+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Forgot to include OWP application with inland spousal app

Besunshine

Star Member
Oct 18, 2011
Hi there, we recently submitted our inland spousal sponsorship application but we forgot to include an OWP application. Do you know if we can send it now and have them attach it to our file? We are hoping to receive to OWP at the same time as first stage approval

If not, how long does it take to get your OWP after receiving first stage approval?

Thanks!

perkele

Star Member
Jul 4, 2012
Montréal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 15, 2012
AOR Received.
May 30, 2012
Med's Done....
December 12, 2011
Besunshine said:
Hi there, we recently submitted our inland spousal sponsorship application but we forgot to include an OWP application. Do you know if we can send it now and have them attach it to our file? We are hoping to receive to OWP at the same time as first stage approval

If not, how long does it take to get your OWP after receiving first stage approval?

Thanks!
Hi there,
I was having the same problem and I called the call centre earlier today and the agent said that it wasn't a problem. She also sent me an email with the required steps.

Here's the email I received:

Date: 2012-07-04

Sir, Madam,

Thank you for contacting Citizenship and Immigration Canada. I am pleased to follow up on your request:

Open Work Permit - Permanent Residence under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class

Generally, Work Permits are job specific. If you want to apply for a work permit, you need:

a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada; and
a job offer from a specific employer.

In some cases, work permits are not job specific, so no job offer or LMO is needed. These types of permits are known as open work permits.

As an exception, you can apply for an open work permit if you:

have applied for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class and your application has been *approved in principle; or
are a **family member of the person listed above and you are included in his application for permanent residence.

To apply for a work permit:

You must apply online through the Online Services page on our Web site; or

You must send an Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta.

The application is available on our Web site. You can fill out the application on-line and print it or print it and fill it out by hand.

Visit our Web site to see how long it may take to process your application.

Please note that you must wait for your work permit to be approved before starting to work.

Please also note if the sponsored person did not send an open work permit application with their permanent residence application, they can send it, by mail, at any time while it is in process by writing Open Work Permit - Application for permanent residence in Canada - Spouse or common-law partner on the top of the form. They should also include proof that the permanent residence application was submitted. The open work permit application cannot be submitted online.

To help avoid delays or a refusal, make sure that you:

properly complete and sign the application form(s);
include all the documents listed on the Document Checklist (IMM 5556);
make your payment either on our Web site with a credit card or at a financial institution (e.g. a bank) with an official Receipt (IMM 5401). If you apply for more than one service on a single application, you have to add the cost for each service; and
include the proof of payment.

If you want to apply for a work permit before your application for permanent residence is approved in principle, you will need a job offer letter and an LMO. In this case, you must apply for a work permit at a Canadian visa office:

responsible for your country of residence;
responsible for your country of nationality; or
in the country where you have been legally admitted.

*Approved in principle means that you received a letter from the Case Processing Centre or the local office stating that you are eligible to apply for permanent resident status but that a final decision will not be made until all requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks for you and, if applicable, your family members.

** A family member is a spouse, common-law partner, dependent child or dependent child of a dependent child.

I hope that helps :)

Naomi

rosellyalung

May 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LC1 application vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/08/2010
Hello thanks for the info my husband has a tourist visa and he wants to go here and apply for a work permit because i have the approve in principle already i phoned the cic it will be possible to do that so it means i can apply hhere ?