+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

forgot to export my car

rohit20

Oct 11, 2010
Dear members,
Thanks for your previous help in answering my questions. I want some advice regarding my car.

I have imported the car to canada from usa but forgot to import it. does it make any difference and if yes then what are the corrective actions i should take. Thanks

Reactions: Kiva667

kumbu.bumbu

Jan 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2014
I remember one of my friends who went back to the border and got the necessaration.y forms to register the car in Canada. You may call the customs for further clarific

rohit20

Oct 11, 2010
Thanks for the reply.. I actually forgot to export the car from USA. I already have imported it and registered the vehicle in Canada.

Thanks for your help

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
were you able to get the RIV sticker as well?

rohit20

Oct 11, 2010
yes i was. i am registered in Ontario now. Is there any way that i can rectify this issue..

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
have you called/faxed/emailed the US export office to ask?

jyoung22

Jan 3, 2011
You need to contact the US border agency to request documents for exporting your car... then you have a 72 hour hold on your car where it must be left in the us.
I have a car financed in the US (where i still work) and live in BC. the border guards told me that since I have completed the Form1 to obtain the RIV inspection sticker, that I " MUST " (his words) export it so they can ensure i have proper ICBC insurance. He said it deals with taking it out of the US economy into Canada's. And if it is registered in Canada, who ever the insurance company for your province is will require immediate coverage.
HOWEVER, I say "his words" because I've heard 1,000 conflicting stories from every border agent I have sought assistance from. This is why I'm currently trying to find every way out of exporting my vehicle since it's use for work in the states and still financed/insured as such.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Failing to export the vehicle properly from the U.S. is a customs offense which could subject you to prosecution in the U.S. That said, it has no bearing on its status in Canada as long you properly imported it.

Its not entirely clear when a car needs to be imported/exported in all situations and you probably won't get the most accurate advise from the border guards on either side, if you have a complicated situation. You might have to talk with a lawyer who knows about these things.

asadhalai

Feb 24, 2015
I made the same mistake and drove my vehicle into Canada before 'exporting' it from the US. The Canadian side imported it, now I have my vehicle in Ontario. Its a clean Texas Title which I bought in 2013 when we lived there. Is there a way to rectify it while in Canada?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
asadhalai said:
I made the same mistake and drove my vehicle into Canada before 'exporting' it from the US. The Canadian side imported it, now I have my vehicle in Ontario. Its a clean Texas Title which I bought in 2013 when we lived there. Is there a way to rectify it while in Canada?
you will want to call the agency responsible for the export. i forget what it is. they are pretty helpful. from what i understand, the export is only for "census" information, so i'm not sure it will make a difference.

i'm assuming you imported the car prior to October 2014? because it's pretty impossible now to import it without exporting. there was a new system started in october and the whole process starts with initiating it electronically now. i'm pretty sure the canadian office wouldn't be able to successfully import it without the information provided from the US side.

when specifically was the car imported, and has it been finalized with RIV?

howcoldisit

Dec 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I realize this is some time after the last post, but was anyone who made this mistake able to resolve it?

sudha62001

Aug 19, 2019

I am in the same situation, I didn't export my car and during the border crossing my car was imported temporarily. Can someone tell me what's the formalities to export the car. I can't go back to U.S as my Visa is expired now. Truly appreciate your help.

nazgul86

Jul 31, 2018
Did the same mistake recently, imported my car (fully owned) into Canada (got form 1), without exporting to US first. What's the recommendation? I am planning to relocate back to the states in the future and want to avoid problems.

Last edited:

nanduvijayan

Jan 29, 2020
Did the same mistake recently, imported my car (fully owned) into Canada (got form 1), without exporting to US first. What's the recommendation? I am planning to relocate back to the states in the future and want to avoid problems.
i'm too on the same boat. Please share in case you have received any guidance or solution. Thanks,

nazgul86

Jul 31, 2018
I ended up completing the import process (got license Ontario license plates) however I have not done anything about the export issue. Since I'm planning to relocate back to US in the near future, I think I may just try to not do the export at all at this point...