+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Form B4 (Goods to Follow/Accompanying List): How to ???

mayankpandya

VIP Member
Apr 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-02-2011.
Doc's Request.
PER on 24- MAR- 2011.
AOR Received.
20-APRIL-2011
File Transfer...
In-Process on 30 May 2011
Med's Request
14 July 2011
Med's Done....
22 July 2011
Passport Req..
14 -Jul- 2011 Passport send on 26-Jul-11
VISA ISSUED...
29-AUG-11
LANDED..........
16-OCT-11
Dear Qorax,

I have gone through B4 forms.

As i mentioned in my last post, i am landing alone & my wife will join me later.

I found that in B4 from there is Goods to Follow option to tick. I need to tick on YES. As my wife is going to carry others stuffs with jewellery.

As par my understanding i need to fill other B4 form for Goods to follow right ?

I want to know whose name should i need to fill in Importer`s name for my wife`s stuffs ? My or her ?

Please clear this confusion ?

Regards
Mayank

qwerbilzak

Star Member
Nov 2, 2010
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2010
AOR Received.
18-11-2010
Med's Request
20-04-2011
Med's Done....
11-05-2011
Passport Req..
06-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
qorax said:
WHERE TO FIND THE FORM?
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf

Hope that helped.
Qorax
Hi and thanks for the great info!!

Quick question. My wife and I plan to go, land, come back to our home country and settle affairs, and then move permanently to Canada about 6 months later.

Which box do we check at the bottom of the B4 form?

We're not "former residents", "beneficiary"s, "seasonal residents", or "settlers" (because we don't "have the intention of establishing, for the first time, a permanent residence for a period in excess of 12 months."

Do we check no box?

Thanks!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would still put "settlers" because you are intending to establishing, for the first time, a permanent residence for a period in excess of 12 months - even not immediately right after landing!

qwerbilzak

Star Member
Nov 2, 2010
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2010
AOR Received.
18-11-2010
Med's Request
20-04-2011
Med's Done....
11-05-2011
Passport Req..
06-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
steaky said:
I would still put "settlers" because you are intending to establishing, for the first time, a permanent residence for a period in excess of 12 months - even not immediately right after landing!
Ah - makes perfect sense. Thanks!

jnadeem

May 25, 2010
Dear Qorax,
Excellent information. Clarify most of my questions.. Keep it up Bro.

One clarification related to my case. We landed earlier in Aug 2010 and stayed only couple of weeks in Canada just to fulfill the landing formality and get our SIN & PR Card. At the time of landing, we did not submit any B4 / E677 form. Infact, informed at immigration counter that we will return back in couple of weeks.
Now we are moving for good in March and am preparing all 'goods to Follow/Accompanying List'. Will it be a problem for me as am not a new comer rather coming under returning back categary?

Please advice.

Regards,

JNADEEM

hondubai

Oct 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17/11/2010
AOR Received.
received on 28/02/2011
IELTS Request
sent with documents
File Transfer...
27/03/2011
Med's Request
22/08/2011
Med's Done....
15/09/2011 Medical received on 11/11/11
Passport Req..
11/4/2012
VISA ISSUED...
12/5/2012 get passports back on 19/5/2012
jnadeem said:
Dear Qorax, we landed earlier in Aug 2010 and stayed only couple of weeks in Canada just to fulfill the landing formality and get our SIN & PR Card. At the time of landing, we did not submit any B4 / E677 form. Infact, informed at immigration counter that we will return back in couple of weeks.
Now we are moving for good in March and am preparing all 'goods to Follow/Accompanying List'. Will it be a problem for me as am not a new comer rather coming under returning back categary?

Regards,

JNADEEM
Hi Buddy, You should have presented the "goods to Follow" at your first entry to Canada but let's hear Qorax opinion.

"Goods that arrive later will only qualify for duty- and tax-free importation under your entitlement as a settler, if they are on your original list"
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5114-eng.html

jnadeem

May 25, 2010
hondubai said:
Hi Buddy, You should have presented the "goods to Follow" at your first entry to Canada but let's hear Qorax opinion.

"Goods that arrive later will only qualify for duty- and tax-free importation under your entitlement as a settler, if they are on your original list"
This is not a good news for me :(.
What about category ' Moving Back to Canada ' i.e.,
- a resident of Canada who is returning to resume residence after an absence of at least one year; or
- a former resident of Canada who has been a resident of another country for at least a year.
(bsf5087-eng)
I hope Qorax opinion will make my life easier.
Javed

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
jnadeem said:
This is not a good news for me :(.
What about category ' Moving Back to Canada ' i.e.,
- a resident of Canada who is returning to resume residence after an absence of at least one year; or
- a former resident of Canada who has been a resident of another country for at least a year.
(bsf5087-eng)
I hope Qorax opinion will make my life easier.
Javed
Hondubai has opined correctly.
U r not a 'Returning Resident', u were never a 'Resident of Canada'* as yet.

