+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Forgot to renew study permit

San.Jamous

Star Member
Feb 4, 2018
Hi all,

My BF study permit expired two weeks ago whilst he was in the middle of his semester. Unfortunately it was an oversight. The day he found out it was 3 days after his permit expired. His passport was also expiring soon so he renewed his passport and got his new passport now.
What's the likelihood of his application to renew his status getting accepted? knowing he can't take this semester until next year Jan?! And also knowing that last year he failed 1 subject so he also applied for a permit for 1 year to be able to take that subject in that fall semester.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi all,

My BF study permit expired two weeks ago whilst he was in the middle of his semester. Unfortunately it was an oversight. The day he found out it was 3 days after his permit expired. His passport was also expiring soon so he renewed his passport and got his new passport now.
What's the likelihood of his application to renew his status getting accepted? knowing he can't take this semester until next year Jan?! And also knowing that last year he failed 1 subject so he also applied for a permit for 1 year to be able to take that subject in that fall semester.
Assume he stopped studying and working immediately. No one can tell if study permit extension will be approved. He will want to show full time studies, paid tuition, registered etc.

sam.devilz19

Nov 7, 2017
St. John's, NL, Canada
Hi all,

First, he should've stopped studying/working (if authorized) after the expiration of his study permit. I wouldn't mention "forgetting about the expiry date" in the letter of explanation. Rather, come up with a justifiable rationale to support your case. I'd also provide an acceptable explanation of lousy performance in academics, including any failed courses. Going into details like the unavailability of a particular course wouldn't be necessary for LOE. I assume he can speak with his university to accommodate alternative courses (maybe electives) relevant to his program of study available to be taken immediately after approval of an extension (if that happens) instead of waiting for one whole year. I understand the courses might not be of immediate interest. Still, I'd personally go for a course immediately available than wait a whole year to be able to enrol in specific courses.