+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Foreign work experience 2 years and 10months

Preetish HS

Jun 19, 2018
Hi everyone,
I have a question regarding foreign work experience.
I have worked in company A from June 2015 - SEP 2015 ( 3 months)
And Company B from SEP 2015 - JUNE 2018 ( 2 years 10 months)

Can I claim this as 3 or more years of experience? Or is it still 2 years of experience.

Last edited:

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hi everyone,
I have a wuesques regarding foreign work experience.
I have worked in company A from June 2015 - SEP 2015 ( 3 months)
And Company B from SEP 2015 - JUNE 2018 ( 2 years 10 months)

Can I claim this as 3 or more years of experience? Or is it still 2 years of experience.
If both of the jobs are NOC type 0, A, or B type and you can provide reference letter as per IRCC guidelines then yes you can claim 3 years of experience!

Preetish HS

Jun 19, 2018
If both of the jobs are NOC type 0, A, or B type and you can provide reference letter as per IRCC guidelines then yes you can claim 3 years of experience!
Thanks for the reply. Yes both jobs are of same NOC type. But the first job is just 3 months will that still be considered? I have seen posts which says minimum 1year of experience is required in a company if that has to be considered.

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
Thanks for the reply. Yes both jobs are of same NOC type. But the first job is just 3 months will that still be considered? I have seen posts which says minimum 1year of experience is required in a company if that has to be considered.
Minimum 1 year experience is required within last 10 years to be eligible for Express Entry Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) which you already have from your second job.

You can claim maximum 3 years crs points and maximum 6 years for eligibility points. You can show as many jobs as you want to make up three years for Comprehansive Ranking System (crs) points or 6 years for eligibility points.

You need to do little bit of research on this whole program. Please check ircc website for details or read all the pinned threads of this forum. I can give you intruduction here-

You have to score 67 eligibility points out of available 100 points on Six Selection Factors. If you become eligible then you can join EE pool where you will be ranked based on 1200 ranking points. IRCC invites certain number of top ranked applicants every month. If you receive invitation then you can apply for Permanent Residence.
Please read about "six selection factors" and "comprehansive ranking system".

Good Luck!

Reactions: Preetish HS

Preetish HS

Jun 19, 2018
Minimum 1 year experience is required within last 10 years to be eligible for Express Entry Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) which you already have from your second job.

You can claim maximum 3 years crs points and maximum 6 years for eligibility points. You can show as many jobs as you want to make up three years for Comprehansive Ranking System (crs) points or 6 years for eligibility points.

You need to do little bit of research on this whole program. Please check ircc website for details or read all the pinned threads of this forum. I can give you intruduction here-

You have to score 67 eligibility points out of available 100 points on Six Selection Factors. If you become eligible then you can join EE pool where you will be ranked based on 1200 ranking points. IRCC invites certain number of top ranked applicants every month. If you receive invitation then you can apply for Permanent Residence.
Please read about "six selection factors" and "comprehansive ranking system".

Good Luck!
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have understood the 67 point system of basic eligibility criteria and CRS scoring system also.
In the points calculator with highest IELTS score and 2 years of experience I get 416,
But making it 3 years will make the points 441!

So I was wondering if my first 3months of job can be considered, th points would increase in a great margin. And yes I can get letters of reference from both companies as per the guidelines provided. I went through many questions in this forum and Quora and couldn't get any clear answer. Now I think I got a clear answer from you that it can be considered. Thanks :)

Reactions: ishq74

Preetish HS

Jun 19, 2018
@ishq74 I just contacted 2 agencies about the work experience and they are telling me that I cannot use my 3months experience. My 2 year 9months experience will only be counted as 2years of experience since experience is entered in years in cic website.

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
@ishq74 I just contacted 2 agencies about the work experience and they are telling me that I cannot use my 3months experience. My 2 year 9months experience will only be counted as 2years of experience since experience is entered in years in cic website.
That says all about these so called immigration exparts! They never been in the process and never did for someone else. You are required to enter month and the year. But your experience letter must mention the exact date. System will count months but later at assessment stage a case officer will recalculate manually your total tenure with the companies. For example if you mention Jan 2018 to March 2018 then system will count this as 3 months but if your letter says 10th Jan 2018 to 31st March 2018 then your experience will not be counted as 3 months by the Case officer.

I would suggest you to do IELTS and ECA and enter details in the system. You will see by yourself whether or not you are awarded adequate points.

And please be awar of these immigration consultants. This EE system is so robust and easy to understand if you do little bit of research.

Good Luck!

Sameen Raian

Jan 9, 2024
That says all about these so called immigration exparts! They never been in the process and never did for someone else. You are required to enter month and the year. But your experience letter must mention the exact date. System will count months but later at assessment stage a case officer will recalculate manually your total tenure with the companies. For example if you mention Jan 2018 to March 2018 then system will count this as 3 months but if your letter says 10th Jan 2018 to 31st March 2018 then your experience will not be counted as 3 months by the Case officer.

I would suggest you to do IELTS and ECA and enter details in the system. You will see by yourself whether or not you are awarded adequate points.

And please be awar of these immigration consultants. This EE system is so robust and easy to understand if you do little bit of research.

Good Luck!
Hello. I had a similar question. My husband has total 2 years of foreign work experience. 1 year in teer 1 and 1 year in a different job in teer 2. Can I count 2 years of foreign work experience while calculating his crs score? I am confused as the question mentions “only in 1 occupation”.