+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Forgot to change maritial status to "Legally separated" before ITA

Wedding Crasher

Jan 29, 2018
When I created my EE profile last year my wife have already filed for divorce, but I put my martial status as "married" because the divorce was not granted yet, so i kept the status as married with non-accompanying spouse. A couple of months later when I applied to Alberta PNP, i put the martial status as "legally separated" in PNP forms after doing some research and understanding what the term means, and i got my nomination. But i forgot to change the status in EE profile to "legally separated". Now that I have gotten ITA , i cannot change it anymore, and I couldnt risk declining ITA because my profile expires on 25 July, and I may not be able to secure ITA before profile expiry, and alberta doesn't transfer nominations.

I will notify IRCC of this in my letter of explanation, but have i committed misrepresentation?

hodari

Mar 28, 2018
Quebec
No, if you explain it in an LOE and let them know that you did it for your PNP and simply forgot to change it in your profile - they will not consider it as misrepresentation.

If you have divorce papers, upload them in the section for marriage certificate along with the LoE.

Wedding Crasher

Jan 29, 2018
No, if you explain it in an LOE and let them know that you did it for your PNP and simply forgot to change it in your profile - they will not consider it as misrepresentation.

If you have divorce papers, upload them in the section for marriage certificate along with the LoE.
Thanks for the info. Divorce is not finalized yet. I didn't sign the papers because i dont agree to the terms. Will this be a problem in the PR process?

hodari

Mar 28, 2018
Quebec
If divorce is not finalized, you will need to provide proof of legal separation instead. I'm not sure exactly what this entails but any legal court-issued documents and affidavits you might have could suffice.

You must prove legal separation otherwise you will be asked to provide pcc's and medical clearance for your spouse, which I'm sure you'll want to avoid.