*Need residential ties, viz. tenancy/purchase contract, car, tax returns, bank a/c, job/business, min. 180 days stay etc.

cissino

Star Member
Sep 26, 2011
Dubai - U.A.E
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
11/03/2011
Med's Done....
19/04/2011
Passport Req..
02/11/2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
.23/03/2012.............
Dear All,

Could any one who have already done the accompanying list and goods to follow spreadsheets b4 & b4a to send it to me as a reference and example to the following email.

frk.slm @ hotmail.com

Thanks in advance .

cissino

Star Member
Sep 26, 2011
Dubai - U.A.E
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
11/03/2011
Med's Done....
19/04/2011
Passport Req..
02/11/2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
.23/03/2012.............

charkei

Star Member
Oct 9, 2011
Dipolog City
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2010
AOR Received.
08-03-2011
File Transfer...
30-03-2011
Med's Request
07-07-2011
Med's Done....
27-07-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
24-10-2011
LANDED..........
21-01-2012
Hi.

Do you have any sample filled copy with these forms (B4,B4A,E677 individual and general, and E311? I have a hard time filling out this forms and I'm about to land. Wish you could help me up with this problem of mine.

jnadeem

May 25, 2010
qorax said:
Hondubai has opined correctly.
U r not a 'Returning Resident', u were never a 'Resident of Canada'* as yet.

*Need residential ties, viz. tenancy/purchase contract, car, tax returns, bank a/c, job/business, min. 180 days stay etc.
Qorax,
I inquired from CBSA via their online support and below is the answer (just received).

Settlers must intend to establish a residence in Canada for a minimum period of 12 months to benefit from the duty- and tax-free importation of personal and household effects. Based on the information provided in your inquiry, upon your family’s first entry you did not intend to establish a residence in Canada for 12 months or longer; therefore, you did not need to present Form B4, Personal Effects Accounting Document, and Form B4A, Personal Effects Accounting Document (List of Goods Imported).

Once your family enters Canada with the intention to establish a residence for more than 12 months, your family will be entitled to claim duty- and tax-free importation of your personal and household effects as long as your family has owned, possessed, and used them before arriving in Canada. It is at that time that your family will need to present a detailed list in duplicate of all of the goods that you intend to import. A Form B4A can be used, although it is not mandatory. The list of goods should contain the make, model, and serial number (where possible) of each item and its approximate value. For general household items, it is acceptable to provide a group listing (e.g., kitchen utensils, women's clothing, men clothing, children's clothing) and overall value. This list should be in two parts, showing which goods are accompanying her at the time of arrival and which are goods to follow.
Unquote

I feel better now.
Regards
JNADEEM

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
jnadeem said:
Qorax,
I inquired from CBSA via their online support and below is the answer (just received).

Settlers must intend to establish a residence in Canada for a minimum period of 12 months to benefit from the duty- and tax-free importation of personal and household effects. Based on the information provided in your inquiry, upon your family's first entry you did not intend to establish a residence in Canada for 12 months or longer; therefore, you did not need to present Form B4, Personal Effects Accounting Document, and Form B4A, Personal Effects Accounting Document (List of Goods Imported).

Once your family enters Canada with the intention to establish a residence for more than 12 months, your family will be entitled to claim duty- and tax-free importation of your personal and household effects as long as your family has owned, possessed, and used them before arriving in Canada. It is at that time that your family will need to present a detailed list in duplicate of all of the goods that you intend to import. A Form B4A can be used, although it is not mandatory. The list of goods should contain the make, model, and serial number (where possible) of each item and its approximate value. For general household items, it is acceptable to provide a group listing (e.g., kitchen utensils, women's clothing, men clothing, children's clothing) and overall value. This list should be in two parts, showing which goods are accompanying her at the time of arrival and which are goods to follow.
Unquote

I feel better now.
Regards
JNADEEM
trackitt.com/canada-discussion-forums/federal-skilled-workers/879000041/qorax-goods-to-follow-if-not-planning-to-stay

Posted by van77 (459) | 28 Dec 2011 | to qorax:

Qorax, just to confirm. Your opinion is the right way to go. The goods to follow list is absolutely mandatory.

I emailed the border services agency about my situation. They replied back that settlers are only entitled to duty and tax exception on goods they declared on the original B4 they provided upon "landing".

Landed immigrants who stay in Canada for a short period of time then leave to their home countries are not entitled to any duty and tax exception when they return (unless these goods were on the goods to follow list). They are not considered former residents because the law defines residents as "persons who, in the settled routine of their life, make their home, reside, and are ordinarily present in Canada."

Thanks again for taking the time to discuss this with me.

Van

odin2404

Jan 27, 2011
Burlington
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-09-2010
Doc's Request.
sent with application
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
27-01-2011
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
23rd Feb 2011
Med's Request
03rd March 2011
Med's Done....
30th March 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03rd March 2011 PPR/RPRF sent: 13th April 2011 RPRF encashed: 29th April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
05th May 2011
LANDED..........
19th July 2011
My two bits ... I followed Qorax's advise and "how to.." method and not only had a smooth sail through customs but had the customs officer thank me for readying such a comprehensive docment. I have a copy signed and stamped by the officials so I can bring in my personal / household effects at a later date.