can be at the category level with most used items at '0' value. You might want to indicate jewelry, cars etc for a reasonable value. However no taxes whatsoever when you bring them even years later. Hope this helps.
Thanks for all of your information. However, I would like to clarify one point. The Canadian websites state under "VEHICLES" that one can bring in personal vehicles duty free. But do we have to pay any sort of TAXES (like HST/GST etc.)??

For example, I have 2 vehicles. A 2000 Lexus LS 400 (value approx. $6,500 USD), which I purchased 11 years ago here in the US, and a 2014 Toyota Corolla (current value approx. $14,000 USD) that I got a few months back.

Can I bring both vehicles COMPLETELY tax and duty free or do I have to pay anything on them?? (I am a single person by myself). Also I heard someone talking about a $10,000 limit. Does that mean I have to pay any kind of taxes on value above $10,000??

Thanks in advance!!

Indian applicant

Jun 29, 2014
747-captain said:
Thanks for all of your information. However, I would like to clarify one point. The Canadian websites state under "VEHICLES" that one can bring in personal vehicles duty free. But do we have to pay any sort of TAXES (like HST/GST etc.)??

For example, I have 2 vehicles. A 2000 Lexus LS 400 (value approx. $6,500 USD), which I purchased 11 years ago here in the US, and a 2014 Toyota Corolla (current value approx. $14,000 USD) that I got a few months back.

Can I bring both vehicles COMPLETELY tax and duty free or do I have to pay anything on them?? (I am a single person by myself). Also I heard someone talking about a $10,000 limit. Does that mean I have to pay any kind of taxes on value above $10,000??

Thanks in advance!!
The $10K limit is for currency. Everyone has to declare on airline arrival form if you are bringing over $10K or its equivalent in any currency. It has NO relevance to B4/B4A or the value of the goods.

With respect to the question of car imports, Please refer to
1 http://www.milgram.com/ignitionweb/data/ddm/658/CBSA_Settling.pdf
2 http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5048-eng.html

Personal effects can include any kind of pleasure vehicles such as passenger cars, pickup trucks, camper trucks, vans, jeeps, chassis cabs, motorcycles,
snowmobiles and motor homes, as long as you use them for non-commercial purposes. However, you should be aware that Transport Canada has many restrictions on vehicles.
Transport Canada defines a vehicle as any vehicle that is capable of being driven or drawn on roads, by any means other than muscular power exclusively,
but not including a vehicle designed to run exclusively on rails. Trailers such as recreational, boat, camping, horse, and stock trailers are considered vehicles, as are wood chippers, generators, or any other equipment mounted on rims and tires.

Transport Canada requirements
Transport Canada’s requirements apply to vehicles that are less than 15 years old, and to buses manufactured on or after January 1, 1971.
Vehicles manufactured to meet United States safety standards do not comply with Canadian standards.
As the importer, before you import your vehicle, you must contact the Transport Canada’s Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) to ensure that it is
admissible for importation and can be modified to meet the Canadian standards after you import it.
The RIV is an agency contracted by Transport Canada to administer a national program to ensure that imported vehicles are brought into compliance
with Canada’s safety standards.

FSW_NOC_0112

Aug 5, 2015
I am a new member of this forum. Let me begin by thanking everyone for sharing information about landing in Canada.

I am preparring for my Canada Trip and I need your help and guidance for the same.

I am planning for a short landing (@ a week's stay) and then returning back at a later date. However, I am stuck at the Goods to Follow list. Will someone please share a sample with me?

Thanks in advance

FSW_NOC_0112