+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

forgot to export my car

nanduvijayan

Jan 29, 2020
I ended up completing the import process (got license Ontario license plates) however I have not done anything about the export issue. Since I'm planning to relocate back to US in the near future, I think I may just try to not do the export at all at this point...
I also completed the temporary import and completed ON registration as well as got license here. But i heard from my friends that US customs team at the border can't issue import document without having the export details. Without the import document, we cant register the car at US. Hence hoping that I have to complete the export process inorder to avoid any further issues

nazgul86

Jul 31, 2018
I also completed the temporary import and completed ON registration as well as got license here. But i heard from my friends that US customs team at the border can't issue import document without having the export details. Without the import document, we cant register the car at US. Hence hoping that I have to complete the export process inorder to avoid any further issues
I don't think you'd need to import any longer right? since you technically never exported it. If you still have valid license plates, you should be able to drive it back in US I assume.

nanduvijayan

Jan 29, 2020
I don't think you'd need to import any longer right? since you technically never exported it. If you still have valid license plates, you should be able to drive it back in US I assume.
I hav the old license plate, but US registration has now expired as i did not renew it (since i'm at canada now). Now while moving back to US, i have to register again. For that i may need to produce the import document from US border customs. Also i no longer has the original US title with me as Service Ontario didnot return when registered in Canada.

nazgul86

Jul 31, 2018
I hav the old license plate, but US registration has now expired as i did not renew it (since i'm at canada now). Now while moving back to US, i have to register again. For that i may need to produce the import document from US border customs. Also i no longer has the original US title with me as Service Ontario didnot return when registered in Canada.
I kept the original US title and only provided a copy to ServiceOntario as I told them I may need to relocate back. In your case, perhaps you can try getting back your US title by declaring it lost?

Usa2canada<3

Star Member
Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-08-2020
AOR Received.
11-25-2020
I kept the original US title and only provided a copy to ServiceOntario as I told them I may need to relocate back. In your case, perhaps you can try getting back your US title by declaring it lost?
I am currently trying to decide what the best option for me is right now. And i might be traveling down this mistake road. I talked to cbsa today and they told that i could import the car inland after switching the title in the Ontario office over to my wife's name. which prevents all my legal weird hoop jumps of trying to get us insurance while on visa in canada. Because my insurance provider wouldn't issue the policy. Would this be a hug mistake if i didn't export? As far as i know the car could be used in a visit back to the us but not relocated back to the us.
Trying to stay on top of everything and remain legal

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am currently trying to decide what the best option for me is right now. And i might be traveling down this mistake road. I talked to cbsa today and they told that i could import the car inland after switching the title in the Ontario office over to my wife's name. which prevents all my legal weird hoop jumps of trying to get us insurance while on visa in canada. Because my insurance provider wouldn't issue the policy. Would this be a hug mistake if i didn't export? As far as i know the car could be used in a visit back to the us but not relocated back to the us.
Trying to stay on top of everything and remain legal
You don’t have a choice you have to import the car if you want to keep using it in Canada. You won’t be able to keep getting it insured or registered forever in Canada if you and your spouse are residing in Canada.

BentoBox19

Feb 23, 2021
Hey Nazgul86,

Thank you so much for your contributions. I am in a similar situation, so I found your advice very valuable.

Due to the border restriction, I am not able to complete the US export process. So I need to retain my original US title.
However, I understand that we have to give the original to Service Ontario when we get the Ontario plates.

You mentioned that you were able to give in a copy of the US title. I think I'll need to do that as well.

I was wondering how you were able to do that and what the process was like.

Thank you so much!

Hélène2

Sep 6, 2021
I imported my car into Canada in May 2020 but failed to export it. I would like to return to US with it. my car is registered and plated in Quélec. I do have A copy of my title only. The agent took the Original when registered it in Québec. Is there anyway I can export now without penalty? I need help.

Hélène2

Sep 6, 2021
i Need to be clear here. I didn’t forget to export my, I failed to do it. It was in the pandemic and i was overwhelmed..

missedTheGCBus

Star Member
Sep 8, 2022
i Need to be clear here. I didn’t forget to export my, I failed to do it. It was in the pandemic and i was overwhelmed..
What did you end up doing? I have the same problem, I have imported the car in Canada, still has US plates since I haven't registered it yet in BC.
But I want to move back in 2-3 years, can I just skip the export process. The car is in my wife's name and she doesn't have a visa for the US currently so doing the export would be hard, looking for any guidance